Plug and Play Backup Lighting

Do you mean auxiliary + Power?
Yes, to get an auxiliary power source in the back. With the F150 having all the rear bed power options, it would be nice if that would have carried over to the 250 sooner than the new 2023. I'd like to add aux/USB in the rear for charging camping gear.

I
Yes, to get an auxiliary power source in the back. With the F150 having all the rear bed power options, it would be nice if that would have carried over to the 250 sooner than the new 2023. I'd like to add aux/USB in the rear for charging camping gear.
I plan on doing the same- but with a dedicated fused power wire leading from the battery to the bed. As is, the positive power lead in my 7-pin is enough to trickle charge my camper battery. I wouldn’t want to put a large load on it. I would run 12 gauge or bigger wire from the front with a 30A fuse. Easy.

I believe my LED backup lights work because they draw 50watts, max. Less than 5 amps.

I'm in the process of making one of these now. I went with the Curt model #56584. There are no black wires but 2 white wires instead on the Curt. I'll try and take some photos. This is a great idea by the way!!
I had to sit with my multimeter and the power diagram on the 7-pin cover for a while to make sure of which wires were which. I figured I would let the magic smoke out at some point during the project but so far so good.

Has anyone looked at this guy? Diode Dynamics part DD7362 https://www.google.com/search?q=diode+dynamics+DD7362

Looks to do the same thing, what I am unsure is I'd the F150 and Super Duty plug is the same? DD was unable to confirm if it would work.
At $40 it is a lot easier to swallow compared to the Limitless auto unit.

I am on extreme light duty right now from surgery or I would just check the truck myself and compare.

Has anyone looked at this guy? Diode Dynamics part DD7362 https://www.google.com/search?q=diode+dynamics+DD7362

Looks to do the same thing, what I am unsure is I'd the F150 and Super Duty plug is the same? DD was unable to confirm if it would work.

I am on extreme light duty right now from surgery or I would just check the truck myself and compare.
It’s probably a different plug with the SDs have a bit more wiring going to the back end than the 150s have.

Not that exact one, but DD does offer a 7-pin adapter nearly identical to what I posted, except it also supports their lights that can have turn signals, reverse lights, and running lights. The harness is 40 bucks and the cost of the lights was something like $260. I’m cheap so I made my own setup for $110 all-in.

So I'm wondering if any harm can be done if you also run a lead to one of the always on upfitters as well so you can have this work when in reverse or just want to use it as a utility light as well.

Awesome upgrade and great post with pics and explanation! I really like the use of the shrink wrapped hose clamps too! Makes for a first class installation!👍

So I'm wondering if any harm can be done if you also run a lead to one of the always on upfitters as well so you can have this work when in reverse or just want to use it as a utility light as well.
Wired this particular way, the lights only get 12v when the truck is put in reverse. So even if you put in a relay to try to control via an upfitter switch, you’ll still only get power to the lights when in reverse.

You could wire it into the constant hot 12v lead and have it so you can manually turn them on via an upfitter through a relay. But you would lose the on-in-reverse feature.

You could wire it into the constant hot 12v lead and have it so you can manually turn them on via an upfitter through a relay. But you would lose the on-in-reverse feature.
you should be able to wire it up so both would work, the backup lights would come on also using 1 relay. Using 2 relays would work but you’d need a constant power ran to the rear for the relays.

I just tried this same setup with the same lights but I get nothing, no power to lights. Maybe I have a bad 7-5 pin adapter or issue in original 7 pin. Factory reverse lights come on but no on the Harbor Freight lights.🤯

I just tried this same setup with the same lights but I get nothing, no power to lights. Maybe I have a bad 7-5 pin adapter or issue in original 7 pin. Factory reverse lights come on but no on the Harbor Freight lights.🤯
I’d unplug the new harness and check each of the pins with a multimeter to confirm the OE harness is connected and working right. Then go through and make sure each connector is going where you want it to. Gotta be connection issue, probably in the new 7-5 pin harness.

You only used 2 of the wires from the 7-5 harness, right? Center wire and the negative wire.

Attachments

• C52C5EEC-4A61-4DD2-A126-BF85B84B76E9.jpeg
    C52C5EEC-4A61-4DD2-A126-BF85B84B76E9.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 20
Also, I just thought about it. Are you absolutely sure you have the polarity correct? Hot wire to hot and ground to ground? From what I understand, you can’t reverse polarity on these LED lights.

I just checked continuity from end to end on the new adapter and all is good there, I will check for power on center pin from truck and ground with truck in reverse and parking brake on to be sure that is working (yea I know-when working by yourself you have to think outside the box). Actually just prior to checking this I will run power and ground from battery straight to the lights to be sure they do work.....

BlueyDuty : I checked the lights via direct to the battery and they work. I removed the adaptor and checked the factory 7 pin and I get no power between Ground and center pin on either the goosneck in bed connector nor the bumper connector? Odd, I guess I need to check fuses next. I tested via putting the emergency brake on, acessary push start on, and placed gear selector in reverse. The factory reverse lights came on as normal but no power to the center pin and ground connections to show that the reverse lifgts would come on via either 7 pin connector. Anything I am missing??? I beleive I know how to check for power but this is stumping me.....​

Back