Confused

Medic-554

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
First Responder
Paramedic
Good evening everyone. I’m at adds as to what to do.
My wife and I love in the northeast and we tow at least several times 4 months a year. We currently tow conventionally with a travel trailer. We have 2018 GMC Sierra 1500. Limited to 9100# We want to upgrade to either a more solid durable travel trailer or a 5th wheel. So we want a 2500 something.

she loves GMC. Its been reliable for us for 10 years. I’m bored with GMC. It’s not fun. It doesn’t excite me. The Tremor however looks amazing and badass. However. The amount of issues I read on these and other forums is concerning. Death Wobble, radio issues, shoddy workmanship and builds, leaking sunroofs, etc...etc...etc.

Are my concerns legit? Do I stay with a brand that I have had ZERO issues with?
Talk to me folks. Thanks for the help.

Read enough forums for the different brands and you'll find they're all terrible and you should never buy anything new ever again. :p

Vehicles are insanely complicated and there's bound to be issues with some of them. Heck, arguably most of them will have something wrong with them!

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about buying a new truck from any of the brands. They all have their pluses and minuses that largely boil down to personal preference. The Tremor is a sweet package. If it gets you excited, go for it! If your wife has her heart set on a GMC, then consider that strongly. Happy wife, happy life and all. :D

A huge factor for me deciding to go with Ford is that I have a dealership with a service department I already trust. Switching brands would mean finding a new service department I can trust and I don't want to deal with that.

Agree with CCW. I had a 2015 GMC (brand new) and couldn’t dump it fast enough. Constant issues with it. I’m only 6 months into my F350 and zero issues so far which is far better than my GMC at this time of ownership. I think it is just luck of the draw sometimes. I almost went with a GMC again (AT4 package is pretty sweet).

My friends have had 2 gmc trucks go down to 5 mph on the highway. Just no power. Unexplained. 2 different trucks same issue.

Also try building 1 million of anything with 3/4 parties components without one issue.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat. My first truck in 1992 was a Ford and I bought my first Chevy in 1996. I’ve been driving Chevy and GMC ever since but Ford has always had a special place in my heart.
My chevy/GMC’s have always been great trucks and have treated me very well. Problem is that they just don’t seem to have evolved as well as Ford and Ram, especially the interior. I agree, they just aren’t exciting anymore. My dad has a Ram and it’s been a decent truck overall but the Cummins engine has been a constant problem since it 100k which is pretty ridiculous.
I look at it this way... Hoyt and Matthews, Glock and Sig, Sitka and Kuiu etc. They are all going to have pros and cons and if you go looking long enough you’re going to find folks who love them and folks who have had nothing but problems with them.
I went with Ford this time and love my Tremor. I’m happy with the purchase and will likely make my future choices, not on brand, but what the particular models have to offer and what fills my needs at the time.
If you do buy the Ford, I don’t think that you’ll be disappointed. If you but the GMC your lady will be happy and that’s never a bad thing. Take em both for a spin and one of them will likely speak to you. Good luck and please keep us posted on your decision.

I was very concerned with the various issues but I kept telling myself that you hear all the bad stories but only a small percentage of the satisfied vast majority.

I also strongly suspect the negative percentage is somewhat higher given all the supply issues related to Covid. Why that should negatively impact the production of quality parts or finished trucks I can only put down to higher than normal employee turnover and increased pressure to get the parts and trucks out the door.

Last edited:
However. The amount of issues I read on these and other forums is concerning. Death Wobble, radio issues, shoddy workmanship and builds, leaking sunroofs, etc...etc...etc.

Are my concerns legit? Do I stay with a brand that I have had ZERO issues with?
Talk to me folks. Thanks for the help.

It is hard to move away from a brand you have had no issues, so please read their forums before making a final decision. I am sure you will find just as many issues with GMC, if you look hard enough.

I have been driving Ford trucks all my life and have not experienced any of the items you listed above in 30+ years. I do not recall anyone on here saying they had the death wobble with their Tremors, but as others have said, there are always stories on the forums. As far as shoddy workmanship, my special order was built right after the holiday shutdown without any known build quality issues. My last four Ford F150s never went to a dealership for warranty work in the 12+ years that I owned them, so I chose to stick with the brand I have had ZERO issues with.

