Vecman's Build - Boyhood Dreams Realized!

I ended up removing the tailgate keeper. I just was bending and getting in the way. It never installed properly for me, regardless of the modifications I made. I’m not concerned about this so they’re gone

You mean the latchlid? The product sucks, i took mine off too. i figured i have a diamondback, why do i even need it if the latches are open from the inside and my inside is secure.

You mean the latchlid? The product sucks, i took mine off too. i figured i have a diamondback, why do i even need it if the latches are open from the inside and my inside is secure.
Yeah, the plates right? I have the Sentry CT which has aluminum slats inside, not as strong as a diamondback, but strong enough. I wasn’t ever really impressed with that product.

Yeah, the plates right? I have the Sentry CT which has aluminum slats inside, not as strong as a diamondback, but strong enough. I wasn’t ever really impressed with that product.

Yep, they are called the latch lid. The older version you and i have rust badly, and when some of us contacted the seller…let me not go into his lame response, once i read it i knew i didnt want to deal with this individual further...he then came out with a powder coated version that supposedly doesn't rust, but all that is beside the point that with a secure cover this type of protection should not be necessary.

My onboard air is great to have always available, but due to a single compressor, it’s very slow when I need to air all 4 tires. Just random needed air, it’s’ totally fine. After my trip, I purchased a Morrflate TenSix Pro compressor. Wow, what a difference! I built my own 4 tire inflate setup, that was actually quite fun to do, and with this new pump, it’s amazing! I aired down all 4 tires to 15 psi, took about 5 min to do that. Then, I let my onboard air system inflate back to 65 psi (normal pressure I drive at). The onboard system took 54 min. Ouch.

Aired down again to 15 psi. Hooked up the new Morrflate compressor. That baby aired them back up in 14 min!! I was shocked! My next set of tires are going to be mud terrains, and most of the ones I’m looking at are max 50 psi, so this setup is gonna be lightning fast, especially since I won’t be airing down to 15 on the trails without some kind of bead lock.

View attachment 130789

I cut the jumper cables off this compressor, and installed an Anderson plug. So I can just plug it into the bed and go to work. I have the old alligator clips connected to another plug, so I can take this into other vehicles and it will still be able to connect to the battery as well.
That’s a big difference in time to inflate! Question for you, if you were to do your onboard air again (purchased equipment) would you go with the arb twin compressor instead? I wonder what the difference would be between the morrflate vs arb.
Reason I ask is I will be installing on board air and I am leaning to the arb twin. Thanks in advance.

Edit: so I looked up the specs of the arb and it does not pump the same amount of air as your morrflate.
4.68 cfm at 29psi compared to 6.5 cfm at 30psi.
With that being said the question still stands of would you have gone with arb twin if you did it over again?

Last edited:
That’s a big difference in time to inflate! Question for you, if you were to do your onboard air again (purchased equipment) would you go with the arb twin compressor instead? I wonder what the difference would be between the morrflate vs arb.
Reason I ask is I will be installing on board air and I am leaning to the arb twin. Thanks in advance.

Edit: so I looked up the specs of the arb and it does not pump the same amount of air as your morrflate.
4.68 cfm at 29psi compared to 6.5 cfm at 30psi.
With that being said the question still stands of would you have gone with arb twin if you did it over again?
No, I’m happy with the Viair setup for the random times I’ve needed air. But for airing up/down tires for offroad, man, that morrflate is fast. And, it has an electric gauge so you can set the psi you want and just let it run till it shuts itself off. Really great value in my opinion (it cost the same as my Viair compressor!)

No, I’m happy with the Viair setup for the random times I’ve needed air. But for airing up/down tires for offroad, man, that morrflate is fast. And, it has an electric gauge so you can set the psi you want and just let it run till it shuts itself off. Really great value in my opinion (it cost the same as my Viair compressor!)
Really appreciate the response. That makes sense for sure. You have a killer build. I like all the plugs you’ve put in your bed too, particularly the Anderson plugs.

Really appreciate the response. That makes sense for sure. You have a killer build. I like all the plugs you’ve put in your bed too, particularly the Anderson plugs.
Thanks!!
After the trophy hitch and before I found the Morrflate, I was considering adding a second compressor to my system. I looked at the ARB but either adding another viair or switching out to the ARB just didn’t add a ton of CFM capability. Then I stumbled on the new morrflate compressor, and even though it’s not a permanent install type, it was cheaper than adding a second compressor, so just decided to go with it since it offered the best air flow, especially for a 4 tire hose system. I really like it.

