Where do we live and why?

Part of the brand is a premium price. So is environmental regulation, and somewhat progressive social policy. They’re features of the product meant to appeal to a target consumer.

I’m just playing devils advocate

Part of the brand is a premium price. So is environmental regulation, and somewhat progressive social policy. They’re features of the product meant to appeal to a target consumer.

I’m just playing devils advocate here.
From a pure branding perspective, complete agreement. It would seem the advocacy here is that California is THE premium brand. Or are you advocating that California is A premium brand?

From a pure branding perspective, complete agreement. It would seem the advocacy here is that California is THE premium brand. Or are you advocating that California is A premium brand?
A premium brand. There’s plenty of other states to choose from that are at a similarly premium price point. Whether at base price or after options. ?

Prop 65 is a law with great intentions but very poor execution. I've met many business owners who just stick the warning on their products even though they may not contain any of the chemicals listed by CA. To them, it's easier to add the square inch warning than to prove to CA that there are no carcinogens in the products. The warning is not going to make a difference to revenue anyway, since 99% of customers gloss over the warnings.
It’s kind of like the Tremor’s double honk when you get out while it’s running. ?

I’d imagine California is a lot like NY. Us upstate people deal with the NYC people fleeing the NYC people and those NYC people bring their NYC crap with them.
they move from the city and then want the country and mountains to become The city
Oh Shit, you are verbalizing your inner monologue again!

I posted this on another thread a couple months ago, seems more appropriate here...

"49 degrees here right now. Just had a good dinner of wild pork I harvested with the lever gun, and fresh greens from the garden. The air is fresh and clean with a nice storm having just passed through. Daffodils have been popping up all over the foothills this week. Gonna be a great 3 day weekend. I think I'll take a short drive to the high mountains for a little skiing in fresh powder tomorrow. Or maybe I'll pop down to the Delta with the boat and see if the stripers are coming in yet. I could always take a nice ride on the Harley down hwy 49. Or jump on the XL and head out the back gate for a day of forest trail riding. Haven't been whitewater rafting in a while... the put in is just 4 miles down the road. I tied some flies the other night, maybe I'll wet a line on one of the dozens of local waters. Or should I go 4 wheeling? I think the wife was planning on going for a horseback ride anyway. Oh, and I don't want to forget to pattern the new shotgun, turkey season opens in a few weeks. Maybe I should just stay home and pan some gold... I've almost got enough to smelt another button. There's always tractor time available too, it'd be fun to cut some more trails on the property. Anyways, I won't have time to sit around and listen to you guys bash the golden state, I've got shit to do."

I'm not saying some things haven't gotten bad around here, but I've been around, things are getting bad all over. Talkin' shit is easy. Making a difference takes depth of character and action.

Buffalo NY.

Born here

The good:

Hmm....

The Bad:

Taxes
politics
taxes
weather
lack of freedom
roads
gun laws
drugs
liberals
state is run by the "City"

Buffalo NY.

Born here

The good:

Hmm....

The Bad:

Taxes
politics
taxes
weather
lack of freedom
roads
gun laws
drugs
liberals
state is run by the "City"
You forgot the Chicken Wings....Boce club pizza...and Ted's hotdogs

We are in the 603. Best damn state in the union!!! 20 minutes to the ocean, and 40 min to the mountains. The bad.....5 minutes from Massachusetts. LOL
When I move back to the Northeast, the 603 is my target. Probably need to commute to Boston though, so would look at Hampton Falls, Seabrook (blech), Kingston, Pelham etc. NH is great but the Masshole migration up there is very quickly ruining it.