If you like the look of the GM, don't mind wax coating on frame, like independent front torsion bar set up, are ok with a less capable 4x4 system and the price works for you...go for it
I did not care for the above- I had a '17 2500 duramax- great truck but the Tremor was the right tool for my needs-
Go 3500 or f350 if getting the diesel - unless your state nails you on fees, insurance req's etc- hate to find the fiver of your dreams but don't have the payload cap...

I firmly believe there is no real difference in quality between the 3 hd truck brands so it comes down to luck on the truck you get. Not sure I would get a first year engine or trans again but other than that they are all about the same, and have about average quality.

If you like the look of the GM, don't mind wax coating on frame, like independent front torsion bar set up, are ok with a less capable 4x4 system and the price works for you...go for it
I did not care for the above- I had a '17 2500 duramax- great truck but the Tremor was the right tool for my needs-
Go 3500 or f350 if getting the diesel - unless your state nails you on fees, insurance req's etc- hate to find the fiver of your dreams but don't have the payload cap...
Big +1 to getting a 350 if you ever might tow a fifth wheel. The heavier tongue weight means you’ll likely be overweight on payload with many (most?) 250 configurations.

Today, Many consumers consider the "Corporate Values" and "Political Affiliations" of the major car manufacturers before investing... There are difference between GM and Ford.... My money went with Ford!??

Last edited:
@Medic-554, great thread and questions. Let me start by saying every point presented so far in the responses are valid and worth considering. You came to the right place to find help with your dilemma.

First and foremost, consider your wife's desires heavily, especially if she's participating in the driving part. I would strongly suggest getting her into the driver's seat of the trucks you are choosing between and get a feel for them. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples or the decision will be skewed.

Secondly and very important as well, when researching via public forum, know and understand that those that are dissatisfied speak out the most by a high percentage. You don't get an accurate percentage of satisfaction vs dissatisfaction, especially considering the total number of vehicles sold for each brand. A frustrated customer carries an inordinate amount of "weight". Statistically the American full size trucks are all very reliable and extremely capable for what they are designed to do.

Make sure you are getting what you need for your plans. Upgrading to a heavier trailer/fifth wheel demands that you consider what your truck is rated for. This has been covered but don't compromise for economy, especially if you don't know how heavy your future trailer will be. Payload will be your limiting factor. Your truck of choice may eliminate your favorite trailer due to payload limits.

I have posted often and I can say you won't find any regrets to date on my choice. I've driven full size Fords since 1976 and I've never had a problem vehicle from Ford. Any truck can and probably will have a safety recall these days. They are extremely complex and rich in safety related systems which are highly regulated and monitored. The companies generally handle such things very systematically to the satisfaction of most owners.

Help your wife see the value of the Tremor for your needs, get her into some super duties to get a feel for them and make a balanced decision together. Hope this helps and hope you guys are able to agree the Tremor is right for you. ?

Last edited:
Buy Ford, they are the only one's who didn't take a bailout and screw their retirees by cutting pension.

I agree with others in that the issues appear to be across the board with the 3 mfg's and is somewhat luck of the draw if your going to have no issues, some issues or alot of issues. Death wobble seems to happen more with ford from my research but happens in other trucks also. Ive had true death wobble on my 17' f250 gas. There's decent documentation on various fixes for DW as well as the symptoms of if it's going to happen. Fords TSB ON "sustained wheel oscillation" outlines some of the weak front end components that contribute to DW. Adjusting caster, using a higher quality steering stabalizer, verifying wheels are balanced properly and having good alignment specs may also help. Death wobble sucks but I did my research ahead of time as I could tell my bump steer was getting worse. After I had death wobble I went to my dealership with a print out of the TSB i got off line and my truck was fixed in 24 to 48 hours if I remember correctly. I should have done it sooner but was lazy about it.

As others have said, the forums, for the most part is over saturated with issue complaints. For every complaint you see on here, there are 1000s of happy customers. Think about, are you gonna go onto a forum and complain that your truck is amazing and has zero issue? Probably not.

On any brand/vehicle specific forum you're gonna find post after post of complaints but just realize statistically these are very uncommon, you're seeing a higher concentration than the real world.

Back