2020 6.7 Fuel Pump

abill

Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor
There is a bunch of info that could be discussed on this but I am gonna try and keep it simple... Does anyone know if Ford is using the same fuel pump that has caused problems in the past?

If so, has anyone thought about using or used the fuel re-routing kits that are sold? Supposedly they don't eliminate a pump failure but they do keep the metal filings/shavings from entering your fuel system. They
seem pricey for what they are but in the scheme of things would be cheap if they save your engine.

Examples of the kits:

https://ssdiesel.com/6-7l-ford-power-stroke-cp4-fail-safe-kit/

https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-7l-powerstroke-disaster-prevention-kit.html

Rock Taxi

Founding Member
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Watching this one....

HeavyAssault

Miltary
US Army
Current Ride
2015 F350
A widely debated and argued topic for sure. All the big three have been using the same "problematic" pump over the last few years. I want to say an engineer from Ford indicated the pump has been modified to help with the increased PSI demands.

With that....until there's substantial info collect I'd suggest running a quality fuel additive. That will be the short run answer. If you want to add the by-pass you still have a potential of pump failure.

PapaRaptor

Founding Member
Current Ride
F350 Tremor 6.7 Lariat sport
Purchase fuel from a reliable source, be consistence where you get it from and know the symptoms of a pump failure.

Seems like they have been quiet on this issue.

OP
abill

abill

Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor
A widely debated and argued topic for sure. All the big three have been using the same "problematic" pump over the last few years. I want to say an engineer from Ford indicated the pump has been modified to help with the increased PSI demands.

With that....until there's substantial info collect I'd suggest running a quality fuel additive. That will be the short run answer. If you want to add the by-pass you still have a potential of pump failure.
Yes, but the pump failure is not a big issue... the issue is that the current design is such that when a pump failure
happens it takes your motor out with it? :unsure: Such a stupid design, with a "supposed" easy fix that the manufactures
don't seem to care to include to help us out nor themselves.

driftwoodsvt

First Tremor on Methods!
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L Lariat w/ Ultimate & Sport
My buddy had to have his fuel pump replaced in his 15 F250 Diesel. They had to take the entire chassis off the frame to do the work. What an awful design

HeavyAssault

Miltary
US Army
Current Ride
2015 F350
My buddy had to have his fuel pump replaced in his 15 F250 Diesel. They had to take the entire chassis off the frame to do the work. What an awful design
That's called padding the invoice....guess the techs needed to make a boat payment.

HeavyAssault

Miltary
US Army
Current Ride
2015 F350
Yes, but the pump failure is not a big issue... the issue is that the current design is such that when a pump failure
happens it takes your motor out with it? :unsure: Such a stupid design, with a "supposed" easy fix that the manufactures
don't seem to care to include to help us out nor themselves.
2020 Fuel pumps are different......apples and oranges.....until we know more of course.

Run a fuel additive....it's easier till we have the correct information about the 2020 HPFP which is a different design.

HeavyAssault

Miltary
US Army
Current Ride
2015 F350
Got ya. That's the low pressure lift pump. Yes, in the tank. Not sure why they can't drop the tank other than it's heavy and didn't want to drain the tank.

I was thinking the High Pressure Fuel Pump under the hood.

ddowney

Miltary
US Navy
Current Ride
Ordered '20 F350 Lariat Tremor
Can't you just replace the FP that are causing the problems? I had a '15 for a couple years and never had a problem with it, not sure if it's something new or something I just got lucky not to experience.

HeavyAssault

Miltary
US Army
Current Ride
2015 F350
For under the hood HPFP it's not a "new" issue, but one related to people not using quality fuel and an fuel additive.

For the LP fuel pump newer in-tank fuel pumps haven't really been modded by the aftermarket just yet.

ddowney

Miltary
US Navy
Current Ride
For under the hood HPFP it's not a "new" issue, but one related to people not using quality fuel and an fuel additive.

For the LP fuel pump newer in-tank fuel pumps haven't really been modded by the aftermarket just yet.

I never used a fuel additive in my '15. Is that something new and what do you recommend? I didn't realize there was a bad place to buy diesel?

HeavyAssault

Miltary
US Army
Current Ride
2015 F350
Bad places for fuel can be quite a discussion. Some people will only use high traffic pump locations due to the turn over in fuel thru the tanks. Other people will only use reputable stations.

Bad place can also be your best friend's brother's uncle who has a 1,000 gallon transfer tank beside the barn....Help yourself....UMmmmmm.....no I'll pass thank you very much.

Fuel additive discussions are fixed to the ULSD not having the lubricity properties that people claim to be part of the older style HPFP issues. I haven't learned of the specifics of the newer 2020 HPFP so I'd have to stick to using a fuel additive till more info comes out to digest.

I can only share what I have been running with good results. Howe's Diesel Treat that I can find at WalMart pretty cheap. For an extra boost they have an injector variant as well. I splash the Diesel Treat at every fill up, while I use the injector variant once/twice a month.

ddowney

Miltary
US Navy
Current Ride
Bad places for fuel can be quite a discussion. Some people will only use high traffic pump locations due to the turn over in fuel thru the tanks. Other people will only use reputable stations.

Bad place can also be your best friend's brother's uncle who has a 1,000 gallon transfer tank beside the barn....Help yourself....UMmmmmm.....no I'll pass thank you very much.

Fuel additive discussions are fixed to the ULSD not having the lubricity properties that people claim to be part of the older style HPFP issues. I haven't learned of the specifics of the newer 2020 HPFP so I'd have to stick to using a fuel additive till more info comes out to digest.

I can only share what I have been running with good results. Howe's Diesel Treat that I can find at WalMart pretty cheap. For an extra boost they have an injector variant as well. I splash the Diesel Treat at every fill up, while I use the injector variant once/twice a month.
Thanks, my next question was going to be about what additives people are using. I'll check around for it when I'm home. Hopefully there's more information about the pumps in the coming months then.

Latest Discussions

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge