What is this?

Joined
Feb 19, 2023
Messages
1,271
Reaction Points
3,386
Location
Crestwood, KY
Starting the Fox HTO install and noticed this vent tube tied to the top stud on the driver side front mount. Do I need to get the plastic nut/zip tie again or perfectly fine on its own?

IMG_7281.webp
 
IIRC that’s a vent for the front pumpkin. It doesn’t have to be put back exactly like that. If the plastic nut doesn’t fit over the new stud, you can slip a piece of rubber hose over the threads and zip tie the vent line to it. You just don’t want it to rub through or kink.
 
It’s plastic and shouldn’t prevent the nut from being loosened. Unless you are saying you can’t get a wrench on the nut because of it.
@mrmag00 they are available from any Avery Dennison retailer. Hellermann also has these, but I’ve found the Ford seems to source from AD for their stuff. That’s where I got the push- in (fir tree) zip tie mounts for the oval holes in the frame rails. Problem is, you probably have to buy 100 of them.

1791561849811.webp
 
Last edited:
Greg's got an in at the plant he can probably get one. for the rest of us yes you have to buy 100 pieces, so I just used 2 zip ties 1 around the stud and the other around the line looped to each other it's worked so far.
 
The Evil Twin , that’s exactly it. It was preventing me from getting the wrench on the nut. I just cut it off.

I called the dealership and they said the part wasn’t sold on its own and you had to buy the whole vacuum line. Yeah, no. I’ve got my source looking into it.

mrmag00 , do you remember the torque specs you used on the HTOs? I’m seeing varying numbers online.
 
I recently replaced mine, it all comes as a single assembly. I couldn't get that connector off, so it remains. I was in the "too hot and sweaty to figure this out" phase of the install.
 
It should spin off. If not, a large flat head underneath it should pry it up. If it isn’t destroyed you can reuse it.
Just confirmed it’s the diff vent line. It terminates under the hood against the firewall near the brake booster.
 
mrmag00 , do you remember the torque specs you used on the HTOs? I’m seeing varying numbers online.

Fox Dual-Speed Compression (DSC) shocks use standard vehicle-specific mounting hardware torque specs rather than a unique torque value for the shock itself. [1]

Typical Torque Specifications
    • Top Mount / Strut Hat Nuts (Coilovers): 24 ft-lbs (standard for most Fox truck and Jeep applications) [1, 2]
    • Lower Shock / Bar-Pin Bolts: 50 to 66+ ft-lbs (refer to your specific vehicle's factory service manual or Fox installation guide for your exact truck/SUV model)
 
The Evil Twin , that’s exactly it. It was preventing me from getting the wrench on the nut. I just cut it off.

I called the dealership and they said the part wasn’t sold on its own and you had to buy the whole vacuum line. Yeah, no. I’ve got my source looking into it.

mrmag00 , do you remember the torque specs you used on the HTOs? I’m seeing varying numbers online.
Follow the HTO instructions, it's not a "torque spec", it's a visual. 1/8 inch protrusion max.
 
Follow the HTO instructions, it's not a "torque spec", it's a visual. 1/8 inch protrusion max.
I would somewhat agree. Fox’s installation guide specifically says to “refer to the manufacturer’s service manual for recommended torque specifications.”

I found the numbers online a torqued accordingly 👍🏼
 
I would somewhat agree. Fox’s installation guide specifically says to “refer to the manufacturer’s service manual for recommended torque specifications.”

I found the numbers online a torqued accordingly 👍🏼
Yeah, I see that they are speaking cautiously about where the torque spec is and the "Do not tighten mounting bushings with excessive torque. The bushings should be pre-load compressed only by approximately 1/8 inch" correlate.

It does say to check manufactures specs for their particular hardware as a catch all statement and quantify it with another statement that some installations will have the bushings wider than the sleeve and others will have the sleeve, wider than the bushings.

Kind of a catch all statement. What did you find was the actual spec and what kind of torque wrench did you use? (My torque wrench won't work without a crow's foot, which I don't have. (Yet?)
 
Back
Top Bottom