Ticking noise at 10k

FLBroncoRanger73

Tremor Buff
Joined
Feb 16, 2025
Messages
69
Reaction Points
197
Location
Wellington, FL
Current Ride #1
2024 Ford F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
1973 Ford Bronco Ranger
My 2024 Ultimate Lariat (purchased in Feb of 25) was taken in for the Works service at 10k. The next day, I noticed a ticking sound at idle. I had never heard this before, even after having it serviced at 1k and 5k. I did some research on here and other forums and decided to take it straight back to the servicing dealer the next day. Long story short, The service manager said the issue was internal and they are replacing the engine with a new crate engine from Ford. And apparently those are on back order, so it’s a waiting game with my truck still at the dealer…

Any others with this or similar issues? I’m glad it’s under warranty and all but I’ve never had this issue with any other Ford truck or SUV I’ve owned!
 
Just had cylinder misfires on 3 cylinders that they aligned to the same TSB your dealer is likely referencing for the repair authorization. Dealer that is fixing my truck expects to have the new motor in 2 - 3 days. Not sure why I'm getting one so quickly if they're back ordered (but no complaints from me on that end). My truck is a 2023 with about 62,500 miles on it. Truck just turned 3 years old last week.

From the service tech:
VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN, FOUND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PRESENT. RAN SELF TEST, RETRIEVED DTC P0303, P0304, P0306 AND P0300. FOUND EXCESSIVE MISFIRE PRESENT. CHECKED FOR RELATED TSB/SSM, FOUND TSB 26-2256. REMOVE AND INSPECTED OIL FILTER, FOUND EXCESSIVE METAL AND DEBRIS PRESENT. AT THIS TIME WILL NEED TO REMOVE AND REPLACE ENGINE LONG BLOCK PER TSB, THEN RE-TEST.
FORD ESP APPROVED REPAIR.

From the TSB they referenced (attached):

Issue:
Some of the vehicles listed in the Model statement above may exhibit an upper engine ticking or tapping noise at idle. Customers may also report experiencing rough engine performance, engine misfire, or a MIL with DTCs P0301-P0308 in the PCM. This may be due to camshaft and/or valve tappet having excess wear within the engine assembly.
 

Attachments

If it is a diesel, it could be a couple of benign things. It could be an idle pilot injection event, it could be the thrust bearing sliding side to side with the reduced oil pressure at idle, or it could simply be the CP4 that you are hearing. All of those are annoying for sure but again benign. If you can post an audio clip of it that would help.

As for the noises, my 24 HO does it, my 21, 17 and 16 did as well. Ford has said all 6.7s do it. I don't know about that, but I do know some are more pronounced than others. My 24, the pilot injection event at idle can be fairly pronounced where the noise from my actual CP4 and thrust bearing are not at all. My BIL's 26 F450 HO has a very subdued pilot injection noise but seems to be a bit more noticeable on the thrust bearing. All of these, for me, are inaudible if the engine is at 675 RPM or higher.
 
Back
Top Bottom