BroncoHooves

Tremor Development
Founding Member
Tremor R&D 🧰
Reaction Points
Military
USAF
Been looking at 17" rims lately.

• Current setup: 315/70R18 Yokohama Geolandar G003 M/T tires on stock Tremor rims
• Planned setup: 37x12.50R17 Toyo ATIII on American Racing Baja rims

Eventually want a Carli commuter or E-Venture 4.5" lift system, but everytime I see people go from 18" to 17" rims with bigger tires, it's in conjunction with the Carli install, and I'm wanting to do rims/tires before the Carli install to see what the improvement is like.

I'd like to know how much ride quality improved for you all who made the switch from a tire with less meat for one that has exponentially more sidewall meat/section width on stock ride height/suspension.

Pic of rim 🤩

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

• Current setup: 315/70R18 Yokohama Geolandar G003 M/T tires on stock Tremor rims

Eventually want a Carli commuter or E-Venture 4.5" lift system, but everytime I see people go from 18" to 17" rims with bigger tires, it's in conjunction with the Carli install, and I'm wanting to do rims/tires before the Carli install to see what the improvement is like.

I'd like to know how much ride quality improved for you all who made the switch from a tire with less meat for one that has exponentially more sidewall meat/section width on stock ride height/suspension.

Pic of rim 🤩

s-l1600.jpg
I think a lot of it is down to tire selection as opposed to ride quality (we’re talking .5” more sidewall between the two). There’s lots more options for 37x12.5 in the 17” rim size. Toyo makes an AT3 in both so not really factor if that’s the tire you want to run. Although for whatever reason the 18” version is only Q rated (99mph) and the 17” version has an S rating (112MPH) no idea why as the tires are identical otherwise as far as ply count, load index etc). My only issue is that most 17” wheels for our trucks are only offered in 0mm offset or lower (for example those AR Bajas are -12mm). I only know of one offering that is offered with +18 in a 17” wheel (Method 704HD) I have zero offset method 304’s on my truck. I love my setup, but it has a little more tire poke than I care for. If could do it all over I’d probably go with 18” wheels as there are a ton of 18” offerings with +18mm offset. That would probably closer to where you are currently with the spacers you are running on your current setup. So you’d have to decide whether that’s the look you want.

My truck (non-Tremor) doesn’t have flares so 0 offset might look ok a Tremor, but personally I think -12 won’t look very good at all (tremor or otherwise) especially on a 12.5” wide tire, maybe would look ok on a 13.5” wide tire but your gonna be flinging shit all up the side of truck either way.

Pic of rim 🤩

s-l1600.jpg
Regardless of what people say, you’re not going to see a benefit in ride quality between the setups you are discussing. Now, if you were going from a 22” wheel to a 17”, that’s a different story

I only know of one offering that is offered with +18 in a 17” wheel (Method 704HD)

I did the research on this a while back. There’s KMC which has a few wheels in 17x9 +18, mesa is one that comes to mind quickly and there was one more in all black i can’t recall the manufacturer now. I too was quite disappointed in so few +18 offerings in 17x9. There’s not a single wheel i know that’s 17x8.5 +18. I personally am not even a fan of +18 offset as on the 22 it poked more than i wanted it to and without the fender flares on 23 it’s even worse. That’s why i’m on 2 sets of +40 stock wheels now, but hey, to each they own.

I think a lot of it is down to tire selection as opposed to ride quality (we’re talking .5” more sidewall between the two). There’s lots more options for 37x12.5 in the 17” rim size. Toyo makes an AT3 in both so not really factor if that’s the tire you want to run. Although for whatever reason the 18” version is only Q rated (99mph) and the 17” version has an S rating (112MPH) no idea why as the tires are identical otherwise as far as ply count, load index etc). My only issue is that most 17” wheels for our trucks are only offered in 0mm offset or lower (for example those AR Bajas are -12mm). I only know of one offering that is offered with +18 in a 17” wheel (Method 704HD) I have zero offset method 304’s on my truck. I love my setup, but it has a little more tire poke than I care for. If could do it all over I’d probably go with 18” wheels as there are a ton of 18” offerings with +18mm offset. That would probably closer to where you are currently with the spacers you are running on your current setup. So you’d have to decide whether that’s the look you want.

My truck (non-Tremor) doesn’t have flares so 0 offset might look ok a Tremor, but personally I think -12 won’t look very good at all (tremor or otherwise) especially on a 12.5” wide tire, maybe would look ok on a 13.5” wide tire but your gonna be flinging shit all up the side of truck either way.
The Baja rim I found that I like has a 0 offset actually!

@BroncoHooves the ride will feel softer with more meat on any bumps. At right psi you will feel the difference between your true 35s and your 37s on 17s. I can immediately tell the difference on 37s/18 vs 35/18s, but it has to be down to 40/45 psi on road to be felt.

Toyo at3 is not the softest tire out there. I can tell you that now as i’m running them at 40/45 psi and they are not falken wilpeak at3ws in terms of a softer ride. I can feel them in my steering wheel feedback at speed, not so with geolander ats or falkens. The reason is their stiffer compound. They have less tread depth and are harder compound, and i can feel it. But they are lighter and better in terms of steering response and handling. Each tire has some plus and minuses, so far i haven't been able to find a perfect one. The stiffest was ridge grappler, it’s compound was so hard that even at 35 psi it was still stiff.

