Placing my order today - any last minute thoughts?

SOOOOOO thankful for these forums. I def did not take the towing and payload into account since my current Chevy is the 1500 but has the 6.2 Corvette engine and has tow capacity of 10k. I just assumed that the F250 would be a lot more. Ok, I added the following and sent back to the dealer for a new quote:

1. Change to F350

2. Add 5th wheel tow package (from what I see online this will not interfere with me loading dirt bikes in the bed)

3. Heated wheel and wipers

4. Rapid Supplement Cab Heater

Thanks again to everyone. These forums are going to be the reason I get the RIGHT truck!

Based on previous threads, I was under the impression that the Tremor spec F250 6.7 and F350 6.7 units are the same in terms of payload and towing capacity. In this case, if the Tremor spec was essential, the only way to gain payload capacity would be to go with the lighter 7.3 engine option.

The F250/F350 appear to be identical for the same engine type from everything everyone has looked at, however, the GVWR differ.

F250 7.3 - GVWR 10000
F250 6.7 - GVWR 10800
F350 7.3 - GVWR 11300
F350 6.7 - GVWR 11500

SOOOOOO thankful for these forums. I def did not take the towing and payload into account since my current Chevy is the 1500 but has the 6.2 Corvette engine and has tow capacity of 10k. I just assumed that the F250 would be a lot more. Ok, I added the following and sent back to the dealer for a new quote:

1. Change to F350

2. Add 5th wheel tow package (from what I see online this will not interfere with me loading dirt bikes in the bed)

Thanks again to everyone. These forums are going to be the reason I get the RIGHT truck!

Just to note on this F350 discussion - some states will charge more for higher GVWR vehicle registrations - California is one of those states. So just make sure that's an annual cost you are comfortable with.

Edit: Indiana charges more, too, and I believe has similar requirements to pull over to weigh stations when towing, so this isn't some sort of communist plot to take over the USA, as much as some people want to believe it.

Last edited:
Based on previous threads, I was under the impression that the Tremor spec F250 6.7 and F350 6.7 units are the same in terms of payload and towing capacity. In this case, if the Tremor spec was essential, the only way to gain payload capacity would be to go with the lighter 7.3 engine option.

You would be under the WRONG impression.

They are certainly not the same in terms of legality.

They may share parts, but the payload sticker and GVWR will not be the same.!!

There is approx 1000 LBS difference in payload ratings for the 250 and 350.

My truck specs is a 350 and payload is 3958. On the 250 same spec it was 2840.

1. Change to F350

Most people assume a truck rated to tow 10,000 lbs can tow anything that weighs that amount or less.

That is not correct.

The big numbers are GVWR and PAYLOAD.

Tongue weight and cargo can easily push a sub 10,000 lb trailer over the legality of your truck if you arent aware or loading properly.

Most people assume a truck rated to tow 10,000 lbs can tow anything that weighs that amount or less.

That is not correct.

The big numbers are GVWR and PAYLOAD.

Tongue weight and cargo can easily push a sub 10,000 lb trailer over the legality of your truck if you arent aware or loading properly.

whoa whoa, you are taking that a little far.

its true that they overate 1/2 tons a lot. but tongue weight is tongue weight. 10% of a 15,000 is only 1,500 which is 1,200 left on a F250 which is plently.

and 18% for a 5er on 15,000 is still only 2700 lbs so while i would recommend a 350 in that case its is still doable in a F250. Anything over 15K you should go for a 350

When I was in sales so many people would Spec out the wrong truck. Ended up back and rebuying with negative equity to match the needs properly.

This may or not be an example of it, but as you said, unless this perfectly suits his needs and they have no chance of changing, get the 350!! Dont Cost yourself HUGE late to save a few thousand now!!

And Add 60W!!!
I am going from being a lifelong Chevy owner to ordering my first Ford today and I couldn't be more excited! Love these forums and trying to soak in everything I can. I wanted to share my preview order before I put down the deposit to see if any of you experts think I might be missing something.

I live in Southern California and do a lot of weekend camping trips to the desert and mountains where I bring my dirt bikes (WR450 and WR250 for the wife) and we also like to do some light to medium romping in the trucks.

I plan to get the Carli pintop 4.5 system, Toyo MT 37 or 38's and some 17 or 18-inch wheels (prob Method), and well as adding some lights and ARB or other on-board air.

I would also love to hear about no brainer performance upgrades for the diesel but I can ask about that in the other forums here too. Really appreciate everyone in here so much and it's been so helpful going through this process since I am new to Ford! Now I just have to replace a closet full of hats, t-shirst, and sweatshirts! hahaha

Heated wheel and wipers-

code 60W, $165. Crucial add!

Looks like all these folks don't read the fine print, you have the package in that list already

I believe the OP being a CA resident needs to consider both sides of the "legality fence". On one side he has the potential need for a different DL classification and possible increased costs of insurance, registration, and such, and the other side is possibly being over GVWR on the truck if he gets scaled towing something. All based on the door jamb sticker. 250 or 350, hes getting the same truck. So he needs to decide which legality issues he would prefer to deal with.

