Built Right Bed Racks Ideas

On a positive note, I stopped by Rotopax HQ yesterday which was interesting to see all of their products. Currently there are “blem” items on their website for 50% off. No noticeable imperfections so give them a try.

To copy your Rotopax setup I would need a blem 2gal diesel tank, blem 2gal gas tank, standard/deluxe pack mount, a Rotopax extension to go 2-up, and a mount from Built Right?

I do a lot of fabrication, but usually get a bit intimidated by electrical stuff. I haven’t been able to find a good, easy wiring diagram to understand how the twin ARB wires to the battery and upfitter switches.
I’m usually intimidated also but it was easy except digging those upfitter wires under that fuse box.
I ordered a wiring harness from expedition essentials and then contacted ARB to get the right wire (purple, cut the others off) for the upfitter. The harness plugged into the compressor and then into the ARB harness at the battery. My build is here,

Last edited:
I'm leery about putting a gun in my truck...Especially considering where I live. Looks awesome though!

You live in Texas and you're leery of putting a gun in your truck? I'm not understanding. High crime area?

I don't know how you guys got so lucky on the alignment of your panels with the RetraxPro XR mounts but mine do not line up with the holes in the Built Right panels.

Also, one of the bolt heads holding the rear tie downs was stripped from the factory. Pretty sure it was due to cross threading so have been unable to get it out and finish this project.

In case your racks didn’t come with instructions, like my set:
You’ll need Torx bits and an 11mm wrench.
097C23C1-9F0A-4CAA-8960-19E77AF7E12E.jpeg

I don't know how you guys got so lucky on the alignment of your panels with the RetraxPro XR mounts but mine do not line up with the holes in the Built Right panels.

Also, one of the bolt heads holding the rear tie downs was stripped from the factory. Pretty sure it was due to cross threading so have been unable to get it out and finish this project.
I went to Home Depot right away, brought in the stock hardware and went to town. I’m a stickler on scratches, even on the back side of my racks. Actually not that narcotic but figured I’d add some rubber grommets and some star washers to keep things from loosening up. I know what you mean. Getting the Rotopax to fit perfectly is like playing Tetris but with some patience it ultimately worked.

My dual cans fit perfect, and they pretty much make contact with the bottom of the bed so they aren’t 100% weight bearing.

However after writing that I realized I also had a bed rug and Ford Factory rubber bed mat over the bed rug. So that added the some “height” to the bed relieving some of the weight. You could however get crafty with other materials to and add them under your cans to get them better aligned.

FYI this was how I had things set up on my Raptor, and I absolutely put some off-road miles on that truck and the Built Right Racks. I love them, and they have great customer service.

Side note on Rotopax... I had a fuel tank start to chafe on one the “nipples” and got a pinhole which would leak fuel under pressure. I originally bought the cans from Built Right, they had STELLAR customer service and ultimately I worked with Rotopax on the replacement.

Again... Rotopax was awesome to deal with and they handled a warranty replacement no problem. They just needed me to drill a 1/4 hole to make the pinhole more visible and send some pictures. I had a trip planned and was telling that to whomever was in customer service. They sent the replacement can, and some other stuff I ordered via Fed Ex 2 day. I sent them a very gracious thank you email.

Back on track... getting those cans aligned is a pain. I bought a 7/16 flex head ratcheting end wrench to help make life easier to move things around my racks.

Another easy way to mock things up... just keep removing the Built Right Racks from the Box Link mounts and make your adjustments on your tailgate or workbench.

Also not sure if you bought the Built Right Rotopax mounts/plates but that also helps tremendously. Not cheap but if you’re going to do it... buy once and cry once.

I didn't find any good solutions to what I needed so I designed some T6061 inserts to fit into the BR panels to hold l-track and some other things. I'm running them on my CNC mill.

I'll post back after I get them installed and things laid out like I want..

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 3.09.03 PM.png

Back