22mpg on 650 mile road trip

Jman1469

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 F250
Just got back from my first road trip with my ‘23 6.7HO.

Drove from my home town in Lynden Wa to Kalispell Montana.

On the way home I made it the whole way on one tank! Short bed, the small tank.

fueled up in Hungry Horse Montana and drove straight home with two pee breaks.

22 MPG driving 100% highway, mostly 70-80 mph with a little traffic in Everett. And three mountain passes on I90

IMG_3257.png
IMG_3255.png

That is pretty impressive especially for those speeds.

I love Kalispell and Whitefish Montana. I have skied and golfed there for years.

Does anyone have any sense of how highway gas mileage is affected with the Tremor package? The lift and shorty air dam probably make a bit of a difference. 22 MPG is fantastic though.

This is coming from a non mountain person, but I always love how driving in the mountains helped my mileage. Half the trip getting 8mpg uphill, and the other half doing 40+mpg going downhill.

Just got back from my first road trip with my ‘23 6.7HO.

Drove from my home town in Lynden Wa to Kalispell Montana.

On the way home I made it the whole way on one tank! Short bed, the small tank.

fueled up in Hungry Horse Montana and drove straight home with two pee breaks.

22 MPG driving 100% highway, mostly 70-80 mph with a little traffic in Everett. And three mountain passes on I90

View attachment 153937View attachment 153938
What app are you using that shows your MPH? Assume you are on stock tires. I drive that similar route to Bozeman from Leavenworth and get 21mph. I just bought new Yokohama XD’s and wish I had bought more of a all season tread design. I think I’d pick up a couple more mph.

Think it MPG not MPH I have the app it’s called Fuelly I use a free version.

What app are you using that shows your MPH? Assume you are on stock tires. I drive that similar route to Bozeman from Leavenworth and get 21mph. I just bought new Yokohama XD’s and wish I had bought more of an all season tread design. I think I’d pick up a couple more mph.
I’m using the free version of Fuelly to track MPG. Yes it’s the factory tires, I’m doing like 1700 rpm at 77 mph.

That is encouraging. I travel between Portland and Eureka, MT regularly. Mt current Raptor gets 17-18 mpg if I keep it below 73mph. Above 73mph and it starts to drop quickly. I will be very happy if I can get 20mpg when the Tremor comes in. Not counting on it, but it would be nice.

That is encouraging. I travel between Portland and Eureka, MT regularly. Mt current Raptor gets 17-18 mpg if I keep it below 73mph. Above 73mph and it starts to drop quickly. I will be very happy if I can get 20mpg when the Tremor comes in. Not counting on it, but it would be nice.
I see the best MPG @ 65-68 MPH after 68 I see it go down. I only have 2k on the truck so after break in it may go up some, I hope. 2024 3.31, 6.7

Has anyone found,

Side Window Deflectors that area light smoke tint. I don't want the dark tinted deflectors, as the tint on the windows and with and tint on the deflectors make it hard to see out adding to the blind spot post area.​

Seeing this and then diesel prices flipping and being cheaper than gas now is really making me question my decision to get my 7.3 tremor in March. Without tunes it’s also go zero balls compared to my old Cummins

Unladen I see 20-23 mpg on 37's with the 6.7HO on the highway. Towing loads under 5,000lbs I'll see 17-18mpg and with a 10,000-15,000lb payload I was averaging 13.5-14.5 mpg. I can live with those numbers, best of any HD truck I've ever owned.

Seeing this and then diesel prices flipping and being cheaper than gas now is really making me question my decision to get my 7.3 tremor in March. Without tunes it’s also go zero balls compared to my old Cummins
On the plus sidee, the 7.3 is what, about $10k cheaper than the diesel? Obviously less torque, but if you're just questioning the decision based on the cost difference, the 7.3 is still going to be cheaper.

Ran the numbers with the following numbers (can run them with your numbers if you're interested)
Current cheapest gas in a 5 mile radius from me = $3.85
Current cheapest diesel in a 5 mile radius from me = $3.99
DEF fluid = $6/gal

Diesel MPG = 20mpg
Gas MPG = 14mpg
DEF fluid mpg = 400

Miles of driving per year = 15,000

At this rate, it will take 11 years before the diesel breaks even with the gas (and that's assuming maintenance costs are the same on the gas/diesel...which is not the case at all, so it will really be significantly longer before you break even.

In my case, I'm driving half that mileage, with a camper on it 100% of the time, so near max payload. So figure 7,500 miles, at 12mpg gas, vs 17mpg diesel (that's what it seems like people average on Fuelly.com). At that rate, it would be 19yrs before I'd break even on financially.

In short, I don't think there's a financial argument to go diesel - but if you need the power, then of course that justifies it. For me (rarely towing, just needed the payload for my camper), the 7.3 is great.

My use case does support the gasser like you mentioned. On average I don't need the towing power and the specter of a ton of downtime with my truck at our crappy stealership waiting on emissions parts was enough to scare me away. Price wise I could have downgraded from the Platinum tremor and just got a more average optioned diesel and the price would have been apples to apples for me. I'm not the type that ever buys new. I got my Tremor with 38K, bought a Ford ESP and will keep it for at least 3 years if not more.

Figured I have 3.55 in my 22 and can get 18-19mpg on trips using eco mode. I use the Fuelly app as well free version
Have you tested the eco mode to normal mode? If so, what is the change in MPG. Do you use eco mode in city driving or just highway driving?

Back