Talons Garage - Who are we, what do we do, and where do we want to go!

Got mine on today. Damn that was a chore. Glad my sister was here her small hands came in very handy.
Yah it is some work, isn’t it? 🤣 But well worth it for the security and protection. Really glad Talons garage put this together for us SD folks.

Anybody had issues with just the plate vibration? At stop lights I get a bad rattle. I was able to get under it and look if it was touching anywhere and it isn't. The rattle is just the vibration of the plate. I ordered some spray on vibration deadening and I'll put that on this weekend. Any other thoughts if this doesn't kill it?

First I’ve heard of a vibration noise from anyone. if it’s reproducible enough, can you have someone listen while it’s running while you have your foot on the brake? My first guess would be a bolt that might have worked loose, maybe on one of the wings. I know some are a pain to get to, but have you had a chance to check that all of the bolts are still torqued down?

Anybody had issues with just the plate vibration? At stop lights I get a bad rattle. I was able to get under it and look if it was touching anywhere and it isn't. The rattle is just the vibration of the plate. I ordered some spray on vibration deadening and I'll put that on this weekend. Any other thoughts if this doesn't kill it?
Only issues I have heard about is if the driver side rear shield touching the cat.

How long ago was your order?

Order was in June. All bolts are tight and no touching on either cat.

First I’ve heard of a vibration noise from anyone. if it’s reproducible enough, can you have someone listen while it’s running while you have your foot on the brake? My first guess would be a bolt that might have worked loose, maybe on one of the wings. I know some are a pain to get to, but have you had a chance to check that all of the bolts are still torqued down?
Been under it a few times and if I hit the plate with my fist in certain places it will rattle. I can see all around under the plate and the wings and none are touching. If I just hold the edge of the plate with finger and thumb with no up or down pressure it is quiet. It really seems like a harmonic at a warm idle. I originally had a cold rattle and was able to adjust the front passenger wing so it didn't touch the frame.

If this doesn't fix it I might get rubber bushings to add between the nuts and bolts to the plate.

I've got a pretty bad rattle at idle on mine. Haven't gone under to mess with/diagnose it but I expected to have a rattle since mine was the first one made.

New Carfax report out says there were 153,000 catalytic converters thefts in 2022, up something like 1,200% since 2019. Guess which vehicle was the top of the list for thefts? Yup. Here’s a link if you want the article.

just a reminder for newer folks to take some measures to protect your catalytic converters…😎

Been under it a few times and if I hit the plate with my fist in certain places it will rattle. I can see all around under the plate and the wings and none are touching. If I just hold the edge of the plate with finger and thumb with no up or down pressure it is quiet. It really seems like a harmonic at a warm idle. I originally had a cold rattle and was able to adjust the front passenger wing so it didn't touch the frame.

If this doesn't fix it I might get rubber bushings to add between the nuts and bolts to the plate.
Can you hear it inside the truck? I know the most common issue was the driver side rear cat would sometimes touch at the very front corner, but we made a few changes that fixed this.

I've got a pretty bad rattle at idle on mine. Haven't gone under to mess with/diagnose it but I expected to have a rattle since mine was the first one made.

Please let me know if you find something. I def don’t want these plates rattling!

Can you hear it inside the truck? I know the most common issue was the driver side rear cat would sometimes touch at the very front corner, but we made a few changes that fixed this.

Please let me know if you find something. I def don’t want these plates rattling!
Definitely can hear it in side. Could even feel it. Found part of it today. The rear of the back flap on driver's side was touching the cat guard after it had warmed up. When cold they don't touch but the cat guard warps a little when hot and the torque of the engine allows the exhaust to move some. In park there is no rattle it's only when in gear at a stop.

The spray vibration damper did help some on the harmonics though, if I hit it with my fist it doesn't vibrate as much and without a sound now.

It looks like the only real issues on the forum for the 7.3 plate might be some rattles for at least earlier versions, some complexity with changing the oil filter, and some special tools to get some of the bolts in. Some questions: 1) Is the rattle caused by rubbing on the converter cover or just harmonics due to the flex of the plate? I'm pretty deaf, so it wouldn't be heard by me, but my wife can hear everything. 2) Is the issue with the oil filter just getting it out without making a mess? I'm not too concerned about making a mess. Or is there some complexity in getting the strap around the filter? 3) I don't have any really fancy wrench extensions, swivels, and what not, but is there one in particular I'd need to do the installation? Boteh reputable tool shops with specialty tools are a fairly long drive, so I'd like to have that in my kit before I start.

