Built Right Bed Racks Ideas

202ED414-E64F-4774-9D4A-6BABE12288A4.jpeg

Heya guys, we've identified more than 20 patterns and uses and prototyped a half-dozen of these things we've now call molle turtles. They enable you to install without tools on the backside of rigid molle panels from a number of vendors, but they also unlock the ability to really setup your panels in a dense and more flexible way. For instance, my shovel mount needed to be a bit higher to clear my fender well - turtles to the rescue. Yes, some of similar things exist in the market, but ours fit perfect and have a number of patterns required to be super flexible.. these are precision milled by me on CNC using USA made 6061 aluminum and are precision fit so no rattling, perfect and strong threads, etc.

For instance, that rotopax mount in the picture isn't mounted with a turtle, in my setup I would like it to be raised just a bit on the middle of the panel. Plus, to install it, or move it around I have to take the entire panel off. Turtles save all of that hassle and you can layout things to your desires. We have plans for the slots too.

Little market survey here if anyone is interested.. does this sound interesting enough that you would be willing to pay for it? Like if they where about $12-$15/each (similar to others out there).

img01.png

img02.png

Last edited:
Heya guys, we've identified more than 20 patterns and uses and prototyped a half-dozen of these things we've now call molle turtles. They enable you to install without tools on the backside of rigid molle panels from a number of vendors, but they also unlock the ability to really setup your panels in a dense and more flexible way. For instance, my shovel mount needed to be a bit higher to clear my fender well - turtles to the rescue. Yes, some of similar things exist in the market, but ours fit perfect and have a number of patterns required to be super flexible.. these are precision milled by me on CNC using USA made 6061 aluminum and are precision fit so no rattling, perfect and strong threads, etc.

For instance, that rotopax mount in the picture isn't mounted with a turtle, in my setup I would like it to be raised just a bit on the middle of the panel. Plus, to install it, or move it around I have to take the entire panel off. Turtles save all of that hassle and you can layout things to your desires. We have plans for the slots too.

Little market survey here if anyone is interested.. does this sound interesting enough that you would be willing to pay for it? Like if they where about $12-$15/each (similar to others out there).

View attachment 39232
View attachment 39233

Honestly? I think the price is a bit high. That said I also understand the cost inherent to a one-off machining process. Conceptually, I'm in.

I just bought the racks, so I don't have a specific use case in mind yet. The challenge is estimating a reasonable number to request. Offhand, I'd wager a dozen might be a good place to start - but that does get pricey, doesn't it?

Honestly? I think the price is a bit high. That said I also understand the cost inherent to a one-off machining process. Conceptually, I'm in.

I just bought the racks, so I don't have a specific use case in mind yet. The challenge is estimating a reasonable number to request. Offhand, I'd wager a dozen might be a good place to start - but that does get pricey, doesn't it?
Yeah, I think for a dozen, the price should be lessened significantly. Ideally you would want to have a bin of these so you can reconfigure whenever you get new stuff, have new adventures, etc. The price would need to take that into consideration. Thx a ton for the feedback.

Yeah, I think for a dozen, the price should be lessened significantly. Ideally you would want to have a bin of these so you can reconfigure whenever you get new stuff, have new adventures, etc. The price would need to take that into consideration. Thx a ton for the feedback.
Well, if you decide to move forward, I am interested.
Message me when and if you want to proceed.

Question for the brain trust.

Does anyone know if the larger Built Right rack would fit in front of the wheel well? You'd have to switch and put drivers side on passenger but not sure if there would be room. Anyone try it or see any issue why it wouldn't work?

Question for the brain trust.

Does anyone know if the larger Built Right rack would fit in front of the wheel well? You'd have to switch and put drivers side on passenger but not sure if there would be room. Anyone try it or see any issue why it wouldn't work?
I see where you are going with it. I have the full bed setup. I would say that you would need to cut some spots off, thus really getting less use out of it. But hey, it's your dime. If you want to do it, do it!

I see where you are going with it. I have the full bed setup. I would say that you would need to cut some spots off, thus really getting less use out of it. But hey, it's your dime. If you want to do it, do it!
Definitely don't wanna have to hack it up but if it's minor trimming, I might be okay with that. Seems like if you out anything on the small one that you lose the tie down point.

Definitely don't wanna have to hack it up but if it's minor trimming, I might be okay with that. Seems like if you out anything on the small one that you lose the tie down point.
I looked at my bed after sending that comment. I think the biggest loss is because where the bed corner terminates into the front that receives the cab, there is a sharper and taller corner. I think you lose a substantial amount of flat surface area to play with. Otherwise, like you, I would have liked for the bow/forward sections to have been a bit bigger.

I am not sure which thread I saw it in, but someone here had a rack system that mounted on the back of the bed by the cab. I a looking at mounting some recovery boards there if some one knows who makes the rack. It's not a BR, but looked similar.

I am not sure which thread I saw it in, but someone here had a rack system that mounted on the back of the bed by the cab. I a looking at mounting some recovery boards there if some one knows who makes the rack. It's not a BR, but looked similar.
It's Putco but pricey.

Yeah. I want it but if I buy that, no way I can afford anything to put on it.
After going to the manufacturer’s site, I am questioning the price listed in your link. I may also reach out to BR and see if they’ve got anything in the works

@SKEME_SOLO has the putco installed. I love the look and fit, but until now did not realize it cost that much.

Post in thread 'Putco Inside Truck Bed Molle Panels'
https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/putco-inside-truck-bed-molle-panels.7103/post-176975
I am fixing to start drawing some full panels up today because I just don’t want to pay what buildright or putco is asking form them , I really think I can do them for a lot less but they won’t be in a fancy package and will not have any instructions just the panels and that’s it. It’s just going to take me a little to work them in because my laser’s are so busy right now but I’m in no hurry to get them on my truck.

A bit pricey for that back piece. But im glad I got it. Saves space.
20211212_134030.jpg

Attachments

• 20211212_134157.jpg
    20211212_134157.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 20211212_133514.jpg
    20211212_133514.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20211212_133445.jpg
    20211212_133445.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20211212_133506.jpg