Any 1000 yd shooters?

Hunterman

Tremor Addict
Joined
Oct 24, 2020
Messages
1,197
Reaction Points
1,760
Location
Sacramento, CA
Current Ride #1
Chevy 2500JD
I’m good to 600 yards. Where do I start with door out to 1000 yards with a 308? At 600 yards I’m dialing 17-18 MOA depending on bullet weight. Never shot 1000 yards. If anyone has experience with a 308 @ 1000 what’s your dope?

I finally got a place to shoot out to 1200 and beyond
 
I’m good to 600 yards. Where do I start with door out to 1000 yards with a 308? At 600 yards I’m dialing 17-18 MOA depending on bullet weight. Never shot 1000 yards. If anyone has experience with a 308 @ 1000 what’s your dope?

I finally got a place to shoot out to 1200 and beyond
awesome

ya know how this forum helps you spend money

well its not just for trucks

now you need a new rifle & scope for 1200yds

a .308 ain't it. starts going subsonic at 800yds. creates instability after that. control is lost at that point. if you are on target it's luck at that point. lightest, highest velocity rounds maybe you can achieve some consistent.

ai your dope for where you are on. it should get you close for the range you want.

500yds is all i have access to
what a kick
enjoy
 
I envy you guys. I can't do it. My first distance shooting was 100-200 yards withe a .30-30, I always have had the shakes. Drawing from concealed with my 9 mm I can be accurate to 25 yards easy but scopes or open sights I have a hard time focusing. My brother was into sniper stuff for awhile and then went to the big elephant guns but pulled back to auto 12 gauges for his grizzly bear problems.

I would love to have the skill and eyesight for a 1,000 yard shot. I definitely envy this.
 
600 yards is tops for me, and about .75 MOA is what I’m good for at that distance.

I’ve got the spot, but I need to haul the skid out there to build a berm to go to 1000. Have fun. It’s all math. Understand the math, read a little weather and don’t yank the trigger and I suspect all will be good.
 
308 is quite capable of going past 1000m but bullet choice matters, and you will be fighting wind. There are other calibers that make it easier, of course. At the very least you’ll want to use 175gr SMK or TMK, or one of the other super low drag bullets.

Personally, I prefer 50 bmg. We run it out past a mile without any issues on my m2hb. Nice loud gong audible even with ear-pro on when it smacks steel at that distance.

IMG_6307.webp


But for starting out in precision rifle, 6.5 creedmoor is plentiful, has lots of good loadings out there, decent barrel life, and isn’t too expensive. It’ll still be supersonic past 1000m and can reach a mile, but starts to see the same issues as 308 past that once it slows down.

If you really want to stretch the distance then you may consider a long action cartridge. One of my employees favors 300 prc, and has no issues out to 2000m. Another employee uses 300 norma for his long range rig. There’s a lot of ways to skin that cat, but it gets expensive real quick. Long range shooting is a deep dark bottomless pit of money.
 
I've had my .300 win mag out to 1600 yards on a 12" plate. Things really started getting accurate when I started reloading. Watching groups narrow as you perfect your seating depth and powder charge is tremendous (and expensive) fun.
 
I do 1,000 years almost every other night! Easy peasy. 🤪
 
Get a ballistic program and load your bullet data and MV figure out your drop. 168gr with a 2700 MV your going be dialing 35ish MOA or 10ish MIL. for a 1000yd. You need a chrono your round to get accurate MZ. Do not use the ammo box MV, I have never found it to be accurate.

I chopped my 308 down to 18" and added a can almost a decade ago so I don't shoot much past 800 with my 308 these days.
Have fun and good Luck!
 
168 smk is awful for 1000. It was designed for match use inside 600, and tumbles at 1000. You’ll see keyholes if you shoot paper at that distance since it loses stability in the transition to subsonic speeds.
 


The kestrel app will be a good place to start.
 
.308 at 1,000yds takes a bit of science to achieve. You might even need to develop your on hand loads.
Now...the effect of .308 at 1,000yds might not be good, but it can travel 1,000yds for sure.

:cool: :cool: :coffee: :coffee: 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
 
Keep us posted on your progress. I don't have reloading equipment and all of my shooting friends say it is a must for long distance shooting.
 
I have a 6mm 08 Ruger precision that will do it, but I never have.
 
I’m good to 600 yards. Where do I start with door out to 1000 yards with a 308? At 600 yards I’m dialing 17-18 MOA depending on bullet weight. Never shot 1000 yards. If anyone has experience with a 308 @ 1000 what’s your dope?

I finally got a place to shoot out to 1200 and beyond
I have shot my .308 at 1000 yards. It is not the round for the job. As Godzilla/Tremonator said, it tends to go subsonic at 800+ yards. That is even with hand loaded 168 boat tail match grad bullets. It is not that efficient of a round ballistically. It was designed a very long time ago. A 6.5 Creedmore or many other calibers will get you to 1000 yards and beyond. Since you asked. Here is my DOPE for my AR-10, MIL scope, with a bullet leaving the barrel at 2610 fps at 2300 ft altitude:

Screenshot 2026-10-01 084557.webp
 
A good friend has a 1000 yd .308. He developed his own loads and has a $4500 vortex scope. He wanted a mile gun. The .308 went in the closet and the 7 mag came out. As others posted 1200 is reaching with a .308. Not impossible but gonna take a lot.
 
Just bite the bullet and build out a Cheytac, distance won't be a problem again.
 
We don't have many spots around here to reach out that far - in a real world scenario. I am just getting my distances in now - 100 yards is far for VT hunting. I have been having fun at 200 yards, and am looking to learning more. Most of the time I am using a .308.
 
168 smk is awful for 1000. It was designed for match use inside 600, and tumbles at 1000. You’ll see keyholes if you shoot paper at that distance since it loses stability in the transition to subsonic speeds.
It will do ok if you have room in the magwell to seat longer than saami COL and load slightly above book value...😉

Who shoots paper at 1000 anyways...no sound...boring..🤣
 
 
Back
Top Bottom