Vermonster’s Thread! (Life with a SD Tremor)

Nope. Have not heard from them since UPS picked it up from my house on Tuesday. I just tracked it and it appears it’s arriving tomorrow. 😎
I’ll ask when I’m there. Haha

Well, just passed my Tech license exam also. Couldn’t be left out of the cool crowd! I swear this group is the worst thing that’s ever happened to me! 😂
783hh4.gif

Look at the mayhAm I’ve created!

Seriously, so naughty!

I got to say - this is quite the community.

If you’re following this ham radio and cell booster project you know I’m working with Bullet Proof Diesel on their dual antenna mount system for my weboost cell booster from @OffroadAlliance and my compactenna ham antenna (both NMO base solution)

I bought “cool white” Rigid lights from @Nick@ApolloOptics as Bullet Proof Diesel only sells amber at this time, and I shipped them to Bullet Proof Diesel as a replacement.

Yesterday Bullet Proof Diesel called me and to let me know they had received them and were in the process of installing them to their mount. They also said while the are happy to do this for me, it’s currently something they can’t quite do for everyone yet as their build process is not prepared for one-off types of builds. However, they are in the process of potentially securing other Rigid light color options as an internal solution so you can do exactly what I’m doing. I am assuming the same will be true for their BD light option. I believe they are worried about becoming flooded with one-off builds. These are NOT cheap to begin with, as you know. In my opinion additional options could increase sales and maybe change the price point - but we will see.

With that said, not only did they swap out my lights for my clear option during the build, they also have added an SMA connection to the weboost side so I can run the weboost without modifying the cables myself. 🤓 each cable is 15’ long, and I could have requested them to be shorter.

They have been absolutely amazing to work with. They also credited my lights off their price of amber ones and there was no crazy charge for the SMA installation.

Not only are they awesome, but yesterday our forum brother @Vecman went to their shop to also inquire about his own project and took these photos of my kit being assembled! How cool is that!!!!!

Thanks, brother! Very fortunate to have so many amazing people here.

18A37EED-77A5-4F97-B8C2-29C4D6E1502C.jpeg
C7A7C29B-5F10-47A7-AEA4-956ED01D58A6.jpeg

That is awesome and am definitely watching / learning from this project as I would like to do this down the road (gotta get the truck first 😆 )

This forum is hands down the best and I really appreciate how it is a great space for people to engage with and learn from each other, regardless of their knowledge or experience level.

I spent about an hour with Andrew, one of the managers at Bullet Proof Diesel, as he worked on @Vermonster kit. He was very helpful and very informative. Took me on a tour of the manufacturing area, showing me the various lathes and mills and such. So cool. He does wish the pricing of their mounts could be cheaper, but they are milling this from a large block of aluminum, as it’;s currently the only way they can do these dual antenna mounts. So it is what it is. They are quality, I can tell you that. I asked him how many people actually inquire about getting clear/white lights for these mounts, instead of the amber ones. He said they don’t get many inquires for that at all, so it’s not offered. That could change in the future, and they may also offer an option to get an SMA connection also, but for now, they do try to accommodate these requests when feasible.
I am a big Baja Design Iights fan. I had the clear rock lights, and took them in so they could install them and give me my mount. However, and Andrew felt really bad about this, they special order rock lights from BD that has the wiring cable come out of the middle of the back of the housing, so it can go into the mount correctly and ensure no water can enter. The normal rock lights have the wires coming out the sides. So my lights wouldn’t work. We spent a good 20 min trying to think of a way to do it, and it just couldn’t be done. So i had to get some Rigid ones and do the same as Vermonster is doing.
So as a public service announcement, to anyone wanting to do clear lights instead of amber as they offer, DO NOT BUY BAJA! Haha. you have to go Rigid. Unless Baja can hook us up with clear lights with wires coming out the back… @Baja Designs - any chance a run of 1 can be done for some clear rock lights?

Removed the horrible label from my antenna today. Some effort peeling it off and some Goo Gone did the trick.
1AB40220-A335-4786-9CAE-FEA4C9AD4CD6.jpeg
E032E4AD-7A73-426C-852F-F25DDAB08FD9.jpeg

Its not HAM, but thought I'd share my Bullet proof diesel antenna mount install. Its a surprisingly strong mount. One antenna is for GMRS and the other is for CB. I had a local HAM buddy some over to look over my install. I honestly don't understand his fancy equipment but he was very satisfied with the all his analyzing, for whats that worth.

My radios are mounted in the center console. Midland MXT575 and a Uniden cmx760. Look forward to seeing everyone else's installs!

Attachments

• Ants.jpg
    Ants.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Ants2.jpg
    Ants2.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Radios.jpg
    Radios.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 79
Its not HAM, but thought I'd share my Bullet proof diesel antenna mount install. Its a surprisingly strong mount. One antenna is for GMRS and the other is for CB. I had a local HAM buddy some over to look over my install. I honestly don't understand his fancy equipment but he was very satisfied with the all his analyzing, for whats that worth.

My radios are mounted in the center console. Midland MXT575 and a Uniden cmx760. Look forward to seeing everyone else's installs!
That looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing! It certainly looks like the business from the front with those antennas.

Do you have to run with the console open when you use the radio?

Seriously - that sticker did not want to give up the ghost. Goo Gone saved the day for sure
Dude - it was like a sticker over a sticker. *delete-o*

How much thicker is the bulletproof mount using factory 3rd brake lights?

I’m extremely tempted to try the bulletproof mount but without lights & the replacement plate as I’ve got about 1/2” between the topper and the 3rd brake light and really don’t want any contact between them lol

I’m extremely tempted to try the bulletproof mount but without lights & the replacement plate as I’ve got about 1/2” between the topper and the 3rd brake light and really don’t want any contact between them lol
1/2” will be cutting it pretty close. They aren’t super think, but 1/2” isn’t super thick either. I’m gonna try to pick mine up tomorrow - if I do, I’ll measure for you.

Reactions: Gus
Do you have to run with the console open when you use the radio?

No. Both radios have all the controls, to include audio, contained in the mic's. The console has recessed areas on the left and right hand side where I'm able to lay one or both mics out and close the lid without crushing the cord(s).

1/2” will be cutting it pretty close. They aren’t super think, but 1/2” isn’t super thick either. I’m gonna try to pick mine up tomorrow - if I do, I’ll measure for you.

I know bulletproof makes a plate that totally replaces the lights but even then I’m afraid to try it as little wiggle room as I’ve got

@Gus - post #930 above is a no light mount. Looks pretty thin. Maybe he can give you a more realistic measurement for no light mounted depth. I’m still happy to send mine once I get it

@Gus - post #930 above is a no light mount. Looks pretty thin. Maybe he can give you a more realistic measurement for no light mounted depth. I’m still happy to send mine once I get it

That mount uses factory lights, the plate they have replaces all the lights & is only a dual antenna mount.

I can only assume the antenna mount with the lights removed and replaced by the plat is thinner than when using factory 3rd brake light

Gus, I hope this picture helps. One thing I noticed as I was jumping out of the truck Is my tape was covering the rear-bed camera lens.

Antmeasure.jpg

Back