Truck Campers Only, w/ an Overland & Off-roading theme

Figured I would write up a brief overview from my camper shakedown trip. We drove ~3400 miles from the SF Bay area as far south as La Ventana, BCS, MX and back. This included a mixture of CA highways, Mexican highways (if you want to call them that), dirt roads, rough trails, some 4x4. We camped all but 5 nights out of 32. In general my wife and I both like the livability of the camper compared to the van. Having a permanently set up queen bed, dinette, and toilet were big hits. I still miss a few things about the van, but I'm moving on. Here's a few high level thoughts on various items:

Bison Camper shell: Overall worked well. A few small leaks around canvas to deal with, the roof actuators lost programming on lower limit, and a pretty intense thermal bridge on the aluminum channel used to attach the canvas at the top and bottom edges. Putting aside some of my petty gripes on some perceived quality issues, it seems to be a pretty solid shell. It got a lot of shaking and bouncing around and no sign of structural issues.

Bowen Customs flatbed: Well laid out and very functional. I love the rear slide out drawer with lid that doubles as a table. I had some initial quality issues with it immediately after having it installed but worked through them all. Overall I'm very happy with it and Bowen seems to be knocking it out of the park in the flatbed market right now.

Vice Customs cabinets: Layout, construction and quality is all good. Only conflict we both missed during design is that the lower door of the toilet compartment hits the camper door handle when the camper door is closed. Not a big deal at all and doesn’t impact functionality, but just something we both missed during design. I definitely can recommend Dustin at Vice Customs.

Airhead toilet: Works as advertised. Wife and I are both generally happy with it.

Induction cooking: I’m a big fan now! I use a small table top version instead of a built in. It boils my water for morning tea in just over 2 minutes. It is not impacted by wind when cooking outside (which is really the only place I cook) which is awesome. Draws ~170 amps (@ 12volts) on high.

AC Electric water heater: I’m also a big fan. I installed a 1.5 gallon electric water heater. The size & location is working very well (very short runs to faucet and outside shower). It heats to temp in about 7 minutes. I installed a thermostatic mixing valve to the outside shower set at 100 deg F which also worked great. A very short initial burst of cold water until it was at a constant 100 deg.

Water system: The ShureFlow pump is the noisiest pump I’ve ever had!! It was embarrassing when camped near others. Others I have owned haven’t been exactly quiet, but not this bad. I just bought a Seaflo pump that gets good reviews and will give it a try. Should be nearly an exact swap out dimensionally. My drinking water filter system worked well. The water always tasted great through those filters (cartridge and UV).

Electrical in general: I purchased a complete Victron / Battle Born setup direct from Battle Born Batteries. 4 x 100 amp hour batteries, 3000 watt inverter, solar and DC/DC chargers. 350 watts of Renogy solar panels (from Amazon) on the roof. I never went below 70% capacity. Couldn’t be happier!

Autoterm diesel heater: Unfortunately it had an electrical issue the first night and I didn’t really need it for the trip so just let it be. I checked it out yesterday and it appears I had a bad 25 amp blade fuse that came with the heater. The fuse melted but didn’t blow. That concerned me and I just pulled both fuses out for the remainder of the trip to prevent a fire. I’ve never had that happen with a fuse, but I put a new fuse in and ran it through its paces yesterday and all seems fine now. The vented fuel cap on my small diesel tank leaks a lot so I need to get that addressed. Think I’ll vent the tank with a hose and put a non-vented cap on.

Awning: I love the Taruca 270 awning! It has great coverage and held up very well to some pretty good wind. The built in LED lighting on two of the arms were perfect for cooking or beach parties after dark. It is very well constructed.

Bed: The Sedona RV Mattress from Matress Insider combined with the Froli sleep system were a winner. It was so nice to have a permanently set up queen size bed with N/S sleeping arrangement.

Fans: While it never got really hot on this trip, we did use the three Caframo Sirocco II fans I installed inside. So nice that you can point them in any direction needed and they move a little or a lot of air depending on speed. It’s “that time of life” for my wife where hot flashes come and go constantly so she really appreciated them.

Reading lights: I installed reading lights next to each of our pillows. Just inexpensive Amazon lights but they are great EXCEPT using my HAM radio seems to trigger them on / off / on / off …. Totally bizarre as they are on completely isolated electrical systems. The RF is somehow strobing them. Otherwise, they were great little reading lights with dimming and a red light capability.

The Truck: Overall worked great. So glad I spent the money on the suspension upgrades. Rough trails / off road were quite smooth. I wish my center of mass wasn’t so far back and high, but that’s the nature of the beast. My van was much better balanced in that regard. With ~3400 miles travelled over many types of terrain, different speeds, and different weather / wind I averaged 10.7 MPG which I’m actually pretty happy with (7.3L gas engine).

That's the highlights. Here's a few truck pics from the trip. I sure wish I was still down there!