Many of you have ways to jump start the truck outside of the engine bay, in case your truck is locked and the battery is dead. I figured I’d use my big Anderson plug for this. So, here’s where I mounted the big Anderson plug for the winch. I also have a large plug that shrinks down to a smaller plug in case I need to use this location for a smaller device/load. And, I have a set of alligator clips tucked up into the trophy hitch that are nice and tight, but still easily accessible in the event I am stuck somewhere, and don’t require the tire to be lowered. Then I can just go alligator to alligator and jump start the truck.
(The picture looks a bit weird from this angle, but it’s well above the exhaust, and cannot be seen from outside the truck. So I like that it’s somewhat hidden)

View attachment 130793

View attachment 130794
Very nice set up.

I wll be bugging you when I get to my rear winch set up soon.

If you were to have twin Viair set up, would you say the time to air up that same volume would be cut in half (from 54 minutes)?

I've yet to get on board air on my rig simply due to the same reason: a single motor pump I have from years ago can inflate my 35s from the 20 to 55 psi in less than 20 minutes with a single hose. I have used this pump in extreme weather and it does not want to give up on me so I have stuck to its loyalty.

I have been stalking a few of those portable dual cylinder pumps myself over the last few months and I still haven't decided from going with an on board air system or these pumps that spit out some ridiculous air pressure that permanent pumps just cannot.

The THOR lightning portable dual compressor is another good one per the specs and can be used on a single tire as opposed to the MORRflate which is designed for to be used on all 4 tires only.

If you were to have twin Viair set up, would you say the time to air up that same volume would be cut in half (from 54 minutes)?

I've yet to get on board air on my rig simply due to the same reason: a single motor pump I have from years ago can inflate my 35s from the 20 to 55 psi in less than 20 minutes with a single hose. I have used this pump in extreme weather and it does not want to give up on me so I have stuck to its loyalty.

I have been stalking a few of those portable dual cylinder pumps myself over the last few months and I still haven't decided from going with an on board air system or these pumps that spit out some ridiculous air pressure that permanent pumps just cannot.

The THOR lightning portable dual compressor is another good one per the specs and can be used on a single tire as opposed to the MORRflate which is designed for to be used on all 4 tires only.
A dual viair setup will obviously be faster than a single, but it won’t cut the time in half exactly. They have some specs on their website. I like my single pump setup as an emergency need air kind of thing. It’s always there and I can do everything I need to with it. But when it comes down to deflating/inflating tires for off-road stuff, you just can’t beat the portable dual compressor pumps with a 4 tire hose setup. I bought the Morrflate pump, but built my own hose system. Love the setup now. I debated just adding a second compressor to the onboard system, but the extra pump was more than the Morrflate pump. Just didn’t make sense. I may still add a second compressor to my system, maybe, just to have more onboard capability, but I will still use my Morrflate for offroading.

A dual viair setup will obviously be faster than a single, but it won’t cut the time in half exactly. They have some specs on their website. I like my single pump setup as an emergency need air kind of thing. It’s always there and I can do everything I need to with it. But when it comes down to deflating/inflating tires for off-road stuff, you just can’t beat the portable dual compressor pumps with a 4 tire hose setup. I bought the Morrflate pump, but built my own hose system. Love the setup now. I debated just adding a second compressor to the onboard system, but the extra pump was more than the Morrflate pump. Just didn’t make sense. I may still add a second compressor to my system, maybe, just to have more onboard capability, but I will still use my Morrflate for offroading.
The 4-tire hose is nearly as much as the compressor itself.

I am sure it was much cheaper to simply build your own.

Honestly I can't remember what the factory gauge sizes are for the various upfitter wires, so that may rule that out entirely if the factory wires are the wrong gauge for a proper crimp.

Though, you can always fold the factory wire back over on itself to artificially change the gauge size (if it's too small). Just strip a little extra insulation to achieve this.

For ferrule type crimps, I'm a fan of 6 jaw crimpers. Not sure if this would work. Definitely inexpensive and worth trying though on the Deutsch terminals.

71f7S50XmPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I can confirm this crimper DID NOT work on the deutsch connectors, but I thank you for the recommendation. I was able to get an okay crimp with my cheap wire terminal crimpers. Certainly not professional like the proper crimpers would have been so I will look closer at paying the $ for the next upfitters I hookup. I do like the connectors though!

This new install allowed me to do a few other additions. I’ve been wanting power in the bed, so this is my solution. I added a 125 amp Anderson plug and a DC plug with USB ports as well.

View attachment 130777

View attachment 130778

Not my preferred place to put these, but since I have builtright panels on the side, and there isn’t space to mount this on the inside portion (caps hit the panels as well) this is where they had to go. They don’t stick out much so I don't’ think this is gonna cause me any grief. Time will tell.
What size AWG did you use for this set up?

