Weboost

Starlink is far more friendly with internet than Weeboost but there is a use fee and signup required. If your phone can be set for "WIFI calling", you may be able to make phone calls in the middle of nowhere over Starlink as well.
https://www.americantv.com/will-starlink-support-wi-fi-calling.php

Weeboost has its advantages though, no use fees and will work with virtually any cell service provider. Some will do 5G (providing you can a get a 5G signal.)

edit: WIFI calling (was Internet calling.)
Yeah, we love our Starlink! Elon is the man.

Yeah, we love our Starlink! Elon is the man.
I'd say there are a few satellites up there...
Starlink satellites are amongst the scattered green dots; some look like lines, and some are just individual. The circle, which is surrounding the earth, is many different satellite's, military, weather, nav., etc. Every green spec you see is a satellite of some kind. There are many more not visible on this screen.

1713155784030.jpeg

This is a pretty neat appliance. Am I understanding correctly that this is similar to those AT&T Microcell's that were available for purchase in the early 2000's before Wifi calling was a "thing"?

This is a pretty neat appliance. Am I understanding correctly that this is similar to those AT&T Microcell's that were available for purchase in the early 2000's before Wifi calling was a "thing"?
In a word, yes. The microcell was an older technology (I believe ended with 3G) and simply was not updated. Newer codes and technology outpaced it, so it now resides in the garage storage locker with the Atari and Osborne computers. :ROFLMAO:

Phone technology has far surpassed those days and the Weeboost is simply an amplifier to pick up and generate very small signals from your phone in remote locations, to establish a connection with a tower.

The tower has plenty of power to communicate with your phone once it identifies your unique code and make the connection, but your phone doesn't have enough power on its own to let the tower know you are there. (again, in remote locations.) You still must be somewhere within the towers range. (0 signal: no communication. Forget "bars", they don't mean a lot, the tower can still make connection, even if there are no "bars" as long as there is a small signal present.)

The tower is king. It controls the power from your phone, the Weeboost simply gives it that boost required. (Simplest answer for the complex communication scheme.)

No those microcells are completely different than a weboost. They actually where a micro cell tower that connected to their network over your home internet and then to your phone the same way your phone connected to their big towers. They could create a cellular signal and connection where there was no signal. With the full rollout of WiFi calling they are no longer needed in your house.

They are/were managed a little differently and usually only allowed your phones and maybe others you added to a list to connect to them.

They are still used today (kinda) but now the carriers put them up and they serve all their customers. They do this in places where a big tower couldn’t go and there is high traffic like a stadium or airport.

The weboost works more like an external antenna and can only boost an existing signal.

No those microcells are completely different than a weboost. They actually where a micro cell tower that connected to their network over your home internet and then to your phone the same way your phone connected to their big towers. They could create a cellular signal and connection where there was no signal. With the full rollout of WiFi calling they are no longer needed in your house.

They are/were managed a little differently and usually only allowed your phones and maybe others you added to a list to connect to them.

They are still used today (kinda) but now the carriers put them up and they serve all their customers. They do this in places where a big tower couldn’t go and there is high traffic like a stadium or airport.

The weboost works more like an external antenna and can only boost an existing signal.
Didn't bother to go into the technology description of the Microcell, to further expand your input:

Pick up Open Signal or another similar app so you know which direction the closest tower is and you can position you truck antenna in that direction for better reception. Also check which bands you are receiving in that area. Not all boosters boost all bands.

I looked at the weboost but for the few times of the year I need it not worth it. I’m hoping it won’t be long until we can have normal smartphones with satellite connectivity full time. Imagine connecting to starlink on my iPhone.
I think Stralink will be available but you won't get it thru Starlink...There recent Tmo deal has shown they plan to sell it to carriers. Carriers will offer sat service but it will be at a premium, selling Starlink isn't going to fund their network build outs.

Finally got around to installing a weboost signal booster. Purchased the “overland” kit from Costco around Christmas. Mounted the antenna using the sdhq pillar mounts. They’re meant for lights but the slotted holes in the mount line up perfectly with the holes in the underside of the antenna base. Ran the wiring through the rubber grommet in the driver footwell and along the side sill. Booster is under the driver seat. Fits well and doesn’t interfere with the easy entry and exit function of the seat. Wired it to one of the up fitter switches. The other pillar mount will be for a vhf/uhf antenna.
How do you like it???

It’s flipping amazing. I’m using it right now. Middle of a huge national forest. We have it permanently mounted on the roof of the camper and it works 100% flying down the rd..

Weboost has its purpose though…. I was only referring to Starlink for the Netflix comment above.
By far the best thing I’ve done to my truck. I switched from a weboost cell booster to this. It’s so so good to have high speed internet literally everywhere (dense tree coverage aside).
IMG_1908.jpeg

How do you like it???
No complaints so far. I know people want to compare it to starlink but it is completely different. It's a cell booster. It does what it's supposed to. But it won't make a network where there isn't one.

Back