I believe the OP being a CA resident needs to consider both sides of the "legality fence". On one side he has the potential need for a different DL classification and possible increased costs of insurance, registration, and such, and the other side is possibly being over GVWR on the truck if he gets scaled towing something. All based on the door jamb sticker. 250 or 350, hes getting the same truck. So he needs to decide which legality issues he would prefer to deal with.
100% agree, commercial registration is not a fun thing if you don't need it.

I went with a 250 7.3 because of the price, (10k is a new motorcycle) but I would go with the same decision if the registration was going to be a hair across my ass.

whoa whoa, you are taking that a little far.

its true that they overate 1/2 tons a lot. but tongue weight is tongue weight. 10% of a 15,000 is only 1,500 which is 1,200 left on a F250 which is plently.

and 18% for a 5er on 15,000 is still only 2700 lbs so while i would recommend a 350 in that case its is still doable in a F250. Anything over 15K you should go for a 350

1200 pounds left after 1500 tongue weight is NOT alot. AND that 2700 is with a 7.3 NOT a 6.7.

Closer to 2400 6.7 250!

Add the family and a cooler and a few cases of beer and youre almost at your limit.

Why would you do that to save a few $ ??

1200 pounds left after 1500 tongue weight is NOT alot. AND that 2700 is with a 7.3 NOT a 6.7.

Closer to 2400 6.7 250!

Add the family and a cooler and a few cases of beer and youre almost at your limit.

Why would you do that to save a few $ ??
1,200 lbs is literally over capacity of the old raptor. its plenty and that also includes a full tank and a 150lb driver. you only have 5 seats and a 6 foot bed if everyone weighs 200 lbs you still have 350 lbs of gear, 70lbs each which breaks down to 10lbs of ice and 60 lbs of beer is 72 beers per person.

Edit: maybe one of those heavy yetis and you will be down to 48 beers per person in the truck. I'm sure you will run out of fuel before the last man finishes his stash.

You would be under the WRONG impression.

They are certainly not the same in terms of legality.

They may share parts, but the payload sticker and GVWR will not be the same.!!

There is approx 1000 LBS difference in payload ratings for the 250 and 350.

My truck specs is a 350 and payload is 3958. On the 250 same spec it was 2840.
If we're discussing legality differences between the two (in addition to the higher registration fees, insurance ,etc. that go along with the F350 option), then that's fine. But I don't believe the OP had requested guidance pertaining to legality differences when he was steered away from the F250 option. If, by all accounts, the performance capability is the same, then perhaps the 250 would be the better route in his state --unless he just really wants to pay $1k for a sticker, of course. :giggle:

Yeah, I think people kind of gloss over that or misunderstand. A Tremor F250 has the leaf springs from a regular F350. But that doesn’t mean that a Tremor F250 and a Tremor F350 are the same.

1,200 lbs is literally over capacity of the old raptor. its plenty and that also includes a full tank and a 150lb driver. you only have 5 seats and a 6 foot bed if everyone weighs 200 lbs you still have 350 lbs of gear, 70lbs each which breaks down to 10lbs of ice and 60 lbs of beer is 72 beers per person.

You may be the type to penny pinch and skimp on major life purchases to save a few bucks and deal with the headaches of having to even watch weight. Thats not me

Id pay the extra 2k to be done with it and not have to count pounds.

Shit hook up that TT and load the bed with rocks for all I care.

Ill Still be legal. Will you?

Yeah, I think people kind of gloss over that or misunderstand. A Tremor F250 has the leaf springs from a regular F350. But that doesn’t mean that a Tremor F250 and a Tremor F350 are the same.

From what data has been gathered here in this forum, they are almost certainly the same truck (for the same engine). The only difference people have found is the badges and the GVWR from the VIN. That GVWR is HUGE, though.

You may be the type to penny pinch and skimp on major life purchases to save a few bucks and deal with the headaches of having to even watch weight. Thats not me

Id pay the extra 2k to be done with it and not have to count pounds.

Shit hook up that TT and load the bed with rocks for all I care.

Ill Still be legal. Will you?
So now we are in a dick measuring contest? I wasn't being rude in any of my posts, we don't do that here.

So now we are in a dick measuring contest? I wasn't being rude in any of my posts, we don't do that here.
I wasnt being rude one bit.

Just saying I bought a truck that will handle everything I will throw at it.

Sounds like youre trying to downplay the imprtance of payload.

If you think when heading on a hunting or fishing trip, or ever using this truck for work, that its hard to load 1200 pounds in a truck??

Then youre delusional.

Why anyone would advocate buying the 250 to save a few bucks because we can cut it close in a 250, and make it work is just wrong.

All the 250 6.7’s I’ve seen has been over 2800. Mines 2880.

F350 is only 300lbs more payload...

Back