2020 6.7 Fuel Pump

This is scary. I know there are a bunch of them out there and a few are bound to fail now and then but SHEESH... Come on FORD!

To allow Bosch to continue supplying the same pumps without a design change or that FORD is NOT willing to correct after the fact is crazy! A fuel pump failing in your 6.7 shouldn't require 10-12k of repairs. Hell, it should be as simple as buying and swapping a new pump. Complete lunacy

Yet it's not the CP4 of concern from days of old.

Yet it's not the CP4 of concern from days of old.
I have no idea what that means. A new CP4 installed in still a CP4 with the same design flaws (when used in conjunction with ultra-low sulfer diesel fuel madated in the US) that have existed since CP4s arrived in the Super Duty trucks in 2010. It's not been fixed. It's still the Bosch CP4 high pressure fuel pump. So it is in fact precisely the CP4 of concern from days old.

No...that's not correct. CP4 has been changed at least once since 2010.
AND with the 2020 Super Duty engineering has been changed again.

As found around the web:
Although you could never tell by looking at them, the ’15-newer Bosch CP4.2 pump on the right outflows the stock one on the left by nine percent. A longer stroke on the ’15-newer pump’s camshaft provides the increase in displacement and flow, which was the main ingredient in Ford’s higher, 440hp rating that became available on ’15 Super Dutys.

Do you want to rethink your statements?????

Not to mention what the 2020 fuel pump is designed to provide:

The third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke features a new 36,000-psi fuel injection system. According to Ford, the injectors spray up to eight times per stroke to control noise levels and optimize combustion.

So you're telling me that 2020 CP4 is better than prior CP4s? You're telling me the CP4 in my 2020 Lariat - the one that failed at 7,500 miles - is better than prior CP4s? Respectfully, that's not very reassuring. If you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

So you bought a pig, a known pig with lipstick, and NOW you are complaining??? Sounds like you got what you paid for.

I'm not saying it's better but it's not the same as in the 2011-2014 trucks, or 2015-2019 trucks.

So you bought a pig, a known pig with lipstick, and NOW you are complaining??? Sounds like you got what you paid for.

I'm not saying it's better but it's not the same as in the 2011-2014 trucks, or 2015-2019 trucks.
H, you're missing the point. I did not knowingly buy a pig. Perhaps the CP4 issue was discoverable with research but is it reasonable to expect a consumer looking to buy new technology to Google every component of a very complex machine to see if there is some design issue that could cause catastrophic breakdowns within 6 months of purchase?? Prior to purchase, did you Google your Ford F350's timing belt drive pulley? Water pump? Intake manifold? distributor? turbo? alternator? starter? Etc? Of course not. You assumed that the vehicle that you were paying tens of thousands of dollars for would function properly for more than a nominal period of time. Granted, there's a reason vehicles come with a warranty but that warranty shouldn't involve catastrophic breakdowns of the vehicle engine itself. And even if it does occur, it shouldn't occur with more than a nominal amount of frequency, which it apparently does based on the number of YouTube videos and blogs on the subject (such as this one).

I honestly can't tell if you're suggesting that the older CP4s were better or worse. I assumed better but my experience doesn't seem to suggest that much improvement has been made. Perhaps I got a lemon but the more research I do, the more cynic in me believes that the US auto manufacturers are knowingly using a defective part in a bid to save money. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that happened. (Can you say, "Pinto"?) I Googled "CP4 fuel pump redesign" and got absolutely nothing about improvements in design intended to avoid historical breakdowns. I can tell you that of the named plaintiffs in the class action suit pending against Ford in Michigan, there's a 2012 F250 that suffered CP4 failure at 65,000 miles, a 2012 F250 that suffered CP4 failure at 25,000 miles, a 2014 F350 at 34,912 miles, a 2015 F350 at 50,000 miles and again at 142,000 miles, and a 2019 F350 at 4,000 miles. Oh, and a 2011 F550 that suffered CP4 failure three times - #2 in December 2019 and #3 in Spring 2020. You can tell me all you want about innovation and improvement in the CP4 fuel pump over time but I'm not seeing it in the results.

If you can point me to a website that discusses the alleged improvements made to the CP4 in 2015, I'd love to read about what they did. I can't find anything on the subject other than comments on bulletin boards like this.

Google has all the info you want to read about so it's there.

