To delete or not to delete? That is the question

BarryGedman

Tremor Fan
Joined
Sep 13, 2026
Messages
37
Reaction Points
41
Location
California
Military
USMC
First Responder
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Current Ride #1
2027 F350
I’m curious what the consensus is on doing a full delete on a new diesel. I’m on the fence. On one hand, it obviously voids the warranty, on the other, most of the problems associated with these trucks seem to stem from the emissions system cocking up otherwise reliable engines. I’m in CA but am not concerned about checks as I live in one of the two only carb exempt counties, and will never need a smog check. I also don’t plan on doing anything radical with a tune. This is would strictly be for engine longevity. I have a shop that will do it lined up. Should I wait until the factory warranty expires and put the truck through 3 years of use with all that garbage emissions crap on it, or just get it over with out the gate and hope nothing else crazy goes wrong with the power train right away?
 
Are you keeping the truck long term (5 years +)? Are you going to drive over 100,000 miles?? Or are you going to have a new truck in 2 years??

:cool: :cool: :coffee: :coffee: 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
 
I’m not trying to sway you either way, but….
My last truck was. I had no issues getting warranty work done. Transmission input shaft leak repaired ($4500), transfer case output shaft leak was done, a couple of ball joints, primary cooling system thermostat replaced.
That was then. When I bought the new truck, I asked my service advisor about deleting it. I’ve known the guy for over 10 years and he is a straight shooter. He said don’t do it unless you are willing to pay for any and all repairs. Ford is regularly asking for engine bay and undercarriage photos for even the most mundane warranty claims. Then denying repairs if the truck is molested.
Yes, I know that the manufacturer has to prove the modification played a part in causing the failure. Problem is, Ford knows 99.14% of people can’t or won’t spend the time and money to fight their lawyers. Plus, going to court and saying “I broke federal law and Ford won’t fix my truck” doesn’t appeal to most. It’s like going to the cops and saying someone stole your kilo of Columbian Gold.
 
Then Problem is, Ford knows 99.14% of people can’t or won’t spend the time and money to fight their lawyers. Plus, going to court and saying “I broke federal law and Ford won’t fix my truck” doesn’t appeal to most. It’s like going to the cops and saying someone stole your kilo of Columbian Gold.
1790856482169.gif
 
Im curious about this as well. I take quite a few short trips and am about to trade my 7.3 for a diesel. The only concern I have is the short trips gunking everything up. Been back and forth on it.
 
Im curious about this as well. I take quite a few short trips and am about to trade my 7.3 for a diesel. The only concern I have is the short trips gunking everything up. Been back and forth on it.
D&T will not solve the short trip problem.
 
Im curious about this as well. I take quite a few short trips and am about to trade my 7.3 for a diesel. The only concern I have is the short trips gunking everything up. Been back and forth on it.
My HO is a daily driver. Short trips around town mostly. No issues. Some people are so wrapped up in reading more into it than it really is. I took her to FL last month. A good 6-7 hours of highway driving. She was flawless. Just drive her. If you feel you must, take a trip out to the country or a local highway and give her some foot and let her stretch her legs.
 
Been building working on diesels a long time, it’s a slippery slope a lot depends on area and dealer you’re dealing with my local dealer you’d be screwed I don’t mess with the new ones anymore another issue is tuning all the top tear tuners I knew are pretty much gone or gone underground so you’re left with a lot of some kid in his moms basement tweaking pirated tunes here today gone tomorrow so when you need a revision you’re screwed and have to pay the next guy all over again, plus the new systems are more efficient than they used to be
 
I’m not trying to sway you either way, but….
My last truck was. I had no issues getting warranty work done. Transmission input shaft leak repaired ($4500), transfer case output shaft leak was done, a couple of ball joints, primary cooling system thermostat replaced.
That was then. When I bought the new truck, I asked my service advisor about deleting it. I’ve known the guy for over 10 years and he is a straight shooter. He said don’t do it unless you are willing to pay for any and all repairs. Ford is regularly asking for engine bay and undercarriage photos for even the most mundane warranty claims. Then denying repairs if the truck is molested.
Yes, I know that the manufacturer has to prove the modification played a part in causing the failure. Problem is, Ford knows 99.14% of people can’t or won’t spend the time and money to fight their lawyers. Plus, going to court and saying “I broke federal law and Fordwon’t fix my truck” doesn’t appeal to most. It’s like going to the cops and saying someone stole your kilo of Columbian Gold.
 
Keep it stock till warranty is up. These motors are a ton of cash to fix.
 
I’m not trying to sway you either way, but….
My last truck was. I had no issues getting warranty work done. Transmission input shaft leak repaired ($4500), transfer case output shaft leak was done, a couple of ball joints, primary cooling system thermostat replaced.
That was then. When I bought the new truck, I asked my service advisor about deleting it. I’ve known the guy for over 10 years and he is a straight shooter. He said don’t do it unless you are willing to pay for any and all repairs. Ford is regularly asking for engine bay and undercarriage photos for even the most mundane warranty claims. Then denying repairs if the truck is molested.
Yes, I know that the manufacturer has to prove the modification played a part in causing the failure. Problem is, Ford knows 99.14% of people can’t or won’t spend the time and money to fight their lawyers. Plus, going to court and saying “I broke federal law and Ford won’t fix my truck” doesn’t appeal to most. It’s like going to the cops and saying someone stole your kilo of Columbian Gold.
Good point
 
Im curious about this as well. I take quite a few short trips and am about to trade my 7.3 for a diesel. The only concern I have is the short trips gunking everything up. Been back and forth on it.
This will be my problem as well
 
My HO is a daily driver. Short trips around town mostly. No issues. Some people are so wrapped up in reading more into it than it really is. I took her to FL last month. A good 6-7 hours of highway driving. She was flawless. Just drive her. If you feel you must, take a trip out to the country or a local highway and give her some foot and let her stretch her legs.
My commute to work is about 100 miles. I figure I will run her on that a couple times a month and that should more than stretch her legs. 🤷🏻‍♂️
 
Im curious about this as well. I take quite a few short trips and am about to trade my 7.3 for a diesel. The only concern I have is the short trips gunking everything up. Been back and forth on it.
I only do short trips 90% of the time and take an occasional long trip between short trips to keep it excercised. No problems at all after 4 years. I think the fear factor is way overrated. Diesels are amazingly strong and last many thousands of miles with everyday use. Just follow the simple rules, change oil on time, use good fuel and add additives if using Dino fuel for prolonged periods as a precaution, don't run out of DEF. The newer trucks have built-in constant maintenance that purges the soot regularly.
 
I’m curious what the consensus is on doing a full delete on a new diesel. I’m on the fence. On one hand, it obviously voids the warranty, on the other, most of the problems associated with these trucks seem to stem from the emissions system cocking up otherwise reliable engines. I’m in CA but am not concerned about checks as I live in one of the two only carb exempt counties, and will never need a smog check. I also don’t plan on doing anything radical with a tune. This is would strictly be for engine longevity. I have a shop that will do it lined up. Should I wait until the factory warranty expires and put the truck through 3 years of use with all that garbage emissions crap on it, or just get it over with out the gate and hope nothing else crazy goes wrong with the power train right away?
delete it
 
Back
Top Bottom