PXL_20240224_012311211.jpg

PXL_20240223_014901362.jpg

PXL_20240215_012406937-EDIT.jpg

PXL_20240212_133824639.PANO.jpg

PXL_20240205_135605251.jpg

PXL_20240205_015358811.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240227_230553874.jpg

PXL_20240223_150328551.jpg

PXL_20240219_165554256.jpg

PXL_20240219_011737872.jpg

PXL_20240211_011141529.jpg

PXL_20240210_030008773.NIGHT.jpg

3,400 seems like more than just a "shakedown" :)

Thanks for all the info and thoughts! Can't wait to get out there with mine and spend a few weeks on the road getting all the little issues sorted out.
Figured I would write up a brief overview from my camper shakedown trip. We drove ~3400 miles from the SF Bay area as far south as La Ventana, BCS, MX and back. This included a mixture of CA highways, Mexican highways (if you want to call them that), dirt roads, rough trails, some 4x4. We camped all but 5 nights out of 32. In general my wife and I both like the livability of the camper compared to the van. Having a permanently set up queen bed, dinette, and toilet were big hits. I still miss a few things about the van, but I'm moving on. Here's a few high level thoughts on various items:

Late to the game. Couple pics from my camera roll. Pushing the limits of the rig, last CAT scale numbers with full fuel, me and my son, water, provisions, tools, firewood, etc was 13100 lbs so unfortunately biting the bullet to build out a heavier duty rig. But I absolutely love this machine and the opportunities it has opened up.
IMG_7172.jpeg
IMG_4423.jpeg
IMG_6643.jpeg
IMG_6630.jpeg
IMG_6503.jpeg

Last edited:
winch plate bracket.jpg

@PJPVI Great trip!
What front license plate bracket is that, in the above image, covering your Ford factory bumper winch and how does it work? Been looking for a solution and so far, the ones I've found won't fit due to fairlead bolt width or the fairlead/winch being so tucked in. Ideally, I'd love to find or make a solution that gets sucked in by the winch and released when one releases the winch rope. I'm removing the hook/thimble on my winch line and will only run a looped end. I've come up with a design where the loop will pull a rubber-padded bracket in against the fairlead and then have a plate bracket hanging forward, but no access to a good metal bender to make it. Ford came out if the "low front plate bracket", that hangs down low from the front bumper and would get ripped off on our first outing. Any insight appreciated. I want a solution that covers the winch just to keep some of the road grime, mud, dust, snow/ice out of the winch and winch line. Thanks.

Last edited:
@PJPVI love all the photos. Thank you for sharing.

Just an early heads up to my favorite peeps on the forum, we will be doing a AFN front/rear bumper group buy starting march 15th for those wanting some steel between you and the inevitable ______.

Last edited:
Hey Chadx -

Gun Magnets are your friend. I cut the heck out of the stock license plate holder to get to just a flat holder, attached two gun magnets, and use a piece of heavy duty vinyl to try to protect the paint. I changed out to a winch rope end that lays flat (no not the hyper expensive Factor 55 although that would be nice). It didn't move at all this entire trip but when I need to use the winch I just pull it off. Yes, someone could steal my plate but I'm not too worried about that. At a glance it looks like it is bolted on.

Thanks for blurring my plate. I know I should do that as it seems to be conventional wisdom but I figure I drive around all the time with it showing. Hopefully it doesn't bite me some day....

I also use a gun magnet to hold my camper door open. It's just double sided taped to the camper frame with a painted piece of steel taped to the door. It also worked great this entire trip.

PXL_20240305_174343784.jpg

PXL_20240305_174347711.jpg

PXL_20240305_174511516.jpg

@PJPVI love all the photos. Thank you for sharing.

Just an early heads up to my favorite peeps on the forum, we will be doing a AFN front/rear bumper group buy starting march 15th for those wanting some steel between you and the inevitable ______.
Thanks!

I'd love one of those front bumpers but I decided when I bought the truck that I'd keep the stock one until I destroy it. Guess I'd better start doing some more serious 4-wheeling!

@PJPVI

Come up to Park City where we spend half of the year.. On our street alone its a 50/50 chance you clobber a deer every day.

Our neighbor hit one last week in his GMC Denali. $9k.

Alternatively, drive through socal and youll bump a Tesla model three texting and driving.

Hey Chadx -

Gun Magnets are your friend. I cut the heck out of the stock license plate holder to get to just a flat holder, attached two gun magnets, and use a piece of heavy duty vinyl to try to protect the paint. I changed out to a winch rope end that lays flat (no not the hyper expensive Factor 55 although that would be nice). It didn't move at all this entire trip but when I need to use the winch I just pull it off. Yes, someone could steal my plate but I'm not too worried about that. At a glance it looks like it is bolted on.

Thanks for blurring my plate. I know I should do that as it seems to be conventional wisdom but I figure I drive around all the time with it showing. Hopefully it doesn't bite me some day....