BTW....did you think all the pumps have one thing in common???? Diesel fuel.......think about it. What's used as the lubrication for the internals......Oh....we covered it.....diesel fuel. Just in case you missed it.

Not to mention did you research the other brands (Dodge/Chevy/GMC) for pump failures?? (See below)

Stop being in a stove pipe...

Richoy

Bought my First New ram 3500 in August 2019 Here it is June 2020 , 7310 miles later and the cp4 pump went out

DMAX LML LGH CP4 Failures.......

Google has all the info you want to read about so it's there.

BTW....did you think all the pumps have one thing in common???? Diesel fuel.......think about it. What's used as the lubrication for the internals......Oh....we covered it.....diesel fuel. Just in case you missed it.

Not to mention did you research the other brands (Dodge/Chevy/GMC) for pump failures?? (See below)

Stop being in a stove pipe...

Richoy

Bought my First New ram 3500 in August 2019 Here it is June 2020 , 7310 miles later and the cp4 pump went out

DMAX LML LGH CP4 Failures.......
Google does have a lot of info. As I initially stated, that information was not known to me at the time that I purchased my F250 diesel, nor was there any discussion with my salesman about the need to use fuel additives or take any other measures to avoid fuel pump failure. I obviously know a lot more now, including the class action suits against other US manufacturers. Are you aware that GM went away from the Bosch CP4 fuel pump to a Denso fuel pump in 2017? Google "Denso diesel fuel pump failures" and see how many returns you get? I'll wait. There's one YouTube video from 2018 about a Denso fuel pump whining. Interestingly, there are also returns about CP4 failures from that search. So four year models of vehicles from GM across two brands and no meaningful complaints about fuel pump failure. Okay, so now Google "CP3 diesel fuel pump failure". Admittedly, there are a few returns on the subject, but what else do you see? Yep, CP4 failures.

Will we agree that the problem is the lack of lubricity in the low sulfur diesel fuel in the US? Yes. I think we'll agree on that. You're simply of the opinion that the CP4 design is fine because you haven't experienced a failure and you know people who haven't either. But keep asking around. You'll find some. And as was previously pointed out, this isn't like your AC going out, where you can continue to drive the vehicle until you get around to getting the truck fixed. Your dead in the water without any real advance warning, and heaven help you if you're towing a 20,000 lb fifth wheel toy hauler over a mountain pass with your wife and kids in the truck when the CP4 decides to give up the ghost. Power brakes aren't going to work. No power steering either.

Respectfully, I don't think I'm the one "in the stove pipe". I'm not the one ignoring the absence of any significant number of CP3 failures, the absence of any meaningful number of Denso failures, and the plethora of CP4 failures across every major brand that uses the CP4. You reach whatever conclusions you want. Just don't look down your nose at me for coming to a different conclusion.

Is this your first ever diesel truck???

The Bosch CP4.2 pump has been used in the 6.7 power stroke since 2011. While lack of lubricity and maintenance have been blamed, they have not been verified. The roller on the bucket can turn, which is what actually causes the pump to fail, so that it it isn’t aligned with the lobe of the cam and shaves the metal from both the cam lobe and roller.

One thing I am curious about is the bypass kits, at least from S&S, is not compatible with the 2020. Again not sure why but I think it has more to do with how everything goes together than any changes to the pump because the company is working on a bypass kit for the 2020.

While changes to fuel management were made for 2020 like increasing the travel of the stroke in the pump, it does not seem that anything has changed with respect to the potential to prevent the orientation of the roller from changing.

www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/what-is-cp4-failure/

Last edited:
My buddy had to have his fuel pump replaced in his 15 F250 Diesel. They had to take the entire chassis off the frame to do the work. What an awful design
If they removed body on a 6.7 that was there choice, the 6.7 is designed to be worked on with cab on, there is absolutely no reason to remove body to work on a fuel system on a 6.7

If they removed body on a 6.7 that was there choice, the 6.7 is designed to be worked on with cab on, there is absolutely no reason to remove body to work on a fuel system on a 6.7

Maybe so. I saw the pictures and it looked miserable.

I watched a YouTube video about fuel pumps and Warren Diesel has a fix with 55% over stock flow. I just do not know yet if this will work with our pumps or if they have one for our 2020. Keep you posted.

I am considering buying a '21 Tremor that just hit my dealers lot. This would be my first diesel purchase. However, after reading through this thread, I am hesitant and need to do more research. It appears this is not an isolated issue and something that could be dangerous as the OP described.

Back