9mm VS .45ACP VS 10mm

Well, since it was me who started the thread. I really just have a range toy, since I don't carry, conceal or protect. Mine is a CZ Tactical Sports Orange in 9mm. I was recently debating though if I should get a simple, easy, do-it-all carry & protect handgun. My head was at 10mm, because, well, the stopping power is unbeatable. There are some 10mm's with pretty high capacity mags available as of today (i.e. Glock 20). I am just debating the conventional wisdom that in a situation of fear/panic/stress having the shorter barrel, lighter materials and faster velocity will really make that difference. 99.9% of people in this situation aim like crap, even when in the 100.000s of rounds before they were the best shooters. So if you get just a couple shots anyway, you already know your aim will be in the toilet, do you prefer the round that hits to be of low or high stopping power? That's why I thought 10mm is the deal. But I haven't pulled the trigger on a protect gun yet ... pun intended... ;)

Well, since it was me who started the thread. I really just have a range toy, since I don't carry, conceal or protect. Mine is a CZ Tactical Sports Orange in 9mm. I was recently debating though if I should get a simple, easy, do-it-all carry & protect handgun. My head was at 10mm, because, well, the stopping power is unbeatable. There are some 10mm's with pretty high capacity mags available as of today (i.e. Glock 20). I am just debating the conventional wisdom that in a situation of fear/panic/stress having the shorter barrel, lighter materials and faster velocity will really make that difference. 99.9% of people in this situation aim like crap, even when in the 100.000s of rounds before they were the best shooters. So if you get just a couple shots anyway, you already know your aim will be in the toilet, do you prefer the round that hits to be of low or high stopping power? That's why I thought 10mm is the deal. But I haven't pulled the trigger on a protect gun yet ... pun intended... ;)
Glock 20 is a beast for sure. I used to carry one in the late 90’s early 2000’s when I was a younger man. It was fun to watch all the people at the range stop & look over when I would dump a full 15 round mag of full power 10mm !! Some would come over & ask what the hell are you shooting?! But now all of my carry guns are in 9mm mostly because of price. I have accumulated so much over the years, and also because of modularity, i.e. Glock 26, using my Glock 19 mags, using my Glock 17 mags, and of course the spare 33 rnd. magazines gives a boost of confidence that one will always have “sufficient“ ammo. Just my MO.....

I did a ton of research when looking for a HD gun and ultimately went with a Mossberg 590A1 over any pistol or rifle choice.

Reason I bring this up is to maybe help those who decided on using a 12ga shotgun as I did as their HD gun to choose great ammo. The secret sauce is what rounds I keep loaded. Federal LE Flight Control #1 buck.

For those not familiar with this round, it is loaded with fifteen .30 caliber shot that makes a single half dollar size hole in paper at 10 yards. Basically a fragmenting slug.

I could make a pretty good argument that this round has a high likely-hood of being more lethal in a home defense situation than any rifle round or hand gun round you could wield to end a threat. It's a little hard to come by, and at one time was reserved for only law enforcement and military, but now is available to the general public.

I did a ton of research when looking for a HD gun and ultimately went with a Mossberg 590A1 over any pistol or rifle choice.

Reason I bring this up is to maybe help those who decided on using a 12ga shotgun as I did as their HD gun to choose great ammo. The secret sauce is what rounds I keep loaded. Federal LE Flight Control #1 buck.

For those not familiar with this round, it is loaded with fifteen .30 caliber shot that makes a half dollar size hole in paper at 10 yards. Basically a fragmenting slug.

I could make a pretty good argument that this round has a high likely-hood of being more lethal in a home defense situation than any rifle round or hand gun round you could wield to end a threat. It's a little hard to come by, and at one time was reserved for only law enforcement and military, but now is available to the general public.
Yup, I have a Remington Tac-14 at the house too ????

Here's some bathroom reading for you. Please don't buy it all. Save some for me!

Speaking of bathrooms. Ya never know when you might be on the crapper and need some security, so keep it close.

20200606_192255.jpg

Here's some bathroom reading for you. Please don't buy it all. Save some for me!

Speaking of bathrooms. Ya never know when you might be on the crapper and need some security, so keep it close.

