Placing my order today - any last minute thoughts?

ebackwardse1

Tremor Fan
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Ford Tremor
Current Ride #2
2018 Mercedes 450 GLS
I am going from being a lifelong Chevy owner to ordering my first Ford today and I couldn't be more excited! Love these forums and trying to soak in everything I can. I wanted to share my preview order before I put down the deposit to see if any of you experts think I might be missing something.

I live in Southern California and do a lot of weekend camping trips to the desert and mountains where I bring my dirt bikes (WR450 and WR250 for the wife) and we also like to do some light to medium romping in the trucks.

I plan to get the Carli pintop 4.5 system, Toyo MT 37 or 38's and some 17 or 18-inch wheels (prob Method), and well as adding some lights and ARB or other on-board air.

I would also love to hear about no brainer performance upgrades for the diesel but I can ask about that in the other forums here too. Really appreciate everyone in here so much and it's been so helpful going through this process since I am new to Ford! Now I just have to replace a closet full of hats, t-shirst, and sweatshirts! hahaha

Attachments

• Doc - Mar 23 2021 - 10-05 AM.jpg
    Doc - Mar 23 2021 - 10-05 AM.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 129
The only thing I see there is the 397 amp alternator charge, if this were my build for $250 you get the rapid supplement cab heater and that price includes the 397 amp alternator and the cab heater. I live in Phoenix area but regularly travel for winter sports. I also added the engine block heater for $100.

That build looks AWESOME! You're going to love it.

..... I just have to replace a closet full of hats, t-shirst, and sweatshirts! hahaha
Salvation Army loves donations, always see lots of Chevy/GM clothes being dropped at the curb outside, heck they don't even stop, just throwing them out the window as they drive by....just a suggestion....

I'll just say - the 6.7L F250 is a very limited machine payload-wise. I don't want to start a war, but it seems if you're set on the F250 GVWR, you should go 7.3L.

Or if you've weighed the pros and cons and you're willing to push past you legal payload limits.

What do you consider very limited? My similarly equipped F250 6.7 has a payload of 2825.

What do you consider limited? My F250 6.7 has a payload of 2825.

And that's good if that's what you wanted and expected. There are a lot of threads on this forum where someone asks what camper their F250 6.7 can tow, and then they unfortunately learn they don't have as much legal capacity as they were expecting.

As you didn't mention towing, I would also consider the 7.3L gas engine. That's $10k you get to set aside for all the fun extras you have planned. It'll still give you the freedom to add a small boat/camper/bike trailer if you need to in the future.

And that's good if that's what you wanted and expected. There are a lot of threads on this forum where someone asks what camper their F250 6.7 can tow, and then they unfortunately learn they don't have as much legal capacity as they were expecting.

I am towing a 26 ft 7000 lb camper with a 1150 TW and another 400-600 lbs in my bed, plus my wife and dog in the cab. After weighing my truck and trailer at the CAT scales last weekend, I still have 1300 lbs of GVWR and 14,800 lbs of GCWR to spare. :cool:

I am towing a 26 ft 7000 lb camper with a 1150 TW and another 400-600 lbs in my bed, plus my wife and dog in the cab. After weighing my truck and trailer at the CAT scales last weekend, I still have 1300 lbs of GVWR and 14,800 lbs of GCWR to spare. :cool:

And that's good - I'm thinking of folks that come here asking about towing a 16k 5er that has a dry pin weight of 2700.

I'm trying to say - if everything else is equal, the F250 6.7 will have the lowest payload capacity of the 4 options (F250 7.3/6.7, F350 7.3/6.7).

And that's fine if that's what you wanted - there have been lots of threads where people had no idea and have a tinge of regret.

And that's good - I'm thinking of folks that come here asking about towing a 16k 5er that has a dry pin weight of 2700.
Yes, I was following that thread! He should have chosen a different truck... :oops:

We have owned 5ers in the past and my wife promised me she did not want to go back. ;) If we do, I will be the one saying we can only buy the smaller, lighter ones due to the limitations of the Tremor package. However, I am pretty sure they make quite a few that will still fit into the reduced weight limitations.

He lives in Cali, I believe there are issues with going to a 350 with registration and DL maybe?

Maybe consider 5th wheel prep in case you ever decide to rent or buy something that's 5th wheel or gooseneck.

Absolutely - mainly he asked for last minute thoughts, and I'm throwing mine out there - that dang F250 6.7 just does not feel like a good combo unless it fits your needs exactly.

If he's considered it and knows what he's doing - great! If not, hopefully takes some time to noodle it over before dropping the $70k on the truck.

He mentions dirt bikes - dirt bikes in the bed, and pulling a TT? Does he want or already have a 5er toy hauler? Who knows!?

Absolutely - mainly he asked for last minute thoughts, and I'm throwing mine out there - that dang F250 6.7 just does not feel like a good combo unless it fits your needs exactly.

If he's considered it and knows what he's doing - great! If not, hopefully takes some time to noodle it over before dropping the $70k on the truck.

He mentions dirt bikes - dirt bikes in the bed, and pulling a TT? Does he want or already have a 5er toy hauler? Who knows!?

When I was in sales so many people would Spec out the wrong truck. Ended up back and rebuying with negative equity to match the needs properly.

This may or not be an example of it, but as you said, unless this perfectly suits his needs and they have no chance of changing, get the 350!! Dont Cost yourself HUGE late to save a few thousand now!!

And Add 60W!!!

Last edited:
When I was in sales so many people would Spec out the wrong truck. Ended up back and rebuying with negative equity to match the needs properly.

This may or not be an example of it, but as you said, unless this perfectly suits his needs and they have no chance of changing, get the 350.
100% agree. I’ve got a 6.7 F250 and am waiting on Carli leaf springs that will reduce my bed capacity. I also know exactly what I’ll use my truck for. If I was undecided on my TT size or what I planned on doing down the road, I’d pick the F350 as a security blanket.

This may or not be an example of it, but as you said, unless this perfectly suits his needs and they have no chance of changing, get the 350!! Dont Cost yourself HUGE late to save a few thousand now!!

And Add 60W!!!

Based on previous threads, I was under the impression that the Tremor spec F250 6.7 and F350 6.7 units are the same in terms of payload and towing capacity. In this case, if the Tremor spec was essential, the only way to gain payload capacity would be to go with the lighter 7.3 engine option.

Latest Discussions

Back