Garage Lighting

scootr2200

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Good morning!

I'm looking to replace the antiquated 4' T8 flourescent lighting fixtures in my garage (30'x24' with 9' walls and exposed roof trusses.) There is an overwhelming amount of options returned in a Google search and thought I would ask if anybody had any recommendations here.

Currently there are six fixtures to replace and likely will replace another six in the equipment shed next door. I prefer a warmer to nuetral white light rather than daylight or a higher kelvin rating. The garage is non-climate controlled so I would need a fixture rated for that as well. I also think I would prefer a surface mount fixture rather than a chain mount. And finally, a linkable fixutre would be nice but not a deal breaker.

I sincerely appreciate any input and recommendations!

Mickey

I used 4’ LED’s from Costco think Feit makes them, not effected by the cold light right up when it’s cold out. Shop is 26’x40’ with 10’ ceiling. I used 8 fixtures and have lots or light.

I went from three 8' T8 fixtures to seven 4' LED fixtures, and the difference was unbelievable. I was worried about the "bright" light factor as well, but all I can say is don't be. I think I might have gone with a home depot product, but it easily could have been a costco fixture. It was 5 or 7 years ago. I do a lot of woodworking in there, so I was looking for a comfortable brightness. I expected to experiment a little, so I wasn't worried about if it was permanent; I expected a bit of a throw-away factor until I got what I wanted. The first layout exceeded the mark, and I haven't touched it since. It was night and day difference, and I haven't had one fail yet.

I used 4’ LED’s from Costco think Feit makes them, not effected by the cold light right up when it’s cold out. Shop is 26’x40’ with 10’ ceiling. I used 8 fixtures and have lots or light.
I went with these as well... I have four in my 20x18 storage area and it lights it up just fine. They are linkable and work fine even in Sub-Zero temps (this area is not heated).

I hard wired 18 4' dual bulb LED fixtures in my 1040sqft garage split on two different switches. I picked up the fixtures and bulbs separately based on some recommendations on the Garage Journal Forums. There is a ton of information over there, but you can really get into the weeds with it if you really want to. I want to say I paid like $11-12 a fixture back in 2016 plus the price of the bulbs, so it was a very reasonable install.

Looking back on the Garage Journal forum under the lighting section, 1st sticky post page one gives recommendation for both fixtures and bulbs. Pretty sure these are the ones I went with: Maxlite LSS2XT8USE4803

Last edited:
Good morning!

I'm looking to replace the antiquated 4' T8 flourescent lighting fixtures in my garage (30'x24' with 9' walls and exposed roof trusses.) There is an overwhelming amount of options returned in a Google search and thought I would ask if anybody had any recommendations here.

Currently there are six fixtures to replace and likely will replace another six in the equipment shed next door. I prefer a warmer to nuetral white light rather than daylight or a higher kelvin rating. The garage is non-climate controlled so I would need a fixture rated for that as well. I also think I would prefer a surface mount fixture rather than a chain mount. And finally, a linkable fixutre would be nice but not a deal breaker.

I sincerely appreciate any input and recommendations!

Mickey

I was searching for a very similar setup a few years back. Lots of options out there.

I ended up going with a brand off of Amazon. The company is Barrira.
Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Fixt...=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

My garage is approx. 20'x20' and it's unheated in the winter. I also used them in an unheated shed (4 x 4') as well. They are not affected by temperature and turn on instantly with no flickering or anything.

In my garage I have 2 x 8' that turn on for day to day and then I have a 2nd switch that turns on another 5 x 8' when I want to work on something. Let's just say I almost don't need a worklight when I'm under the vehicle.

20240425_092342.jpg

20240425_092359.jpg

They've been ultra reliable as I've had them for 5 ish years now. I did have 2 or 3 that started to burn out partially at the beginning, but the company sent out a new pack at no charge. I think I still have 3 or 4 extras in the shed. I went with the 5000K and I'm very pleased with the color of the light.
20240425_092510.jpg

The only draw back for me is where they are made. That may or may not bother you.
They can be hard wired, wired with a switch, connected together, wall mounted or hung. All hardware came with the kit.

Good luck with your choice!

Figure out what color temperature you like and start there. I like the very high color temperature (very blue). Often referred to as "daylight", but don't go by that alone. Look at the number. Then get the highest Color Rendering Index that you can get.

I have bought maybe 5 sets of these:

The last one was over three years ago and they are all still working perfectly.

Similar to MNHunter, I ended up going with (19) Twin 4' LED Bulb fixtures on two different circuits, and am currently sitting around 100FL. Its bright enough for detail work without needing additional lighting. I wouldn't do anything different.

PXL_20221203_233537235.jpg
PXL_20221203_232228744.jpg
PXL_20221203_232206769.jpg

you can get LED T8 style bulbs. Make sure you get the ones designed to run direct without ballast. Simply snip your ballast out, connect the wires in the fixture together, and then insert the LED bulbs. Home depot here sells Philips brand ones that are color selectable too. Easy and quick upgrade.

My barn is similar in size to your garage. I needed a cheap fix because when we moved here last year there was zero lifting. I added these from Amazon and have been pleased.

IMG_0753.jpeg

Is like to do a better job one day but for now there is plenty of lighting in there. I’m considering buying more for my bigger barn.

Just converted over 4 8’ fluorescent fixtures to LED’s in my garage which is approx 24x26. Bought the bulbs from Light Bulb Depot at approx $25 each. While not cheap, they will last approx 40,000 hrs vs less then 10k for the florescent. Had my choice of temperature and went somewhere around 3.5 - 4K. I cut the ballast out and chucked them. Be sure you recognize that the LED tubes have a Hot and a neutral side and you rewire the fixture and insert the tubes correctly to match! Mine were single pins. I’ll be moving before they ever need to be replaced again.

I changed out my 8' T-8's with 8' LED bulbs from Amazon. They required the ballast to be cut out but not a big deal. Plenty of light in a 40x40 garage with 10 dual bulb fixtures...

I see these honeycomb lights on a bunch of YouTube and instagram channels. They look so cool!

I see these honeycomb lights on a bunch of YouTube and instagram channels. They look so cool!

Yeah those are dope. I’d love to have a finished interior on one of my barns. Makes such a difference with looks and lighting

This is my plan for my garage lighting. AWESOME choice!!

Back