What kind of lube does Godzilla prefer?

Yukon Bush Tremor

Tremor Fiend
I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on best oil for the 7.3L?

I’ve always been the type who trades in every few years, so longevity was never a concern and as such I always used the ford recommended semi-synthetic.

Now thinking I wanna keep this truck for the long term upwards of 10 years, and was curious of your knowledgeable opinions.

Is it worth is to go full synthetic? Or will the semi-synthetic that Ford recommends perform well enough?

What are the themes with Godzilla using?

richtor

Tremor Junkie
Current Ride
Race Red F250 Tremor
I’m going semi for the first change. Then full at 5 or 6 k miles.
Change at 2k miles. Then again at 6k then every 10k miles on full synthetic.

In the Yukon you have different temps/factors that NorCal will never see.

driftwoodsvt

First Tremor on Methods!
Staff member
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L Lariat w/ Ultimate & Sport
I did my first oil change at 3k miles, had the dealer do it. So whatever Ford uses is what I have.

JC_Tremor

Toasty
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
Focus ST
Ford does a blend...might do that at first then go full synthetic after. Not too worried about the frequency. Probably follow Ford's recommendation. Part of the reason I purchased the 7.3 push rod engine, durability and reliability for the long haul.

OP
Yukon Bush Tremor

Yukon Bush Tremor

Tremor Fiend
Thanks for the thoughts. I typically just go with the Ford recommended as well. Was wondering if someone was going to have strong opinions towards synthetic. The thread is young...

coachhomer

Founding Member
Current Ride
2020 F-350 Tremor
My only experience so far with synthetic is in my 2012 6.2L Raptor. Has 156k miles and purring like a kitten. Will be running full synthetic in this beast too.

Edit... I have run synthetic in other non-Ford vehicles for years with no issues.

C

RafterP

Tremor Buff
Current Ride
2020 6.7 Lariat Tremor
I would go with what the manual says. Benefits of syn to me are negligible unless you live in an extremely cold climate and want easier starts or are looking to go beyond the mfgr. suggested OCI’s. Regular old dino oil has shown to be just as effective out to and beyond recommended intervals in literally thousands of documented OA’s.

Uncas

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
2018 Ford Raptor
Mobil 1 all around, I dropped the factory oil and diff at 1000 miles and do an oil change at 7500 with the Ford Racing oil filter. Been running Mobil 1 for 35 years with several high mileage vehicles. My 2012 Raptor had 200k when I traded it in with no problems (wish I kept it instead of buying a 2018), I always did 7500 miles and the same Ford Racing filter FL820.

ShiverMeTimbers

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
2020 F250 7.3 Tremor Lariat, Magnetic w/chrooome
Current Ride #2
Duckworth XL 30
I changed oil at 2k, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Ordered two 5-quart bottle on Amazon. It took just shy of 8 quarts. Haven't cut the filter open yet. I intend to have this truck for 10+ years. Will send the next oil change in for analysis, because I'm a nerd like that.

thevol

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
7.3 XLT Tremor
Anyone else annoyed with the dipstick? It is about 4ft long and flimsy, even has a riveted connection in the middle. It also hangs on something when it is about a foot from going all the way in, probably the rivet connection. I hope they upgrade this thing so I can replace it or get an aftermarket one, this one seems like an afterthought.

sroemmich

Tremor Fanatic
Anyone else annoyed with the dipstick? It is about 4ft long and flimsy, even has a riveted connection in the middle. It also hangs on something when it is about a foot from going all the way in, probably the rivet connection. I hope they upgrade this thing so I can replace it or get an aftermarket one, this one seems like an afterthought.
Yep it’s janky

SHW372

Tremor Newbie
Current Ride
2020 7.3
Mobil 1 First oil change at 2600 miles next will be at 5000. Going to do 5000 mile oil changes and tire rotations. Oil change is easy but yes the dipstick could be improved.