Truck Campers Only, w/ an Overland & Off-roading theme

My suggestion, based on my uses which seem similar to yours, is upgrade the shocks but leave the rest of the suspension alone. Ford seems to have done a great job having 2 zones for the rear suspension so it's not firm all the time. I'm in the middle of this upgrade myself right now, so I'll have more feedback on how it actually goes soon.

Regarding the steps/stairs discussion. I used the Little Giant 4 step and am looking for a solution that works with the Rigd swing and is easily storable. Supertramp is working on step that mount into the hitch that plays well with the Rigd swing out. It’s has an extra step when compared to Rigd’s skep. Kelsey at ST said she is hoping to have the final prototype by April 15th.

IMG_3984.jpeg

Last edited:
My suggestion, based on my uses which seem similar to yours, is upgrade the shocks but leave the rest of the suspension alone. Ford seems to have done a great job having 2 zones for the rear suspension so it's not firm all the time. I'm in the middle of this upgrade myself right now, so I'll have more feedback on how it actually goes soon.
Which shocks are you looking at going with? Carli sounds awesome, but I’m also curious about OneUp as they are localish and seem robust.

That’s was what I was thinking about doing to the Tundra. Go thru Accutune to get them dialed. Loved my Fox’s on my JK Wrangler.
Fyi - I'm pretty sure Accutune is just dropshipping these with Fox's tune.

IMG_1676.jpeg

Well well well. Look what just showed up in my driveway. Buddy from NC stopped by for a visit. Project M is actually pretty cool.

Fyi - I'm pretty sure Accutune is just dropshipping these with Fox's tune.
That’s not my impression from their media, people recommending them, and speaking to them. That would be really crappy on their part if that was the case.

Edit: my guess is that you’ve seen this channel if looking at the Fox DSC’s.

Last edited:
Just finished reading all 53 pages. Damn, that’s a lot of great info. It’s amazing seeing thoughtful and logical discussion's on the internet.

I’m in the market to upgrade my pop top from a FWC Fleet to a Supertramp or OEV Backcountry. I currently have a ‘18 Tundra DC with a HD Dobinsons Lift/Leafs, 35” E-rated Duratracs and airbags. It handles the camper decent (2000+lbs with full gear, water, racks, and bikes), but rides like a pogo stick with the camper off, which is usually the case during the winter. It also feels like I’m pulling anchor when on the highway. I’m regeared with 5.29’s.

That leads me to looking at a Superduty for whichever camper I’m going with. I don’t love that it’s getting longer and taller, but I definitely look forward to less driving fatigue on long trips. So my questions are:

- Is the Tremor package worth it if I end up changing suspension components to Carli or One Up and Deaver? I’ll miss the limited slip front, but not sure if I really need the extra off road modes. I’ve always had sliders on my rigs, but I do like the idea of Amp Research steps for my wife with this rig. Edit: I would love to keep the suspension as stock as possible.
2nd edit: forgot to mention that Sumo’s look to be a good option to replace factory bumps and leave the factory leafs in place.

- I’m out in Central Oregon and often travel around the West on a lot of long washboard roads. How do you feel the Tremor handles those unloaded? Upgrading the suspension would make it more compliant, but then do you lose the ride quality when loaded? I’m not expecting a smooth ride, just don’t want it to be teeth rattling insane like my current setup.

- Thinking about the Lariat Ultimate for the Adaptive Cruise and added safety features. Can’t believe those are not standard in Lariat or XLT Premium.

Here’s a pic of the current rig. If it were just me, I might keep the Tundra, soften the suspension and put a SuperPacific up top.

Boy is that post right up my ally as we have experience with a Tundra and new F250 and ALL THREE of the campers you mention. Our 2013 Tundra DC served us well with stock suspension, Firestone Riderite airbags and E-rated tires, but was crazy overloaded and that was always on my mind. Started with a FWC and ran that for three years. Then a OEV CAMP-X (now Backcountry) for three years. Received 2024 Superduty F250 Supercab (non-tremor) in December and loaded up our Supertramp Camper last Friday.

