What window cleaner do you use?

njburn

Tremor Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 KR 6.7l (non Tremor)
As stated in the title, also what is your process? I can't seem to find a window cleaner that actually gets the windows clean. I have tried Napa, Invsible glass, ArmorAll, RainX and currently using Sprayway. I can't seem to find one that doesn't leave some kind of streaks. Not dirty looking streaks but leaves a greasy kind if streak that you can see when the sun shines on it and it glistens. Years ago I used to use Next Dimension window cleaner but I can't seem to find it any more.

For the process part, Next Dimension said to clean with a clean cloth the follow with another clean cloth to "buff" the glass. That process seemed to work really well with their product so it is the process I have used since. The windshield and rear window get cleaned twice before they get "buffed" because they are always the dirtiest. I have tried many different cloths and have found that 100% cotton cloth diapers seem to work the best for me. I have never had any luck with microfiber. These cloths are washed separate from any other laundry and not washed with fabric softener. These cloths are also only used for cleaning windows.

Any insight into what you guys use and how you do it would be greatly appreciated!

Along time ago I had a similar issue and set out to find the best cleaner and process. Found a box at AutoZone that looked promising (I forget the name of the product). Got it home and opened the box to find my $10 had bought me 3 micro fiber clothes and a set of instructions. I was disappointed but only in myself for not realizing how easy it was to get a perfectly clean window before giving some else $10 to tell me how.

Here is how it works:
  • Take 3 micro fiber towels and soak one in water.
  • Scrub your window thoroughly with the wet towel.
  • Use towel #2 to dry the window but don't try and get every bit of moisture off.
  • Use towel #3 to buff the window to a streak free shine
Occasionally i use Windex instead of water for step 1

Griots (love just about everything they make) or Invisible Glass.

Along time ago I had a similar issue and set out to find the best cleaner and process. Found a box at AutoZone that looked promising (I forget the name of the product). Got it home and opened the box to find my $10 had bought me 3 micro fiber clothes and a set of instructions. I was disappointed but only in myself for not realizing how easy it was to get a perfectly clean window before giving some else $10 to tell me how.

Here is how it works:
  • Take 3 micro fiber towels and soak one in water.
  • Scrub your window thoroughly with the wet towel.
  • Use towel #2 to dry the window but don't try and get every bit of moisture off.
  • Use towel #3 to buff the window to a streak free shine
Occasionally i use Windex instead of water for step 1
I too have found just a plain water soaked towel. Then buff with dry. It seems like the less chemicals the better. Now if you have a bunch of bugs, you will need to use a bug sponge, then once the bugs are off, start the process with just clear water. I came to realize this because my windows always seemed to be the most streak free after washing the truck and drying.

Sprayway...

And I use the clean then buff method.

Spray it on, scrub/wipe it off, then use a second dry towel to buff off any residue. I believe every cleaner leaves some kind of residue that needs to be buffed off.

Vinegar and newspaper for the inside. I'm not sure of the ratio of vinegar to water. Whatever the mixture is in the bottle under the kitchen sink is what I use.

Since newspaper is harder and harder to have around I've switched to some linen sheet rags we have a bag of.

Thanks for all of the replies. I never thought to use just water as I figured it wouldn't remove the grime I seem to get on the windows, I will have to give that a try. I have noticed that it seems aerosols are better than the same product in a pump, at least the ones I have tried both of. I have tried vinegar & didn't have luck with it but that could have just been the ratio I used. Adams & Griots are two I haven't tried. Looks like I will be doing some experiments with the vehicles in the driveway.

I use very hot plain water and then two dry buff cloths. Terry cloth is real good for this. This part is important, only use cloths that have been washed without any laundry additives such as softeners, fragrances and especially dryer cloths. These all leave a residue on the cloths that will smear up your glass, even if they are perfectly clean and haven't been used yet. And of course never clean windows in the sun or heat of the day. Better in morning or evening when you have a little more time to do the buffing out before water dries on its own.

And of course never clean windows in the sun or heat of the day. Better in morning or evening when you have a little more time to do the buffing out before water dries on its own.

This is a very good point & one I am very conscious about. My driveway is shaded by the neighbors tree in the morning & by my house in the evening. My glass is always cleaned in one of those windows & if the truck has been in the sun, I make sure it sits in the shade for at least a half hour before I try to clean the glass.

Newspaper for the win…and a lot of it! I’m talking like the entire front section and the sports page! I am literally as OCD about this as you sound (and I dig that about you) and using newspaper instead of towels scratches that itch for me. I also keep two of the refillable, flat containers of DampRid under the back seat to help keep the moisture down in the truck…allows me to go a bit longer in between inside window washes where that haze tends to form to catch the sun glare you mention.

As far as cleaners go - I make my own. Mixture of j/j baby shampoo, rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle.

Window film is caused by vinyl outgassing. All of the glass cleaners are fine but the secret is a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It’s the only thing that will remove the film relatively easily without multiple sessions of aggressive scrubbing.

Yes, all that new car smell goodness contributes to/creates the film haze on the inside.

This is the best glass cleaner I have come across -

It actually gets the film off the windshield in one application if you're detailed, two if you 1/2 ass the first application. :D

Last edited:
I like Amsoil glass cleaner might not be the best but seems to do well

As stated in the title, also what is your process? I can't seem to find a window cleaner that actually gets the windows clean. I have tried Napa, Invsible glass, ArmorAll, RainX and currently using Sprayway. I can't seem to find one that doesn't leave some kind of streaks. Not dirty looking streaks but leaves a greasy kind if streak that you can see when the sun shines on it and it glistens. Years ago I used to use Next Dimension window cleaner but I can't seem to find it any more.

For the process part, Next Dimension said to clean with a clean cloth the follow with another clean cloth to "buff" the glass. That process seemed to work really well with their product so it is the process I have used since. The windshield and rear window get cleaned twice before they get "buffed" because they are always the dirtiest. I have tried many different cloths and have found that 100% cotton cloth diapers seem to work the best for me. I have never had any luck with microfiber. These cloths are washed separate from any other laundry and not washed with fabric softener. These cloths are also only used for cleaning windows.

Any insight into what you guys use and how you do it would be greatly appreciated!

I have used just plain water and chamois cloth for over 40 years with good results!
Sometimes I may get some streaks, but then I just dry my windows with a good clean soft towel.
Always in the shade, never in the sun.
No need for special chemicals & cleaners thats just a waste of time & money! 👎

Back