Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 Azure Gray Platinum
Current Ride #2
2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
First Responder
Retired EMS
So I tow a 24-foot enclosed car hauler with motorcycles or car. It weighs between 6.5K - 10K with roughly 10% tongue weight.
Should I use a WDH or can I just buy the proper drop hitch?
MEC-small-2.jpg
I will be doing 2000 mile trips at a time! WHats your experience on sag with 1000 lbs tongue weight or less ?

On my Raptor a 6 K WDH made my truck level with the motorcycles.

images.jpg

Weight distribution for sure. It will help to level out your ride and better distribute the tongue weight.

I use a cheaper, old school setup (Reese Pro Series) with our trailer because it's what I'm used to. They all work well if sized appropriately for your tongue weight range and installed correctly. Some are easier to use, less noisy, etc, but there's a good range of prices available for every budget. Find something you can live with and your wallet can tolerate. Well worth it, any way you slice it - towing with/without is night and day, especially in the weight range you're talking about.

Anderson sway control hitch works great
6EA8B223-DECF-4299-A73B-C7CACB2AB102.png

Last edited:
I have a 24' all aluminum trailer (frame and skin). I've been hauling two SxS (CanAM and RZR) for the past year about 4500mi total / 15 trips. The combined weight of the trailer and SxS's is about 6500-7000# with 8 extra tires and fuel cans. I have the Weigh-Safe 6" drop hitch and it runs right about 950-1000# and the truck sits nearly level with this loading including 4 folks in the truck with a few light things in the bed like a Cooler, chairs, camp grill, firewood, etc., With the truck being +7000#, it tows real nice I think. Proper weight balance helps, I'm at the top of the 10-15% recommended tongue weight for my trailer load. I could move the load back a little, but so far I think it's OK without a WD hitch or sway control, even when I pull just one SxS and the trailer is lightly loaded. When I towed the same trailer and load in my Titan, it was a real white knuckler without the WD and sway control.

Attachments

• 950Lbs.jpg
    950Lbs.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200306_173427.jpg
    20200306_173427.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 28
I have a 24' all aluminum trailer (frame and skin). I've been hauling two SxS (CanAM and RZR) for the past year about 4500mi total / 15 trips. The combined weight of the trailer and SxS's is about 6500-7000# with 8 extra tires and fuel cans. I have the Weigh-Safe 6" drop hitch and it runs right about 950-1000# and the truck sits nearly level with this loading including 4 folks in the truck with a few light things in the bed like a Cooler, chairs, camp grill, firewood, etc., With the truck being +7000#, it tows real nice I think. Proper weight balance helps, I'm at the top of the 10-15% recommended tongue weight for my trailer load. I could move the load back a little, but so far I think it's OK without a WD hitch or sway control, even when I pull just one SxS and the trailer is lightly loaded. When I towed the same trailer and load in my Titan, it was a real white knuckler without the WD and sway control.
Thank you that's exactly what I wanted to know. How accurate do you think the scale is on your hitch?

I've not compared it to any other scale for comparison. But the picture is from when it was brand new, so I imagine if Weight-Safe was selling highly inaccurate scales you'd hear about it on the Internet. Also, most scales are most accurate in their mid-scale range, so I'd give it +/- 50#.

Also, my truck doesn't have a level-kit, or reverse level. So at 1000# hitch weight, the truck sits almost level.

Attachments

• 20200306_173626.jpg
    20200306_173626.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 25
Back