I'll have more input after we spend a week driving trails in UT mid-April, but the first year, we are sticking with stock suspension so get an idea of how it compares to the Tundra, know how it performs (or doesn't) stock, and to know first hand what deficiencies I want to address. Only mod I'll make is sandwiching rubber compound between ends of main leaf pack and overload pack to make overload engagement more linear. The thing I'm likely to notice most and find inadequate is with the front suspension only having about 2 or 3 inches of up-travel/compression from the factory before hitting bump stops. More compression travel would be nice.

I don't want lift just for the sake of lift if I don't need it. I fit LT285/75R18 on stock suspension which is the largest tire I plan to run, even if we do a suspension lift. I don't want to deal with heavier tires since I change tires/wheels seasonally, don't like tire poke and snow/mud/rocks up the side of the truck, the extra weight means more wear and tear and worse mileage, plus I want to fit a fullsize spare tire in the stock spare location...though I do LOVE the look of 37s. As mentioned before, I like tall and skinny so would be very tempted with a 285/80R18 (36").

Our last two rigs were already constantly banging overhead and side branches on the trails that we frequent locally here in MT. The new pickup's bed sits about 3" taller and camper itself is 3" taller than the last one so already going to hit more branches. Keeping overall height low is important where we drive, but I will do a suspension lift if I deem it necessary for comfortable travel trail driving and/or necessary for adequate clearance.

Like you, we run our camper seasonally. On about 7 months (April - October) and off about 5 months (November - March) depending on the year. That complicates suspension compared to those that leave camper on fulltime and can slap on a nice new full leaf pack for their weight and call it a day.

We wanted a Supercab rather than Crewcab, so Tremor was not an option, but, like you, the limited slip front axle is the primary thing I'm missing. I won't use all the driving modes and trail turn assist (don't like idea of tearing up my tires or the trail) and I can extend the breather tubes for water crossings. I replaced the running board brackets on the stock running boards with the shorter F150 brackets to tuck them up close to the cab.

FX4 can be had with skid plates and whatever rear gearing you want. I went with 3.73 locker and I'm happy to have had that option where the Tremor forces you into a 4.30 locker. I got the 10,400# GVWR package on my F250 and that gave me the 16 bolt Sterling 11.6" rear axle, both a helper spring and overload spring, and a few pounds shy of 3,200lb max payload. With the 1,600lb dry weight Supertramp loaded, 1/3 tank of water, full propane, batteries, tools, recovery gear, the truck sits perfectly level and drove like a dream for the 700 mile trip home including some whoopy backroads. Still 1/2" between the main leaf pack and helper spring and 2" from engaging the overload spring when sitting still. Based on the dust imprints, I do see that the overload springs had touched a various times through out the drive.

For comparison, in the Tundra, we definitely slowed down completely to the recommended speed on curve warning signs. On the way home with the F250/STC, I was driving 10mph faster than recommended on the curves (i.e. 50 for 40mph curves. 60 for 50mph curves) and could have gone way faster as 10mph over on the curves was 100% comfortable, totally planted and not leaning over at all.

As for Tremor suspension, my take is if you are looking at anything more than simply swapping shocks, like a full aftermarket lift, at least consider/compare a non-Tremor. But then, easy for me to say since I couldn't get a Tremor Supercab anyway. I also could not get the Ultimate Package on my Lariat Supercab (Adaptive cruise control, upgraded stereo, etc.) but am happy with what I did get in the Lariat. It feels like a Platinum in my mind since I was coming from a 2013 Tundra base that had power door locks and windows, regular cruise control and A/C, but that is about it. Had manual seats, manual HVAC, no cameras, cloth bench seat, etc.).

Last edited:
Still 1/2" between the main leaf pack and helper spring and 3+" from engaging the overload spring when sitting still. Based on the dust imprints, I do see that the overload springs had touched a various times through out the drive.