Felton, Delaware (Dover area)
Retired from the Air Force and just stayed here. Originally from Massachusetts

The good:

No sales tax
Short ride to some nice beaches
Country atmosphere
Reasonable cost of living
Moderate climate with 4 seasons
Dover AFB

The bad:
Typical east coast humidity
Fucknuts from Jersey and NY are migrating down here and dicking up the charm
Too close to Philly
Beach traffic
Job salaries are lower than they should be
Geography flat as a pancake

When I move back to the Northeast, the 603 is my target. Probably need to commute to Boston though, so would look at Hampton Falls, Seabrook (blech), Kingston, Pelham etc. NH is great but the Masshole migration up there is very quickly ruining it

When I move back to the Northeast, the 603 is my target. Probably need to commute to Boston though, so would look at Hampton Falls, Seabrook (blech), Kingston, Pelham etc. NH is great but the Masshole migration up there is very quickly ruining it.
Where are you originally from in NH?

Driftwood, TX (about 20 miles from downtown Austin)

The good:
No income tax
Beautiful hill country
Guns!!
No emissions!!
Great weather
Out in the country on some acreage, no neighbors

The bad:
Property tax is a killer (2.12%)
Home values rising like crazy - empty 5 acres next door recently sold for $400K
Austin is a liberal cesspool.
Too many liberals moving here from CA/Oregon/Washington

Home values rising like crazy - empty 5 acres next door recently sold for $400K

LOL! That might get you a starter crackhouse around here,
plus we have income tax, 9% sales tax, AND at no extra charge no law enforcement! Beat that!

plus we have income tax, 9% sales tax, AND at no extra charge no law enforcement! Beat that!
At least it's a structure! This is bare, unimproved land. And our sales tax is 8.25%, not far behind!

I paid $15k/acre for an additional 80 acres of raw land in Napa, CA last year. @Driftwood saw paid $80k/acre in Texas. And my land has $50k/acre of grape production value when developed.

Coincidentally I was also trying to buy land in Fredericksburg, TX around the same time. But I got priced out during the pandemic.

Be careful that your narrative doesn’t blind you to your reality. Cynicism is a killer.

Coincidentally I was also trying to buy land in Fredericksburg, TX around the same time. But I got priced out during the pandemic.
Beautiful area out there, but yeah it's getting very expensive as well, especially considering how far out it is.

Beautiful area out there, but yeah it's getting very expensive as well, especially considering how far out it is.
Yeah, beautiful country. Lived near you before moving to CA. It was amazing to me how similar these places were in almost every way. Other than CA real estate being a lot more expensive... until last year. ?

Where are you originally from in NH?
not from NH. Born in MA and lived there until i was 17 before moving to ME. Lived in ME through college and then back to MA before moving to CA a few years ago.

As much as a liberal cesspool as MA is, it's like a red state compared to CA (hell, in MA I had concealed carry license, no way to do that in LA county). My family and my wife's are all back in MA, so I know I want to move back that way at some point, but life is too short to spend it all in blue donk states, so NH is the probable target.

not from NH. Born in MA and lived there until i was 17 before moving to ME. Lived in ME through college and then back to MA before moving to CA a few years ago.

As much as a liberal cesspool as MA is, it's like a red state compared to CA (hell, in MA I had concealed carry license, no way to do that in LA county). My family and my wife's are all back in MA, so I know I want to move back that way at some point, but life is too short to spend it all in blue donk states, so NH is the probable target.
I hear ya. I have a lot of of family in Down east Maine. Way out in the willy wag of Cutler. Well good luck getting back to the 603!!

I’m in Newport Beach, CA and it’s a beautiful place but the politics of CA have me wanting to leave incredibly badly. I have a ranch in ID and a ranch in MT and want to go to them and never come back.

I stayed here bc the women were to good to leave. Now that I’m engaged, that’s a moot point but unfortunately I developed a business here and I have family here. I do have a ten year plan to slowly spend more and more time in ID and MT until I’m eventually full time.

Its criminal what the politicians have done to this state and there are more takers than there are givers now. PLEASE, if you move from a liberal state bc it’s fucked up, don’t take those fucked politics with you and destroy another state.

I’ll say it again... IF YOU LEFT A STATE BC OF FUCKED UP POLITICS, DO NOT GO TO ANOTHER STATE AND TRY TO TURN IT INTO THAT FROM WHICH YOU JUST RAN!!!

Einstein’s definition of insanity.

Latest Discussions

Back