View attachment 8929
I’ll add some bathroom reading for those who feel that the almighty .45 ACP only requires one shot to get the job done. Lol

Yup, I have a Remington Tac-14 at the house too ????
Makes me think of my Dads favorite saying of nothing with make a intruder mess their shorts quicker than hearing the distinctive clic click of racking a round in to Mr Remington. He was referring to his 870 12AWG.

My new favorite weapon is this one, its a 9MM AR Pistol with a 7 inch barrel and it is pictured with a 33 round Glock Mag. I used to be a 44 mag or 45 ACP guy......but not any more!
FMP-9.jpg

+P+ hot 9MM OR .45

.380 for those ultra conceal situations where I can't carry one of the above

After 8.5 years in maximum security prison, I can no longer own guns... But, when I did, my Glock 17 was my go-to, and then my S&W XD 45 subcompact.

At the end of the day, I knew the .45 had better stopping power, but I could put three 9mm hollow-points center mass in the time I could put one of the .45--so I carried my glock.

Whatever you're most confident/capable with is the best option IMO as long as it's reliable.

Last edited:
After 8.5 years in maximum security prison, I can no longer own guns... But, when I did, my Glock 17 was my go-to, and then my S&W XD 45 subcompact.

At the end of the day, I knew the .45 had better stopping power, but I could put three 9mm hollow-points center mass in the time I could put one of the .45--so I carried my glock.

Whatever you're most confident/capable with is the best option IMO as long as it's reliable.
I’m curious now. And bold enough to ask. Is this some kind of Oceans 11 type story?

I’m curious now. And bold enough to ask. Is this some kind of Oceans 11 type story?
Eh, long story--for another time perhaps. I turned down a 6-month plea deal, and chose to go to trial (what I thought was the right thing to do), not knowing how the system worked. I was 21. Got out seven days before my 30th. Overall it was an interesting experience. I taught myself how to code inside, got pretty good, and landed a six-figure software engineer role six weeks after I was out. Bought a house, settled down. Trying to enjoy my 30's now ?

Eh, long story--for another time perhaps. I turned down a 6-month plea deal, and chose to go to trial (what I thought was the right thing to do), not knowing how the system worked. I was 21. Got out seven days before my 30th. Overall it was an interesting experience. I taught myself how to code inside, got pretty good, and landed a six-figure software engineer role six weeks after I was out. Bought a house, settled down. Trying to enjoy my 30's now ?
And based on your location I’m guessing you are putting your software skills to use at Microsoft, Amazon or Facebook?
Either way, very inspiring what you did with your time!

10mm Glock 20 is my hunting sidearm. And camping sidearm. And my home defense weapon. It just works, and I shoot it well.

Glock 43 for CC.
Thought I was the only one with a hunting side arm :cool: :cool: ??

500 S&W for me

Ahhh........That's easy!!! At least one of each!!

You can never have too many!! Also never tell the wife or anyone for that matter how many you actually own !! In my case......I don't own any. ;)

Thought I was the only one with a hunting side arm :cool: :cool: ??

500 S&W for me

We have lots of mtn lions and bears around western Washington. I've been stalked several times. I used to work as a wildlife biologist and have a healthy respect for big cats. Not really worried about bears, but you never know.

We have lots of mtn lions and bears around western Washington. I've been stalked several times. I used to work as a wildlife biologist and have a healthy respect for big cats. Not really worried about bears, but you never know.
dang big cats Any Cougars chase you???? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

we don't have those, some coyotes and the big bad wolf

Lots of bear but they don't bother you at all.

Photo of my everyday carry rig. Seriously, have hunted with 7.5 Ruger Super Blackhawk .44M, shoot my 1911 best, carry depends on day but mostly 9mm Shield with tritium and green CT laser. Home defense - usually spill red paint by front door, clean most of it off, and leave chalk outline on walkway.

Attachments

• 60BEA080-9C78-4340-B20D-47B3F2DEF2F5.jpeg
    60BEA080-9C78-4340-B20D-47B3F2DEF2F5.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 16
This is going to be a expensive thread for me. Has me looking to get a Glock model 40 in 10mm to carry as large predator protection while hiking.

Back