Will it start?

surfscottydog

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Handsome Jack. 2022, F250 Tremor with four wheel camper, Fleet. All the bells and whistle‘s that I might need
Current Ride #2
Subaru Outback
Hi all,
I am still waiting for my truck but have a question. I’m a surfer and usually hide my keys when I go out. But with the new truck, it has the combination pad on the door so I can open it without my keys. I bought the console safe for my personal items to be stored in the safe while I surf. If I put my truck keys in the safe as well, can someone break into my truck and start it since the key fob is in the proximity, or is the truck safe from that? I’m talking about a quick smash and grab, I know given a bit of time anyone can get into the safe. Thanks

Line it with some copper mesh and it will essentially make a faraday cage. Also handy to put your phone in when you don't feel like Google/Apple tracking your every movement.

I don't think they can. You locked the keys in the console safe but locked the truck with the keypad. If they smash a window the alarm should go off preventing it from starting. Also, if they smash a window and unlock it from the inside the alarm should go off preventing it from starting. If they jimmy the lock the alarm should go off. I know that the security features can be defeated etc. but I think your risk is low. Myself, and I'm sure a lot of others leave our trucks running and lock the truck with the keypad.

I guess I’ll experiment with different types of boxes to put the key fob in. I’ll keep everyone informed

I guess I’ll experiment with different types of boxes to put the key fob in. I’ll keep everyone informed
Could also try a faraday pouch like this:

Could be easier than lining the whole center console. Can't speak to that specific one, though, and how well it works.

Plus it's bulky and they haven't made any efforts to modernize the plug to be smaller.
The "plug/key is smaller in diameter than a quarter. It has 16 pins, would be difficult to downsize and be durable.

Could also try a faraday pouch like this:

Could be easier than lining the whole center console. Can't speak to that specific one, though, and how well it works.
You’re awesome, excellent suggestion. I’ll go for that

Back