Which are you calling helper and which are you calling overload? I'm surprised my (presumably lighter) FWC is about 1/2" off the overloads sitting still if yours are 3" off (which is where mine are unloaded)...

Which are you calling helper and which are you calling overload? I'm surprised my (presumably lighter) FWC is about 1/2" off the overloads sitting still if yours are 3" off (which is where mine are unloaded)...

Curious what your door sticker says for max GVWR and max payload?

Here is a pic of my truck sitting in the shop. Granted, I currently have the water tank empty, we are not loaded for a trip, and my wife and I are not in the truck, but all my tools/recovery gear is in the truck as always. And it depends on if one is looking/measuring the front pad of the overload spring or rear pad sits closer to the spring than the front pad. This picture is in front of the axle on the drivers side (front of truck is to the left). And i double checked and it's closer to 2" at the closest point in this pic so I edited my above post

Blue circle is the main leaf pack (which is 2 leaves on a non-tremor F250 and is 3 leaves on a Tremor F250 and on all F350).

Yellow circle is the helper spring.

Red circle is the overload spring. Some F250 don't have an overload spring. Guessing mine does because of the 10,400# GVWR package. Same for mine having the 16 bolt Sterling 11.6" rear axle rather than one of the smaller axles.

20240326_082629 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Curious what your door sticker says for max GVWR and max payload?

Here is a pic of my truck sitting in the shop. Granted, I currently have the water tank empty, we are not loaded for a trip, and my wife and I are not in the truck, but all my tools/recovery gear is in the truck as always. And it depends on if one is looking/measuring the front pad of the overload spring or rear pad sits closer to the spring than the front pad. This picture is in front of the axle on the drivers side (front of truck is to the left). And i double checked and it's closer to 2" at the closest point in this pic so I edited my above post

Blue circle is the main leaf pack (which is 2 leaves on a non-tremor F250 and is 3 leaves on a Tremor F250 and on all F350).

Yellow circle is the helper spring.

Red circle is the overload spring. Some F250 don't have an overload spring. Guessing mine does because of the 10,400# GVWR package. Same for mine having the 16 bolt Sterling 11.6" rear axle rather than one of the smaller axles.

View attachment 150515

That's loaded with the TC? 😲 Very different from my F350 Tremor... I'll get pics in a sec.

Here's mine unloaded just sitting in the driveway. Maybe 50lbs of junk sitting in the cab of the truck. When my (heavy for a FWC) FWC is loaded there's just enough room to slide my fingers between the overloads and the pads.

PXL_20240328_214953903.MP.jpg

That's loaded with the TC? 😲 Very different from my F350 Tremor... I'll get pics in a sec.

Yep, that is with the empty Supertramp Camper sitting in it and all my tools and recover gear under the rear seat platform. At least 1,600lbs - 1,800lbs of payload on it right now.
Interesting that yours is sitting so different with a main leaf pack with 3 springs vs my 2.
A small factor might be how broken in the springs are. My truck was received only here in December and hasn't had more than 200 lbs in the bed until last Friday when we picked up the camper. Perhaps it will settle a bit as times goes but surely not an inch.

I got the 10,400# GVWR package on my F250 and that gave me the 16 bolt Sterling 11.6" rear axle, both a helper spring and overload spring, and a few pounds shy of 3,200lb max payload.
I believe this upgrade to the F250 non-Tremor means you basically have a F350 (or Tremor) rear spring pack.

I'm curious now. Hopefully someone else will post up soon with pictures of their loaded springs.

I'm curious now. Hopefully someone else will post up soon with pictures of their loaded springs.
I haven’t read all these. What are we all looking for?

I haven’t read all these. What are we all looking for?
A picture like this and list your cargo weight (if known):

Here's mine unloaded just sitting in the driveway. Maybe 50lbs of junk sitting in the cab of the truck. When my (heavy for a FWC) FWC is loaded there's just enough room to slide my fingers between the overloads and the pads.

View attachment 150532

Latest Discussions

Back