Added Upfitters and I Have A Problem

Avslash

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 KR Tremor
Bought my 2022 off the lot, and literally the only option left off was the factory upfitters. No problem, dealer agreed to order parts for me to install as part of the deal.

Got the parts. Replaced the overhead console for unit with the switches, ran the new wire over the headliner and plugged into the connector at the A-pillar, added the fuse block under the hood and connected to the prewire harness and the battery terminal block.

All seemed good. Switches light up when moved to on position.

However, no power coming from any of the pigtails under the hood when switches are on.

I have checked fuse 57 and fuse 22 under the hood and in cab respectively. I have pulled fuses from upfitter fuse block and verified there is power at each fuse. I have checked each fuse with ohm meter and all show zero ohms resistance. I have checked and there is power at the 20a+, and 20A+ STR wires that are part of the upfitter bundle so the upfitter fuse block is definitely getting power, but all 6 of the upfitter pigtails are dead.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to check next? I am fresh out of ideas now.

Thanks

Does something in the options in forscan need to be turned on? Or have the dealer turn it on?

The switches themselves activate relays right? Because there is no way 30 and 40 amps are running up to those switches then back down to the fuse block.

I have no real clue as it seems your trouble shooting is pretty good, just throwing shit against the wall.

Thanks.

Correct. Their is a relay in the fuse block for each upfitter switch. Think I will go give each relay a whack with a wrench and see if maybe they are sticky for some reason. Seems unlikely, but that is what I am down to.

I can't find any mention anywhere of needing to let the truck know the switches are installed via dealer software or Forscan.

Anybody else with any ideas, please sling'em up in here.

Finally broke down and took it to dealer. 99% sure parts department sent the wrong parts. Service tech said he had to repin the upfitter connector to make it work.

Thought all was good, and got home last night and now the night time illumination doesn't work.

Anyone know where I can get the pin-outs of the connector that plugs into the upfitter switch module, and then the other connector on the same harness that plugs into the main over the headliner harness? Or at least figure out which pin at the upfitter switches should be supplying +12V for the illumination and what circuit it should be pulling that from?

I'm really pulling my hair out now after paying for the tech and it still not working.

Are you sure you are/were testing the correct wires? Could you have been testing the pass through wires by mistake?
Thanks, but unfortunately I’m 1O0% sure. Switches are working normally now with the exception of the night time illumination in off position. Have my ARB compressor wired to switch 3 and works as expected.

I’m wondering if something different was done for the 2022. I will be wiring in SEIC so I went looking for the pass thru wires and they were nicely taped up high where they were easily accessible. I was expecting a nightmare on the engine compartment side based on what I have read here and on other forums about those things.

At this point I just need the nighttime illumination to work and I am golden.

Finally broke down and took it to dealer. 99% sure parts department sent the wrong parts. Service tech said he had to repin the upfitter connector to make it work.

Thought all was good, and got home last night and now the night time illumination doesn't work.

Anyone know where I can get the pin-outs of the connector that plugs into the upfitter switch module, and then the other connector on the same harness that plugs into the main over the headliner harness? Or at least figure out which pin at the upfitter switches should be supplying +12V for the illumination and what circuit it should be pulling that from?

I'm really pulling my hair out now after paying for the tech and it still not working.
You can purchase the wiring manual from helm but it will not be out for the 22s until early next year. That area of the vehicle for a 21 is probably the same but you would rolling the dice for $80 or whatever they're charging now.

Alldata has the 20MY online and you could pay the one month subscription ($20):

The other option is to sweet talk one of the Ford techs on here... They should have it in the workshop manual.

these are 2021 wiring diagrams hope they help

Attachments

• upfitterswitches.jpg
    upfitterswitches.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 149
  • upfitterrelay1_3.jpg
    upfitterrelay1_3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 147
  • upfitterrelay5_6_.jpg
    upfitterrelay5_6_.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 146
these are 2021 wiring diagrams hope they help

Thanks. I'm admittedly not the best at deciphering these diagrams, but don't think the info I'm looking for is on there.

The connector the tech re-pinned is the one inside the truck that plugs into the switch unit in the overhead console. Looks to be a 12 pin connector and there are currently 10 pins in use. I am 100% sure that connector supplies power for the night time illumination, as before the tech performed his work, I could sit there and plug/unplug the connector and watch the switches light up in the blue color in the off position. So, what I'm trying to decipher is what pin in the connector provides the +12v for the illumination, the color of the conductor, and where it goes from that connector. Alternatively, I guess I could run a jumper from another appropriate +12v source located somewhere in the overhead console to appropriate pin on the connector.

@fordguy74656 Happy to send a nice 12 pack of Saint Arnolds Christmas Ale your way...

Thanks. I'm admittedly not the best at deciphering these diagrams, but don't think the info I'm looking for is on there.

The connector the tech re-pinned is the one inside the truck that plugs into the switch unit in the overhead console. Looks to be a 12 pin connector and there are currently 10 pins in use. I am 100% sure that connector supplies power for the night time illumination, as before the tech performed his work, I could sit there and plug/unplug the connector and watch the switches light up in the blue color in the off position. So, what I'm trying to decipher is what pin in the connector provides the +12v for the illumination, the color of the conductor, and where it goes from that connector. Alternatively, I guess I could run a jumper from another appropriate +12v source located somewhere in the overhead console to appropriate pin on the connector.

@fordguy74656 Happy to send a nice 12 pack of Saint Arnolds Christmas Ale your way...
Just curious, did you get the uplifters working? And would you do it yourself again?

4FAA2DA5-47A5-43A2-8220-CEB4FB343913.jpeg
I did. Tech had put wire for illumination in wrong pin slot. All works as it should now. Proper wiring for that connector on 2022 is attached.

I would absolutely do it again. Should have been plug and play 30 minute job if dealer parts guys didn’t have their heads up their asses.

Back