Great idea! Didn't think of magnets working on the main bumper. I see many different sizes and hold-ratings of gun magnets. Sounds like two 30lb strength were plenty in your experience, but if you were doing it again, would you stick with those or go with the 45 or 55 strength rectanglular ones?
Going to give this a try. I might add a small tether to the setup as well...just for my mental well being. Ha.

I doubt there is much, if any, risk of not blurring license plates and I saw that you didn't in your post. But, since I was posting a close up of your bumper, I went ahead and did it. (y)

Great idea! Didn't think of magnets working on the main bumper. I see many different sizes and hold-ratings of gun magnets. Sounds like two 30lb strength were plenty in your experience, but if you were doing it again, would you stick with those or go with the 45 or 55 strength rectanglular ones?
Going to give this a try. I might add a small tether to the setup as well...just for my mental well being. Ha.

I doubt there is much, if any, risk of not blurring license plates and I saw that you didn't in your post. But, since I was posting a close up of your bumper, I went ahead and did it. (y)
The two 30lb magnets seem to be totally adequate so far. Like I said, this entire trip which included a lot of washboard driving and it didn't move at all.

I'm using a couple of the 55lb ones to try to hold the multiple layers of fabric together on the pop top to keep the outer layer from bulging the wrong way when I put the top down and getting pinched. They are plenty strong through what amounts to 4 layers of fabric but as you can see I also put a bungee around my canvas top. I still need to keep an eye on it as the top goes down. I have another solution in mind to solve this but the top lowers so slowly I have plenty of time to keep an eye on it so I may never get around to it. You can see them in this picture above the bungee cord. Had Mr. Bison guy had the multi layers sewn together vertically a few places at the front and rear this wouldn't be an issue. On the sides where windows are sewn in it's not a problem at all. All the layers fold in together nicely.

PXL_20240223_150355624.jpg

Last edited:
The two 30lb magnets seem to be totally adequate so far. Like I said, this entire trip which included a lot of washboard driving and it didn't move at all.

I'm using a couple of the 55lb ones to try to hold the multiple layers of fabric together on the pop top to keep the outer layer from bulging the wrong way when I put the top down and getting pinched. They are plenty strong through what amounts to 4 layers of fabric but as you can see I also put a bungee around my canvas top. I still need to keep an eye on it as the top goes down. I have another solution in mind to solve this but the top lowers so slowly I have plenty of time to keep an eye on it so I may never get around to it. You can see them in this picture above the bungee cord. Had Mr. Bison guy had the multi layers sewn together vertically a few places at the front and rear this wouldn't be an issue. On the sides where windows are sewn in it's not a problem at all. All the layers fold in together nicely.

Might not work for your application but I had a Ford Transit with a CCV topper. When lowering the top the fabric would push out the sides and kinda go wherever it wanted. My topper had a MaxxAir fan installed so I would run the fan to pull air out while lowering the top. This would suck in the fabric and keep it from getting pinched as the top lowered.

Spring Creek.jpg

Might not work for your application but I had a Ford Transit with a CCV topper. When lowering the top the fabric would push out the sides and kinda go wherever it wanted. My topper had a MaxxAir fan installed so I would run the fan to pull air out while lowering the top. This would suck in the fabric and keep it from getting pinched as the top lowered.
My field van's poptop (aka sportsmobile top) has the same shock cord setup around the outside. Works super well.
Probably the only thing that works well on the entire top... 🤣 😫

IMG_6945.jpg

IMG_6946.jpg

You are a genius! I tried that when I just closed it up at the shop and that worked like a champ. I didn't think it would since I have multiple layers of fabric that are not connected front and rear of the top, but it sucked it all in great. Thanks!

My field van's poptop (aka sportsmobile top) has the same shock cord setup around the outside. Works super well.
Probably the only thing that works well on the entire top... 🤣 😫
My SMB van I just got rid of had the same dual shock cord setup that worked well. Yes, I was never too impressed with the top on my van but it did hold together (more or less) for my 17 years of ownership with heavy use.

Water system: The ShureFlow pump is the noisiest pump I’ve ever had!! It was embarrassing when camped near others. Others I have owned haven’t been exactly quiet, but not this bad. I just bought a Seaflo pump that gets good reviews and will give it a try. Should be nearly an exact swap out dimensionally.
Update on this for anyone doing a DIY systems buildout. I swapped out the ShureFlo water pump for a Seaflo pump and it is a world of difference. It is now whisper quiet compared to the extremely loud pulsating banging noise of the ShureFlo pump. Seaflo has several different series of pumps. I used the 42 Series 3GPM pump which was NOT an exact swap out dimensionally. I had to modify both mounting and some PEX routing, but wasn't too bad. This will make camping so much more peaceful and make any neighbors to the camper much happier as well.

Back