Windshield wiper arm stripped

JimmyG79

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
The truck saw it’s first snow which was pretty wet and heavy. Started the truck and the automatic wipers tried to push the snow off. In doing so the drivers side wiper arm stripped out and is toast. Never seen that before. Definitely the opposite of “Ford Tough” Lol!

Anyway can’t find a replacement on line for a 21. I would imagine it’s the same part found on a 20.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 1,052
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 425
Well, that’s discouraging.

Ouch. A lot of guys around here lift wiper arms up when weather gets cold for that very reason.
Another solution is to make sure your wipers are turned off when you exit the truck so they don't automatically run when the truck fires up.

Though the true solution is Ford should have designed a motor cut-off or clutch-like system that would bail out/slip if the wipers encounter a significant obstruction before doing damage. :mad:

Another solution is to make sure your wipers are turned off when you exit the truck so they don't automatically run when the truck fires up.

Though the true solution is Ford should have designed a motor cut-off or clutch-like system that would bail out/slip if the wipers encounter a significant obstruction before doing damage. :mad:
Thinking more on this, if someone was concerned/obsessed/crazy enough, it shouldn't be too hard to put an inline high current cut-off on the wiper circuit. Measure what the usual current draw is when the wipers aren't obstructed, add a cut-off inline that cuts out with a bit more current draw than normal, and have it automatically restore power after a second or two.

Note: it will not be me who tries this, but it's fun to think through. :p

It is like the fusible link, that is the easiest piece to replace rather than the motor, etc. But it should not have done it unless frozen to windshield or large amount of wet heavy snow was on the window.

When I owned a Range Rover one of the things the salesman explicitly told me was to never leave the wipers in automatic mode - especially in winter as this exact scenario can play out. Wipers can be completely frozen to the windshield but since the window is covered in snow they try to wipe it clean. Apparently there isn't much overload protection but I believe that's typical.

When I owned a Range Rover one of the things the salesman explicitly told me was to never leave the wipers in automatic mode - especially in winter as this exact scenario can play out. Wipers can be completely frozen to the windshield but since the window is covered in snow they try to wipe it clean. Apparently there isn't much overload protection but I believe that's typical.
This isn't just about automatic mode, though. Even without automatic mode, if you turn the truck on with the wipers on, the wipers immediately try to wipe. This means if your wipers were in use when you arrived and shut off the truck, this same issue will happen unless you explicitly shut them off.

At least that's how it is on both my 22 Tremor and '09 F-150. I assume there's similar behavior with other manufacturers?

This isn't just about automatic mode, though. Even without automatic mode, if you turn the truck on with the wipers on, the wipers immediately try to wipe. This means if your wipers were in use when you arrived and shut off the truck, this same issue will happen unless you explicitly shut them off.

At least that's how it is on both my 22 Tremor and '09 F-150. I assume there's similar behavior with other manufacturers?
Yes you're right of course. I always explicitly turn my wipers off (it's a best-practice). The danger with automatic/rain sensing wipers is that if it's a nice day, it's easy to mistake them as actually being off - that is until you start it up with a windshield covered in snow and damage them....

I've lived in areas that get a lot of snow my entire life - 42 years. I've never even heard of a wiper getting stripped out. That's embarrassing, Ford.

Yet another reason I don't like rain-sensing wipers and would have that function disabled anyway. I also disable the courtesy wipe feature too... I try to turn off the wipers before exiting the vehicle and most times I am successful!

Back on topic - this does look like an incorrect install to me as well. I have failed at my own best practices several times over the past decade in previous F150s and never experienced this. Damaged wiper blades - yes.

The truck saw it’s first snow which was pretty wet and heavy. Started the truck and the automatic wipers tried to push the snow off. In doing so the drivers side wiper arm stripped out and is toast. Never seen that before. Definitely the opposite of “Ford Tough” Lol!

Anyway can’t find a replacement on line for a 21. I would imagine it’s the same part found on a 20.
I just had this happen. No snow, no nothing. Wipers were off when I shut the truck off. At least it's warranty.

• Wow
Reactions: ccw
I've disabled the rain sensing wipers for winter. Also trying to remember to never leave them on when I park the truck.

I've had both of the wiper arms off the wiper shafts and noticed when putting them back on they seem very loose and wiggly. Not very impressed to say the least.

• Wow
Reactions: ccw

@JimmyG79 I found this searching on line:
Left - FL3Z-17527-A

Right - FL3Z-17527-B

This just happened to mine yesterday. Drivers side. Had snow on the windshield, left the wipers on from last drive and the drivers side stripped before I had the chance to turn them off.

They are keyed. However, the key no longer stays in place. I used superglue to hold the key in until I get another arm.

First, I have disabled my rain sensing wipers and I always try to shut my wipers off when I park. I raise my wipers when it is going to be icy.
I have driven Fords for almost 40 years. I live in a state that regularly gets ice, freezing rain, and occasionally large amounts of snow. I’ve never had issues with wiper arms breaking (I've had rubber blade issues for sure). Why is this now a problem. Apparently “quality is not job 1” any longer.

Mine just had this happen as well. Originally had the wiper pop last weekend with a light freeze and told my wife that I think I broke it then. Well today on the way into work it definitely broke. Did anyone determine if the correct part number for 21-22 MY was FL3Z-17526-A?

It seems there should be a TSB on this soon. This is a safety issue, and likely should be addressed with some sort of revision of the part. I understand you want the arm to strip before the motor, but these seem to be made of peanut butter.

I never seem to leave the wipers on when I park the beast for this very reason. I once had an old BMW ('87 E30) that started smoking out the heater vents before I realized the wipers were frozen to the windshield and the motor smelled like s'mores. I stopped and broke them loose from the window - good to go. lol

Back