What do you guys make of these tire cracks?

toximus

Tremor Fiend
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Jeep LJ
1-1/2 years old. 37k miles. Discount Tire says it's ozone cracking, but I live in WI and only have a few trips into the south on these tires...I have older tires at home sitting outside that have zero cracks.

Is it possible it's related to overloaded tires? I don't want to invest in a brand new set for this to happen again... 🫤

PXL_20240419_170535197.jpg
PXL_20240419_170343890.jpg
PXL_20240419_170322958.jpg
PXL_20240419_132150833.jpg
PXL_20240419_132140474.MP.jpg

Last edited:
My personal experience with cracks in tires lead to a complete de-lamination of the tread off the steel belt. In my case it was due to age, and being a camper that wasn't getting used much at the time.

Imo those tires are not worth the risk.

Curious though, 1.5 years since you installed the tires or since the tires were manufactured?

My personal experience with cracks in tires lead to a complete de-lamination of the tread off the steel belt. In my case it was due to age, and being a camper that wasn't getting used much at the time.

Imo those tires are not worth the risk.

Curious though, 1.5 years since you installed the tires or since the tires were manufactured?

Picked up truck in September 2022. Tires have a date code of 2322 so June 2022.

Bet you ride down roads with rocks and such. Even small rock chips have sharp edges, not deep enough to cut through to make leaks. As any other Tremor owner you got more than enough money to buy new tires every 6 months. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 😜😜😜 Spend what you want.

Last edited:
Interesting, just had a work call about that type of cracking occurring on many of the work rigs. It has resulted in several blowouts and flats. According to the local tire shop some tires are having trouble with that kind of failure. On the call it was reported be a major issue with some of the Falken Wildpeaks manufactured in the 2019 to 2021 time frame. Haven’t heard much about it on the Good-for-a-years though, I wonder if it could be a rubber compound issue in colder climates with harder rubber tires.

Ford dealer took a look at it and said drive the heck out of it.

Thats normal from rocks
Mine look the exact same but on Toyos. Its normal.
I live on a 2000 ft gravel driveway. Every tire on all our vehicles has those cracks at your mileage. In 20 years zero failures and got 50000 + miles out of every set.
Thanks boys!

Fixing this flat in rural Arkansas turned into an all day adventure running around into Texas. I think Discount Tire saw an out of towner and tried to take advantage. They refused to patch it saying they don't fix splits. The metal bands were visible. Thankfully the dealer took care of it for $19.95 and even mounted my spare back up.

1-1/2 years old. 37k miles. Discount Tire says it's ozone cracking, but I live in WI and only have a few trips into the south on these tires...I have older tires at home sitting outside that have zero cracks.

Is it possible it's related to overloaded tires? I don't want to invest in a brand new set for this to happen again... 🫤

View attachment 153149View attachment 153150View attachment 153151View attachment 153152View attachment 153153
Unfortunately, ozone does affect rubber. You can research it anywhere on the web. Also, I have seen equipment with rubber O rings crack and go bad from the ozone created inside the unit from electronic switching. (Was a big issue for switching attenuators.)

On a tire, this compounded with heavy use would tend to make the cracks more pronounced and possibly make them "crawl". It also seems that boat trailer tires have this happen often and usually causes replacement necessary long before the tread is gone. Perhaps related to water intrusion in the cracks?

Wiki:

Those microcracks down at the bottom of the lugs kind of in the valleys are stretched rubber after sun damage. I see that stuff daily on my farm trucks. It's not something I tend to worry about on the farm but it's something I'd be leery of if I'm hauling/towing heavier things.

That said, my wheel loader has those cracks and it lifts 3 cu. yds. of mulch almost daily and doesn't have any problems so... what do I know.

I will go take a look my tires tomorrow. My build date is June 22, brought it home mid August 22, and dismounted mine at 34k miles. (12k miles ago) I do rotate every 5k. But don’t recall mine looking like that at all.

Back