Talk to me about DEF and Maintenance

I will say the 2020 6.7l drinks more DEF fluid than my 2015 6.7l did. I used to go about 8-9000 miles with my '15 (5 Gallon DEF tank), my Tremor went through the entire tank in under 5,000 miles and the DEF tank is also bigger at 7.4 gallons.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in DEF consumption depending on where they get their fuel? I haven't done a quantitative analysis but I'd say I use up to 25% less based on whose pumps I fuel up at. Esso and Shell up here in Soviet Canuckistan seem to be the best.
I did read somewhere that if the DEF is getting old or the quality has gone down for some reason that the truck will use it quicker.
It makes sense to stick the the places that are dealing DEF that seems to last longer..

I will say the 2020 6.7l drinks more DEF fluid than my 2015 6.7l did. I used to go about 8-9000 miles with my '15 (5 Gallon DEF tank), my Tremor went through the entire tank in under 5,000 miles and the DEF tank is also bigger at 7.4 gallons.
I saw a youtube with a guy saying the new models are using more DEF. Makes sense. The engine has a higher output so creates more exhaust and uses more DEF.

I read somewhere else people saying DEF you buy in the boxes from AutoZone or the gas station or whatever goes stale. It's best to get it from the pump at truck stops.
I read on this site in another thread that one should always use boxes due to the risk of contamination from the nozzles at pumps. I don’t know what to believe!

I put 75k miles on my 17 F250. Two to fout times a year the DEF gauge would get to 1/4 and I would buy two cube boxes of it from O’Riellys or Autozone And the gauge would read almost full. I assume my 21 will be about the same. Never used it from a pump as there are none around me.

I have 14k miles in my truck and have refilled the DEF 3 times. I’m towing a lot and driving at altitude and it seems to suck town a lot if this crap. I agree truck stops way better than the stupid boxes.

This will be my first diesel vehicle with DEF, so I need was wondering the same thing.

Is there any advantage to topping it off if you are not planning a long trip?

We are planning a three week trip around the country this summer, so I may need to fill it up when on the road. Do most people carry it with them or buy more on the road and then, carry the remaining back home?
Yes always top off! if the gauge is inaccurate or if you run low and can't find any you will be in limp mode and anything limp sucks!

Filled her up last night at the truck stop nearby. Pretty simple to just pump it in.

How much DEF will my truck come with? Is it up to the Ford dealer to fill it? I assume Ford doesn’t fill it.

This will be my first diesel vehicle with DEF, so I need was wondering the same thing.

Is there any advantage to topping it off if you are not planning a long trip?

We are planning a three week trip around the country this summer, so I may need to fill it up when on the road. Do most people carry it with them or buy more on the road and then, carry the remaining back home?
Hey there, if you are towing and going on a long trip I would definitely carry extra with you. The more mountains you climb etc the faster the def is used up.

Hey there, if you are towing and going on a long trip I would definitely carry extra with you. The more mountains you climb etc the faster the def is used up.

I am going to "try" to buy it at the truck stops along the way. I will keep a close eye on it and fill it long before it runs out if I see DEF available while buying diesel.

I changed the top right gauge from boost to DEF to monitor easier. I’m more concerned about the DPF, because that’s harder to monitor and I don’t want a forced high-idle to be interrupted or at a bad time.

You know what's the best way not to worry with DEF? Get the 7.3! haha... all jokes aside, and the joys of a big block gasoline engine that requires little to no maintenance, and merely requires a 10k $60 buck oil change, is this-- my buddy with a cummins has gotten into some trouble with overfilling his DEF, and switching brands. I'd stay consistent (jug or gas station), and don't let the jug sit out too long, or it'll crystalize.

Okay I am just over 5k miles. DEF is getting low and time to fill it up. What is the best way to do this and how much do I need? Do I just go to Walmart and buy a big jug and fill er up?

Also starting to think about maintenance. Is everyone just waiting until their light comes on and then taking it to the shop/dealer?
I keep track of where all the truck stops are and top off whenever I'm near one. I try to avoid the boxes.

Back