@BroncoHooves the ride will feel softer with more meat on any bumps. At right psi you will feel the difference between your true 35s and your 37s on 17s. I can immediately tell the difference on 37s/18 vs 35/18s, but it has to be down to 40/45 psi on road to be felt.

Toyo at3 is not the softest tire out there. I can tell you that now as i’m running them at 40/45 psi and they are not falken wilpeak at3ws in terms of a softer ride. I can feel them in my steering wheel feedback at speed, not so with geolander ats or falkens. The reason is their stiffer compound. They have less tread depth and are harder compound, and i can feel it. But they are lighter and better in terms of steering response and handling. Each tire has some plus and minuses, so far i haven't been able to find a perfect one. The stiffest was ridge grappler, it’s compound was so hard that even at 35 psi it was still stiff.
It's a tough decision between AT4W Wildpeak and ATIII Toyo (For 37x12.50R17). However, Toyo is lighter and is also rated for more speed, so seems to be higher quality (not that speed matters here for the Super Duty being governed to 96mph).

Last edited:
It's a tough decision between AT4W Wildpeak and ATIII Toyo (For 37x12.50R17). However, Toyo is lighter and is also rated for more speed, so seems to be higher quality (not that speed matters here for the Super Duty being governed to 96mph).

My recommendation, read this guy. Read all of his Toyo AT3 vs. other ATx reviews. In each you will still find something slightly different about the tire characteristics as it compares with others. So far everything he said lines up with my own experience with duratracs/nitto ridge grapplers/falkens/geolander 015s/toyo at3s has been spot on, so i tend to trust him. Even a few odd things i was feeling with geolanders but couldn’t quite put into words he described perfectly.

My recommendation, read this guy. Read all of his Toyo AT3 vs. other ATx reviews. In each you will still find something slightly different about the tire characteristics as it compares with others. So far everything he said lines up with my own experience with duratracs/nitto ridge grapplers/falkens/geolander 015s/toyo at3s has been spot on, so i tend to trust him. Even a few odd things i was feeling with geolanders but couldn’t quite put into words he described perfectly.

That seals the deal based on the info in those links you provided! AT3W seems to be what I want.

That seals the deal based on the info in those links you provided! AT3W seems to be what I want.

He makes an interesting argument for at3w even when compared against at4w, point by point i would probably chose at3w for my particular uses. Again, i loved that tire, just somehow wished it was a little bit lighter was my only gripe with it.

I had the Falken AT3W on my prior F-150 and I can attest that it's a fantastic tire. For what I used that truck for, it performed very well and tread life was outstanding. Particularly when compared to the Duracrap that comes on the Tremor. That said, I'm not sure it's the right tire for me on my Tremor. I don't really like the look of it on the truck. I've seen a few locally with that tire and IMO, the look takes away from the meat of the truck. JMHO, but I can't say anything negative about the performance in my old truck.

Just make sure you buy the AT3W's from a local shop. I purchased my first set from Simple Tire and had them road force balance on the Method wheels. All but one of the tires had high spots. So I order the second set from a local tire shop and ended up with three good tires out of the eight I ordered. I sold a set of four on FB marketplace with less than 5K miles for a huge loss.

The Toyo RT Trails I have installed now are great tires but they are 37X13.5X20 on 0 offset wheels which pokes out more than I like and I lost the small bump compliance I had with the 18's.

I ordered a whole new combo of Fuel Blitz 18x9 +20mm with Toyo At3's. I don't have them installed yet but I'm hoping they work out for me.

I purchased my first set from Simple Tire and had them road force balance on the Method wheels. All but one of the tires had high spots

Is that not a warranty issue? You couldn’t replace via Simpletire vs buying another set yourself?

I too road forced balanced my at3ws and now at3s from the get go and the shop didn't mention any issues with the tires when i asked after balancing them.

From my personal experience, my toyo at3s are stiffer than were my falken at3w, but they handle better.

I put about 1,000 miles on a set of AT3w 37/12.5R17 and ended up taking them off. Went back to my factory rim with factory size 285/75R18 Yokohama AT XD (not the X-AT). The 37"s, in my opinion, weren't great. The ride didn't change much, if at all. In fact I think it was a bit firmer (was running 45psi) but I noticed a pretty significant flex in the side walls when towing/stopping and overall just some drive characteristics I didn't like. Let me be clear, the AT3w seemed like a great tire. They were quite and had plenty of traction. I just don't think the size is what I want on my truck.

I've got about 200 miles on the Yokohamas and, other than being slightly noisier, I think they handle/perform much better. Just got back from taking my 30' enclosed trailer to town for some errands and am very happy compared to the 37s while towing.

I realize I ran the Falkens and you asked about the Toyos. I mention the above more about the size than I do the brand.

I could have but I'm lazy :) I chalked it up to being bad timing. The tire market was just catching up after the COVID drained everything. Even though I sold the worst four tires, I still have that setup with the Method's in my storage container for use if needed. They were damn sure quite and an impressively aggressive looking tire for an AT.

Back