It looks like the only real issues on the forum for the 7.3 plate might be some rattles for at least earlier versions, some complexity with changing the oil filter, and some special tools to get some of the bolts in. Some questions: 1) Is the rattle caused by rubbing on the converter cover or just harmonics due to the flex of the plate? I'm pretty deaf, so it wouldn't be heard by me, but my wife can hear everything. 2) Is the issue with the oil filter just getting it out without making a mess? I'm not too concerned about making a mess. Or is there some complexity in getting the strap around the filter? 3) I don't have any really fancy wrench extensions, swivels, and what not, but is there one in particular I'd need to do the installation? Boteh reputable tool shops with specialty tools are a fairly long drive, so I'd like to have that in my kit before I start.
Haven't done an oil change with the plate on yet. Best advice I can give is get a Fumoto valve or something similar and as for the filter you can try using a ziplock bag around it when you take it off you can get to it from the wheel well.. I haven't tried that before so I'm not sure how well it works.

Special tools I'd recommend small hands. There are some tight spots to try and hold the nuts.

Haven't done an oil change with the plate on yet. Best advice I can give is get a Fumoto valve or something similar and as for the filter you can try using a ziplock bag around it when you take it off you can get to it from the wheel well.. I haven't tried that before so I'm not sure how well it works.

Special tools I'd recommend small hands. There are some tight spots to try and hold the nuts.
Don't have the Talon's Garage skid plate but I do have the PDM one and can give a massive +1 to @jpeckinp on both fronts. Some kind of drain valve with a hose (I went with the Stahlbus personally, link to thread on that below) and the ziplock bag works a treat for the oil filter.

1) The rattle is caused by drivers side rear cat making contact with the wing of the plate that guards it. I discovered the problem before installation, and cut a small piece of the wing off to avoid the issue. 2) Yes, the only problem with getting the filter out is the mess. An Oil Udder will not work, try the plastic bag suggestion given above. I just stuff rags underneath and clean up afterwards. I don’t use a strap to undo or tighten the oil filter - I tighten firmly by hand and have had no issues with it. I think with a little effort you could get a strap in and on it if you really wanted to. As long as it’s not too bulky. I would also invest in a specialty drain tube like the Stahlbus drain that @ccw suggested. Otherwise you’re in for a heck of a mess trying to drain the oil initially. 3) you don’t need specialty tools to install this. My recollection is all Allen head bolts and standard socket sized nuts to deal with. You would probably need one or two extensions and one of the swivel adapters to make things easier. Talons can advise if I missed any needed tools.

if you lay the whole thing out on the floor and visualize what goes where and what parts attach to what, it will make things easier. It will be very difficult to install all of the wings and then put it into place as the curve of the wings will not allow you to lift it into place if all wings are on and tightened. my recollection is I attached two or three of the wings LOOSELY while on the ground, lifted it into place, bolted it up, then tightened the pre-attached wings and then added the last one or two. You will either need help lifting it into place, or do like I did and use a floor jack to boost it up and hold it whilst you secure it up.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll probably order one soon. I've actually met the top executives for the larger metal scrap companies in the Midwest. I asked them if their reputable company takes Catalytic converters and they admitted that they LOVE collecting catalytic converters as they make so much money. They chop up 10,000 catalytic converters per month. That is one reason I can't even park my truck in most locations.

Definitely can hear it in side. Could even feel it. Found part of it today. The rear of the back flap on driver's side was touching the cat guard after it had warmed up. When cold they don't touch but the cat guard warps a little when hot and the torque of the engine allows the exhaust to move some. In park there is no rattle it's only when in gear at a stop.

The spray vibration damper did help some on the harmonics though, if I hit it with my fist it doesn't vibrate as much and without a sound now.

Is your rear shield installed on the inside or the outside of the plate? If it’s on the inside it may need to be moved in the outside.

When did you order this? I made a few minor changes on the rear shield a long time ago to help fix any contact with the converter, so I am trying to see where you fall on those changes. If I need to I can send you an updated rear shield.

Another solution may be to loosen the rear mount bolts on the frame and shift the whole plate to the driver side. This might just you just enough clearance to solve the issues.

As far as complexity getting the shield pieces together…. I have considered making all the accessory pieces bolt on using riv nuts.

The big con to this is it would make it easy for the thieves to unbolt those pieces to get to the cats.

The huge pro is you would no longer need to try to snake lock nuts to the back side of the shield.

I would suggest the change in bolts if it was extremely difficult to install, but a little bit of effort in my mind makes it harder for a thief to try and remove it. If it ain't broke....

Is your rear shield installed on the inside or the outside of the plate? If it’s on the inside it may need to be moved in the outside.

When did you order this? I made a few minor changes on the rear shield a long time ago to help fix any contact with the converter, so I am trying to see where you fall on those changes. If I need to I can send you an updated rear shield.

Another solution may be to loosen the rear mount bolts on the frame and shift the whole plate to the driver side. This might just you just enough clearance to solve the issues.
It's on the outside. I believe I ordered early June. I don't think I need a new wing. If it gets to that point I'll just Dremel off part of the wing.

Back