Relocating center stack camera button

BroncoHooves

Tremor Development
Founding Member
Tremor R&D 🧰
Reaction Points
Military
USAF
Since I have the center stack area torn apart getting ready to do inverter wiring, figured I would tackle this little mod at the same time.

I will be relocating the camera button and put it next to the engine brake button, as those are the 2 most used buttons for me. :D Always disliked reaching across the screen to hit the camera button.

You have to pop the button caps off and then swap 2 pins from each of their respective harnesses.

0nehZpl.jpg

FYI, the pin number is '2' on each harness. Just swap pin 2 from the original camera button connector over to the traction control button connector pin 2 and vice versa.

To remove the pin from the connector, take the red retainer off first and then use a thin tool to lift the pin's retainer up gently while simultaneously pulling it out of the connector.

TAJDct3.png

u0hrWcd.png

Last edited:
Kind of hard to explain how to remove the button cap, but there's two places to insert a thin tool to release tabs that retain the button (bottom and rear sides; areas annotated in red).

On the rear of the button where the pins are, insert a thin tool biased towards where my fingers are in the photo, lifting the black 'arm' up (away from my fingers) off of a tab that is molded into the gray/green housing (engine brake switch housing is gray, camera switch housing is green). You kind of have to work at both areas simultaneously, otherwise the one side will click back together.

I took these photos just now, because I won't have a chance again once the center stack goes back together, and figured this could help someone out and save time.

F7j8seN.jpg

TyjP9Tl.jpg

Last edited:
How bad was it getting that center bezel off? Looks like a project I might tackle this weekend.

How bad was it getting that center bezel off? Looks like a project I might tackle this weekend.

Wasn't too bad, but one of the metal clips holding the bezel on fell somewhere below to where I'm going to have to unbolt the center console tomorrow to try and find it. Borescope camera and magnet tool couldn't see or find it. It may have went under the vinyl floor, or is somewhere on the transmission tunnel area.

If they would listen, I would definitely tell Ford to move that button to the steering wheel... and have the camera stay on a couple seconds after I put it in park, so I can see how far the truck rolls forward when I let off the brake..

This is funny.

I think every single little niggle I have had with my truck over a year of ownership has shown up on this forum with someone figuring a workaround.

I completely agree. I hate that camera button location, especially since the truck doesn't have front parking sensors.

Good job. This has been added to my list of projects.

Thanks for the write-up.

I completed the pin swap and tested it. Works 100%

Took longer than I expected just trying to find a de-pinning tool. I used a 25mm x 0.8mm x 0.5mm thick piece of spring steel scrap I had and sort of wiggled it while simultaneously pulling on the wire.

Also used a seam ripper tool to remove some of the fabric tape to expose enough length of wire so it could reach the now further away button.

End result is worth it in my book.

sgjRXqu.jpg

QUM2fXx.jpg

Disregard my previous question. Couldn’t remember my trucks configuration, but on 7.3 without exhaust brake it looks to be ac simple position swap with no repinning needed, although likely some insulation removal to create slack in wires.

Does the bezel around the screen just pop off or did you have to remove anything else first?

CA7B2C65-5EB5-42AA-BB15-CD72717FC14F.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: ccw
Disregard my previous question. Couldn’t remember my trucks configuration, but on 7.3 without exhaust brake it looks to be ac simple position swap with no repinning needed, although likely some insulation removal to create slack in wires.

Does the bezel around the screen just pop off or did you have to remove anything else first?

View attachment 62170
You need to remove the top speaker cover and tray first.

View attachment 62170
It may not be as simple as swapping the switch assemblies, as they are keyed in the plastic for their respective slot, so you will need to file some plastic in the bezel.

I had started with a button module swap which does require trimming some plastic tabs as mentioned above. Simple utility blade makes a quick go at that. Then I did a button swap as well in the post. Quite simply, it blew my mind the order the buttons came from the factory and I wanted them to be elsewhere. You left the hazards in the middle, but of all the buttons that is the least likely for me to ever press which is why I did both the button and the module swap. BTW, probably my favorite mod I have done.

Just fyi.. this is the best video I have come across showing the center bezel removal on a 22.

Back