What size AWG did you use for this set up?
I think 2 gauge going from the battery to a distribution block, then from there various sizes for the various components. I think the Andersen plug is 4 gauge? Then they’re 2/0 going from the battery directly to the larger Andersen plug above the exhaust for the hitch mounted winch and jumping capability if needed.

I think 2 gauge going from the battery to a distribution block, then from there various sizes for the various components. I think the Andersen plug is 4 gauge? Then they’re 2/0 going from the battery directly to the larger Andersen plug above the exhaust for the hitch mounted winch and jumping capability if needed.
I guess its OK to go big eh? Better be safe than sorry.

Thank you!

Well, it was such a cheap option, just wanted to put it on there.

Yes, I concur! 👍

I’ve had friends and our family with a huge ranch that had PTO’s that were put to tremendous work on a regular basis.
I was always intrigued by what they could accomplish by Having one of those on their trucks. But I also heard just as often about how damn expensive they were to not only purchase but have installed on their trucks. And none of them were installed in a very “stealth” way! When you saw the truck, you knew it had a PTO!

So before I placed the order for my Tremor I did my due diligence re the PTO option.

Did I have the immediate need for one? No.
Did I expect to have a future need for one? No.

So I changed my direction and started asking the people in the know if there was any reason that I should not check the box on the order form to have my truck built with it.

Does it affect fuel mileage?
Does it exclude ordering any other options?
Does it require adding other options?
Does it interfere with any typical aftermarket options?
What kind of maintenance would it require with non-use?
Does it go bad by not utilizing it for the avg length of personal vehicle ownership?
Would it affect resale value negatively, or positively?

No one could give me a definitive reason to not get it!

As far as resale value goes, negatively? Maybe a person might be apprehensive about buying the truck from me with a PTO because it’s something they’ll never need and don’t want something there that they don’t know anything about and don’t want the risk of added expense of having to deal with it one way or the other?
Positively? If there is a buyer out there specifically looking for a second hand Super Duty that has the factory PTO on it, he would be running, not walking to my place to check it out. And not that I would be able to ask a lot more for it because it has one, but it would certainly be worth more to those very few buyers that are out there looking for them.

So, I was facing a couple hundred dollar factory option to either add or not to my order which was already very full of other options, so it really made no difference to me one bit with the price so I did check the box.
No regrets 😉

@BroncoHooves - I’m doing some DC electrical plug areas in the bed, and need to get behind my brake lights. I did the tail gate keeper thing, and also swapped for the security screws. Now I need to get the lights off, and I cannot find that dang key anywhere to take the screws out! Any ideas on how to get these security screws out? Damage to the screw is perfectly acceptable, as I have the stock screws going back in after I’m done.

Unfortunately, you (and much less honest individuals) can get those hollow hex torx bit’s pretty much anywhere for a few bucks.
Harbor Freight sells a few full sets of “security” bits starting at $4.99. O’Reilly’s and Napa too, as well as online.

Occasionally, when auto Burglary suspects got popped in the act and we found those bits in their possession, we could occasionally add possession of burglary tools to their charges. Of course, unless we provided a lot of documentation within the report, the ADA would typically drop those charges because he/she didn’t have a clue as to what they were! 🙄
My first experience with those security screws was back in ‘99 when I got my first new ‘20 Excusion and had a full Pioneer system installed in it which included a rear camera mounted in a very nice SS license plate frame that included two of those screws to mount it with.
Back then, I was impressed by them. These days, sadly, not so much. Anyone that wants one of the bits can get one ...

Unfortunately, you (and much less honest individuals) can get those hollow hex torx bit’s pretty much anywhere for a few bucks.
Harbor Freight sells a few full sets of “security” bits starting at $4.99. O’Reilly’s and Napa too, as well as online.

Occasionally, when auto Burglary suspects got popped in the act and we found those bits in their possession, we could occasionally add possession of burglary tools to their charges. Of course, unless we provided a lot of documentation within the report, the ADA would typically drop those charges because he/she didn’t have a clue as to what they were! 🙄
My first experience with those security screws was back in ‘99 when I got my first new ‘20 Excusion and had a full Pioneer system installed in it which included a rear camera mounted in a very nice SS license plate frame that included two of those screws to mount it with.
Back then, I was impressed by them. These days, sadly, not so much. Anyone that wants one of the bits can get one ...
yeah, I had no idea they sold so many security bit options. Oh well, I’m not concerned about these screws anymore as they are out. Hopefully my tonneau cover and closed/locked tailgate will keep someone out.

yeah, I had no idea they sold so many security bit options. Oh well, I’m not concerned about these screws anymore as they are out. Hopefully my tonneau cover and closed/locked tailgate will keep someone out.
It’s why I use mixed security screw types so one bit still won’t take the item off the truck.

Back