HOT! Alternative to the Ford Performance Winch at less than half the cost???

The remote connections are going to a box I built, the APEX winch allows for relocation of the winch relay and controller box. That box has been relocated behind the grille, I will try to move it behind the bumper on the next install so access is more readily available.
The clutch handle is accessible through the holes next to the fairlead and there is enough room to articulate the handle. Yes, ford did a custom clocking on their winch and an extension so it reaches the front of the bumper.

The badland APEX winch is very cost effective, and from thr research I've done theyre very capable. I will definitely be putting this one through the tests.
In the video you posted, that APEX winch ran very nicely. Good line speed. A nice sounding motor. I watched the next video from the same guy and he worked it even harder, and took it apart after it pulled so hard it bent its mounting plate from Smittybuilt.
 
In the video you posted, that APEX winch ran very nicely. Good line speed. A nice sounding motor. I watched the next video from the same guy and he worked it even harder, and took it apart after it pulled so hard it bent its mounting plate from Smittybuilt.
I saw that video, he really put the winch through its paces.
 
I have adaptive cruise, so if I can help you figure that part out, let me know.
If you're willing to schedule a time to come down to Vegas we can test fit one on your truck and come up with a mount for the adaptive cruise.
 
Can you fit a Warn 16.5ti-s in the factory bumper location, and sell a bracket kit for that?

0003916_165ti-s-heavyweight-winch-97740_625.webp
 
Can you fit a Warn 16.5ti-s in the factory bumper location, and sell a bracket kit for that?

View attachment 17675

The dimensions are pretty close so I’m sure it would fit, the only issue is this mount isn’t set up for foot forward winches.

I’m definitely interested either way. I would love to have the 16.5ti behind the bumper. I’ll buy the mount and make a cardboard mock up and see how difficult it would be to modify or settle for the 12k.

any idea on a price?
 
So I posted this on Facebook and I received many comments to come here and post it as well.

I've been working on a winch kit to fit a 12k APEX Badland winch into my Tremor. The kit is near completion and I wanted to show you guys how it looks. If you're not familiar with the APEX Badland winch it's a Harbor Freight 12k winch that was designed to be heads up competiton for the Warn Zeon 12k but at a fraction of the cost. This guy sums it up below-

So I wanted to order the winch kit when I ordered my truck but the $3k price tag kind of turned me off of it. I figured I could do better so that's what I set out to do. Here's a glimpse of what I've got in the works!

View attachment 17559View attachment 17560View attachment 17561View attachment 17562View attachment 17563

So I've got the design finalized, I sent it over to my buddy to cut out on his water jet. As soon as I have those pieces back we're going to test assemble it and document the install. If everything works well, I plan on offering these for purchase as a "U Weld It" Kit. At the end of the day I expect this to cost less than half of what the Ford Performance Winch kit costs when you're all in.

If you're interested, stay tuned!!!
It looks sweet!! Great way to make a alternate kit!!
 
If you're willing to schedule a time to come down to Vegas we can test fit one on your truck and come up with a mount for the adaptive cruise.
May be able to just use the ACC relocate kit from either ADD or DV8 and move it up into the grill.
 
It might fit, only way to know for sure is to test fit it. I dont have a winch to test fit so I won't know for sure.
The dimensions are pretty close so I’m sure it would fit, the only issue is this mount isn’t set up for foot forward winches.

I’m definitely interested either way. I would love to have the 16.5ti behind the bumper. I’ll buy the mount and make a cardboard mock up and see how difficult it would be to modify or settle for the 12k.

any idea on a price?

Following this thread. I would also be VERY interested in mounting a 16.5ti behind the bumper. Curious what you guys come up with.
 
For so long, everyone got by just fine with 8,000 lb winches. I used one a lot, for years, and was never underpowered.

Then the 12,000 lb winch became popular. It became a must have. Even on lightweight Jeeps. Bigger is always perceived as better.

Now, the 16,000 lb winch is becomming the next minimum size.

I wonder how many guys actually use winches, I know some of you have a lot of experience with them, but many do not. Why does someone feel they need a 16,000 lb winch to get unstuck? Ever hear of a snatch block?

How strong do you think the Tremor bracket is, or the frame it bolts to? What makes anyone think it could withstand a 16,000 lb pull without tearing the front of the truck off?

That is why snatch blocks are so good, they double the pulling power, and apply half the load to a different point than the winch.
 
Last edited:
For so long, everyone got by just fine with 8,000 lb winches. I used one a lot, for years, and was never underpowered.

Then the 12,000 lb winch became popular. It became a must have. Even on lightweight Jeeps. Bigger is always perceived as better.

Now, the 16,000 lb winch is becomming the next minimum size.

I wonder how many guys actually use winches, I know some of you have a lot of experience with them, but many do not. Why does someone feel they need a 16,000 lb winch to get unstuck? Ever hear of a snatch block?

How strong do you think the Tremor bracket is, or the frame it bolts to? What makes anyone think it could withstand a 16,000 lb pull without tearing the front of the truck off?

