What kind of lube does Godzilla prefer?

As long as you maintain good change intervals and use the proper weight oil with the Ford approved certificates you will be fine. My recommendation is to always use the same brand. I have run the Ford blend in my V-8 Raptor since it was new. Wally world sells it and has Motorcraft filters for cheap. Some times there is an online coupon for a dealer oil change for $19.95 but I hate how then never wipe the drips from the pan and crank the filters on so tight there are impossible to remove.

It definitely has the ford certification, and comes in the recommended 5w30.

While I don't have a Tremor yet...Just reading and prepping the home to allow it to fit :p

I do know about Oil (been in Oil and Gas for 20+ years) Full disclosure I do not work for Exxon Mobil.

I also vote for Mobil One. Even when I spent most of my career at a competitor, I still secretly used Mobil 1. I worked in the research lab where they used to do engine testing and studied the long-term effects with all the competitor's brands of oil. With Enginers from 2 Liter turbos to 6.7 Liter diesel. Both in the Lab and having staff take-home test vehicles for road testing.

In general, all the majors were within ~2% points in performance with their Synthetic Oils. Except for Castrol. It had some gumming it was lower. Mobil one was the most consistent and either led or was ~0.5% from the leader. Redline and Amsoil were marginally better...but not for 2x-3x the cost.

With Mobil One, I knew I could get it at Wally-World, and was happy with it. Plus their Synthetic filters are very good. Ford also makes excellent filters.

If you live in Extreme climates, i.e. TEXAS Gulf coast with high humidity and high heat or -20F Weather in the winters...Please change the oil no later than 5K or every 9 months. With all the crappy ethanol they put in the fuel, this interval avoids the varnish build-up. You have a $70K plus really nice truck. Take care of it.
Curious how Penzoil platinum performed. Been running it in my 7.3 and my SHO.

Have always went to full synthetic on first oil change and do 5K intervals when towing.
I do however switch back and forth with Mobile 1, Castrol and Valvoline, whatever is on sale at Autozone.

Have always went to full synthetic on first oil change and do 5K intervals when towing.
I do however switch back and forth with Mobile 1, Castrol and Valvoline, whatever is on sale at Autozone.
Not a great idea to keep switching between oil brands and sub brands. While synthetic oils are largely similar, the individual additive packages can be fundamentally different from one brand to the other. Worst case, one additive package doesn’t play well with the other and specs/cleanliness of oil changes and can cause more harm than help in the long run. Might be a good idea to give it an engine flush, then switch to one brand of full synthetic and stick with it.

Not a great idea to keep switching between oil brands and sub brands. While synthetic oils are largely similar, the individual additive packages can be fundamentally different from one brand to the other. Worst case, one additive package doesn’t play well with the other and specs/cleanliness of oil changes and can cause more harm than help in the long run. Might be a good idea to give it an engine flush, then switch to one brand of full synthetic and stick with it.

Completely understand the logic but been doing so for many years without harm........even mix 2 oil brands together on 1 oil change.

Completely understand the logic but been doing so for many years without harm........even mix 2 oil brands together on 1 oil change.
Damn... that's ballsy. I am super OCD about my ride. But I also never got into any trouble with Ford having to justify why I did one thing over the other. It's all so relative, at the end of day what you need is a good dealer that's willing to fight for you, products that you believe in and a process that works for you. With engine oils more so than with other stuff, belief seems to be the number one ingredient to the effectiveness of the lubricant.

I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on best oil for the 7.3L?

I’ve always been the type who trades in every few years, so longevity was never a concern and as such I always used the ford recommended semi-synthetic.

Now thinking I wanna keep this truck for the long term upwards of 10 years, and was curious of your knowledgeable opinions.

Is it worth is to go full synthetic? Or will the semi-synthetic that Ford recommends perform well enough?

What are the themes with Godzilla using?
Regular Mobil 1 5W-30 meets/exceeds Ford specs and it likes it.

Curious...why is everyone changing the oil at the first 1-2K miles? Why not when the truck tells you to (I assume that would be around 5000 or 10,000 miles.
Metallic residuals. Doesn’t seem to be enough to worry FoMoCo about warranty claims, but enough for someone wanting to play it safe to get those break-in residuals out rather than have them run through the system for 9000miles.

Curious...why is everyone changing the oil at the first 1-2K miles? Why not when the truck tells you to (I assume that would be around 5000 or 10,000 miles.
I’ve always had the same practice of changing the oil within the first 1k miles, this is as Pat said to get out any residual metallic particles since all the parts are new. The oil that comes in the motor from the factory is considered “Break-in” oil. Just as the owners manual says to vary the speed, and not to tow during the first 1k miles during break-in. I’ve always been very meticulous about my engines, so if it’s considered broken in at 1k then I’m changing out that oil & filter and putting in fresh stuff. THEN I’ll change to a regular interval.

I still don't see why the manufacturer wouldn't require one to get it changed within the first 1K miles then if it is considered "break-in" oil. Is it really that necessary, or just peace of mind for some folks?

What oil filters does use? I know everyone will have a personal favorite but curious if most stick with ford or aftermarket.

I still don't see why the manufacturer wouldn't require one to get it changed within the first 1K miles then if it is considered "break-in" oil. Is it really that necessary, or just peace of mind for some folks?
Yes - that is a good question. As I mentioned, I don't think changing the break-in oil early will make a significant difference in the first 60000 miles of the engine. That's why Ford doesn't recommend it and keeps your warranty intact if you don't. However, as much as the above is a fact, it is also true that metal shavings and residuals can be found, particularly in the first few oil changes. Other manufacturers out there actually do require you to change out break-in oil (i.e. my BMW M4 competition required you to change the oil at 1200 miles to stay within warranty).

So, it really depends on you - I honestly don't think you are going wrong either way. I personally am a bit OCD about these things, and so I change mine out at 1K 5K 10K and then every 5K, as I did with my Raptor. I also use Full Synthetic, but the question of "Which oil is best" is a whole other emotional war zone. I personally use Mobil 1 Extended Performance because it is one of the highest rated full synthetic oils and easily available everywhere.

What oil filters does use? I know everyone will have a personal favorite but curious if most stick with ford or aftermarket.
To expand on above post - with oil filters the story is a bit different because it is hard to find the detailed specs on oil filters. While I did chose to use M1 Extended Performance filter in my Raptor, it is actually more recommended by folks to use the suggested factory Motorcraft filter. The reason for this is largely the bypass pressures in the filter can be different, altering a bit the how & when oil is allowed to flow. So with the Tremor, I will stick to factory on this.

I did first oil change at 2500 miles with motorcraft synthetic blend 5w30 and motorcraft filter. Next change will go with full synthetic 5w30 and motorcraft filter.

For me it’s peace of mind, but also to each his own. Like I stated, I’m very particular with my motors, so on every vehicle and motorcycle I’ve ever owned the oil got changed at either 500 or 1,000 miles. Why not? I used my Ford Pass Points and it didn’t cost me anything for my first 2 oil changes ??‍♂️

I either use Wix or Fram Tough Guard. But then again, because I’m so particular I will change out Just my Filter between Oil Changes. Filters can get full pretty quick, and I run full synthetic oil, which can act like a solvent and breaks loose any build up in the engine. Filters are cheap, the motor is not and it gives me peace of mind.

I either use Wix or Fram Tough Guard. But then again, because I’m so particular I will change out Just my Filter between Oil Changes. Filters can get full pretty quick, and I run full synthetic oil, which can act like a solvent and breaks loose any build up in the engine. Filters are cheap, the motor is not and it gives me peace of mind.

Not trying to be a smartass, but how do you change the filter without changing the oil?

Back