9mm VS .45ACP VS 10mm

Explain...
Shoot any current 9mm defense round vs any other round into some ballistic gel and that will explain lol. It goes just as deep and the wound channel will be just as wide.it’s cheaper. More capacity.

there’s a reason why every police department has gone away from 40 cal. It’s a dead round.

Shoot any current 9mm defense round vs any other round into some ballistic gel and that will explain lol. It goes just as deep and the wound channel will be just as wide.it’s cheaper. More capacity.

there’s a reason why every police department has gone away from 40 cal. It’s a dead round.
It’s dead for now until someone makes a variant. Then something else will die. Just like the 9mm. It would still be dead if they didn’t improve it. Everything is cyclical

10463d1380978047-best-caliber-concealed-carry-calibercomparison.jpg

OK, jokes aside, I guess I prefer the 9mm overall for everything. My two main daily carry pistols are the Glock 43x and the Beretta M9A3. I do have a nice 1911 in .45 as a barbecue gun, but that doesn't get carried all that often. Bullet technology has come a long way for 9mm, and it is now just as affective as the other calibers. With lighter recoil, it means much faster follow-up shots as well. Do I need to mention higher capacity magazines in a smaller footprint?

For HD, though, things become more interesting. Depending on my mood, I may have either a PS90 or an MP5/10 clone as my bedside gun.

What I use:

9mm for concealed carry. S+W full size in the cool months, S+W Shield in the summer because it hides under a t-shirt without printing. There is a down side to only having 8 rounds, You will want to carry extra mags and practice timely reloads.

10mm in the woods with Buffalo Bore 200gr hard-cast. We only have Black Bears here and this round is loud out of the G20.

I think 40s are slowly on their way out. They will be around for a while in competition. If you really like the round, I wouldn't be afraid they are going away anytime soon.

I'm currently looking into the FN57 as a compliment to my FNX45.

People been calling the .40 dead on gun forums for the last 20 years and yet, here it is, supposedly still dying. Public safety is swayed by a lot of things when they buy equipment, budgets, trends, Union opinions, but to say they have all dropped the .40 in favor of 9mm is simply too broad of a statement. Dont get me wrong, 9mm has come a long way and frankly I love it in my P365, mostly cause I love how the P365 shoots and carrys, but I also love the price of 9mm compared to .40.

As far as ballistic gel, it just that, gel. Wrap some clothing around it and suddenly the 9mm is not as exciting as it once was. Bottom line, you need mass to penetrate clothing, especially for heavier clothing in cold climates and the .45, 10mm, and the .40 have that mass and energy. Dont forget ballistic wise the .40 excels way past 10-15 yards where the .45 drops off.

As others have already stated, you should carry what you have confidence in and are proficient with. Just my .02 cents

Last edited:
People been calling the .40 dead on gun forums for the last 20 years and yet, here it is, supposedly still dying. Public safety is swayed by a lot of things when they buy equipment, budgets, trends, Union opinions, but to say they have all dropped the .40 in favor of 9mm is simply too broad of a statement. Dont get me wrong, 9mm has come a long way and frankly I love it in my P365, mostly cause I love how the P365 shoots and carrys, but I also love the price of 9mm compared to .40.

As far as ballistic gel, it just that, gel. Wrap some clothing around it and suddenly the 9mm is not as exciting as it once was. Bottom line, you need mass to penetrate clothing, especially for heavier clothing in cold climates and the .45, 10mm, and the .40 have that mass and energy. Dont forget ballistic wise the .40 excels way past 10-15 yards where the .45 drops off.

As others have already stated, you should carry what you have confidence in and shoot well with. Just my .02 cents

so a puffy jacket is going to slow down a bullet lol

Well yes, anything that gets between the bullet and the target, windshield, car door, and even layers of clothing impacts ballistics.

windshield/car door yeah. But someone who gets shoot bundled up for winter vs someone not wearing clothing.....you really think is going to have a vast difference lol

windshield/car door yeah. But someone who gets shoot bundled up for winter vs someone not wearing clothing.....you really think is going to have a vast difference lol
Yes, Heavy clothing is one of the metrics used in testing JHP penetration to cause a fatal wound, the FBI uses it in their ammunition testing and so do many others. They also test, plain gelatin, light clothing, steel, glass, and wallboard. But in the case of heavy and layered clothing, it clogs a JHP and reduces its effectiveness in expanding in the wound cavity. This is in a testing environment and there is a lot of room for variables, but if you need to use a standard, this one is the most commonly used in evaluation of ammunition.

I still like my old and trusty Beretta 96 Brigadier INOX. It looks good, feels good, shoots good, and I have plenty of ammo. For a dead round, there sure are plenty around.

I have a .45 ACP Glock for home defense, and a whole boatload of ammo for it that I've slowly amassed for no apparent reason, so I guess I'll say .45 ACP. LOL!

Supposedly 10mm has the best chance of taking down big game, out of all the common-ish calibers that fit into semi-auto handguns that can easily be carried on the person (omitting the bonkers desert eagle type of stuff), so I've planned for a long time now to buy a 10mm Glock for camping use out in black and brown bear county. Probably not a great carry or home defense round due to the amount of energy it kicks back when fired.

9mm is typically my daily carry caliber, 147 gr HST is my flavor of choice. 5.56, .45 ACP, & 12 ga. are my home defense choices.
I carry a Sig P227 w/Romeo 1 Pro most often. With my x-large hands I use the "Gas Pedal" (take-down lever/thumb rest).
When 'minimalist' is a must, I do Sig P938.
I am also very fond of .45 ACP, in particular, 1911 by Colt & Kimber.

10mm because I don’t need the .40 Short and Weak.

But I have several 9mm pistols too. I just like velocity.

I currently carry a Kimber 45 1911 for archery season and those pesky mountain lions. Have been looking at going to a XD 10mm for a little extra bear protection while hiking without my 300wsm rifle.

45 ACP 1911 Colt
then
Sig 365 9MM or G19

Not a fan of 40

I will shoot what ever I have in stock.

What to have the debate on Carry?????
One in the pipe, hammer back and safety on vs empty chamber

or we can debate if you carry factory ammo or reloads.???????

lots to talk about.

Latest Discussions

Back