That is why snatch blocks are so good, they double the pulling power, and apply half the load to a different point than the winch.
For my particular use a 16.5 is genuinely needed. My rig is for full time overlanding (my residence) and has a camper permanently attached. My wet weight is right around 10,000 lbs! Given the gold standard of 1.5-2x weight for winch sizing, that lands me squarely in a 16.5 winch.

Yes, I still use snatch blocks as often as possible. Sometimes it's not practical/possible, even with 150' of extension line. I often travel in places where good winching points are hard to come by and land anchors can't reliably unstuck a 10,000 lb rig in certain conditions. While I wish I could get away with a hidden 12k it's much smarter and safer to go with a 15 or likely 16.5 winch. There's really no good reason not to for a 10,000 lb rig. Purposely buying an underpowered winch to "just use snatch blocks" would be foolish and impractical. Through my conversations with the tech folks of the various winch carrier manufacturers, the tow hooks of the Tremor have been throughly tested with 16,500 lb pulls so depending on the bracketing configuration, this is something of genuine interest.
 
Last edited:
So I posted this on Facebook and I received many comments to come here and post it as well.

I've been working on a winch kit to fit a 12k APEX Badland winch into my Tremor. The kit is near completion and I wanted to show you guys how it looks. If you're not familiar with the APEX Badland winch it's a Harbor Freight 12k winch that was designed to be heads up competiton for the Warn Zeon 12k but at a fraction of the cost. This guy sums it up below-

So I wanted to order the winch kit when I ordered my truck but the $3k price tag kind of turned me off of it. I figured I could do better so that's what I set out to do. Here's a glimpse of what I've got in the works!

View attachment 17559View attachment 17560View attachment 17561View attachment 17562View attachment 17563

So I've got the design finalized, I sent it over to my buddy to cut out on his water jet. As soon as I have those pieces back we're going to test assemble it and document the install. If everything works well, I plan on offering these for purchase as a "U Weld It" Kit. At the end of the day I expect this to cost less than half of what the Ford Performance Winch kit costs when you're all in.

If you're interested, stay tuned!!!
So I posted this on Facebook and I received many comments to come here and post it as well.

I've been working on a winch kit to fit a 12k APEX Badland winch into my Tremor. The kit is near completion and I wanted to show you guys how it looks. If you're not familiar with the APEX Badland winch it's a Harbor Freight 12k winch that was designed to be heads up competiton for the Warn Zeon 12k but at a fraction of the cost. This guy sums it up below-

So I wanted to order the winch kit when I ordered my truck but the $3k price tag kind of turned me off of it. I figured I could do better so that's what I set out to do. Here's a glimpse of what I've got in the works!

View attachment 17559View attachment 17560View attachment 17561View attachment 17562View attachment 17563

So I've got the design finalized, I sent it over to my buddy to cut out on his water jet. As soon as I have those pieces back we're going to test assemble it and document the install. If everything works well, I plan on offering these for purchase as a "U Weld It" Kit. At the end of the day I expect this to cost less than half of what the Ford Performance Winch kit costs when you're all in.

If you're interested, stay tuned!!!
I like it!
 
Was a bracket ever fabricated? I would be interested in one...

I stay in Henderson nv...
It was!!!

Sorry for the delay everyone. I was hoping to have this ready to go before our expected twin girls arrived. We'll that didn't happen and I've been overwhelmed with daddy duty for our latest family additions!

DSC_6541a.webp

So now that it's been over a month, things are settling down and I'm able to focus on this project again.

I do have the laser cut kit here, ready for a test fit and assembly. As soon as I know our file is good and this first kit goes together as it should I will make these available for purchase!

81132.webp

Hopefully by next week I'll have this confirmed and ready to go!
 
It was!!!

Sorry for the delay everyone. I was hoping to have this ready to go before our expected twin girls arrived. We'll that didn't happen and I've been overwhelmed with daddy duty for our latest family additions!

View attachment 21103

So now that it's been over a month, things are settling down and I'm able to focus on this project again.

I do have the laser cut kit here, ready for a test fit and assembly. As soon as I know our file is good and this first kit goes together as it should I will make these available for purchase!

View attachment 21104

Hopefully by next week I'll have this confirmed and ready to go!
Congrats! Family first, you will see that they grow too quickly. My girls are 14 and 16 now, seems like just yesterday we were bringing them home from the hospital.
 
It was!!!

Sorry for the delay everyone. I was hoping to have this ready to go before our expected twin girls arrived. We'll that didn't happen and I've been overwhelmed with daddy duty for our latest family additions!

View attachment 21103

So now that it's been over a month, things are settling down and I'm able to focus on this project again.

I do have the laser cut kit here, ready for a test fit and assembly. As soon as I know our file is good and this first kit goes together as it should I will make these available for purchase!

View attachment 21104

Hopefully by next week I'll have this confirmed and ready to go!
Congrats on the addition to the family!
 
Back
Top Bottom