Oil change intervals & what oil

I can tell you the whole 1k change is no longer a thing. I drove up to my dealer to get mine done at 1k, they talked to me for a while as nobody else was in there that day...they explained that this was only a issue back when they put certain oil in engines to ship them, process the vehicle, etc...it was basically filler and was just for this purpose...now they run the engines and break them in at the factory and they put the same factory oil you would get if you have the dealership change the oil. So the whole breakin period oil thing has been a non issue for quiet a while.

I have done the 5k miles tires and oil on my last truck and my jeep as well and both were kept till like 180k without a single engine issue or repair. I did use Valvoline full synthetic and the napa gold filters that are Wix filters. So I plan on doin the same with my Tremor. Im at 5100 miles right now so probably will rotate tires and change the oil soon.

Mobil 1 Advanced Synthetic and MotorCraft Filter. I changed it at 1500 miles, then again at 5000. I don't drive often, usually not very far, less than 8k yr. I stick with twice a year service intervals. Don't forget to Grease the U-Joint on each end of Front Axle, where it meets the Hubs. These are not sealed U-Joints. Expect to see the factory Red Grease come from around the Caps. Do your best to clean off all you can of the expelled grease, the mess would be huge.

So almost nobody follows Ford’s recommendations
I do. Will take it in when the first "wrench" light comes on. I don't see the need to do it sooner, but to each their own. I have 2015 Mustang GT that I drive very little. Still has less than 5K miles but I've changed the oil at least 6 times because the oil life will go to 0%, after 1 year, regardless. The guy at the local Ford dealer Fast Lane always says "See you next year!"

Did my first change at 2k....next at 5k and every 5k after. Use synthetic blend in just about everything and fram filters...normally the TG. Just about that way for all 7 of my current rides and many before. From new to over 200k no problems

I'll do the first one at 2.5k, second at 5k, and then every 5k thereafter. I don't put many miles on my vehicles (5k per year at most). I'll probably use Motorcraft filter. I have been using Premium Guard filters in my other vehicles, and they seem to be top quality, but they aren't always easy to find. For oil, I will probably go with Supertech blend or full synth.

We have 4,650 miles on the 7.3L with about 75% highway miles and 55% remaining oil life

This is the same oil/filter that came on the truck, it has never been changed

How many people change oil when you oil life is at 5% or less Vs miles

What oil& filter do u use??
I change 5k miles and I use either motorcraft, Wix, or Baldwin. The later two I like because they are industry leaders for industrial equipment. Buying in bulk the price for them is reasonable. I use Costco Full Synthetic 5w-30. It meets all the requirements Ford requires and is US made by a very reputable company. Costco price can't be beat. Ships to your door in 3days or less for free.

I plan to go go once a year with the Amsoil. Unless I exceed 10k. With having a pair of F350s its not likely. I always order my next oil change "kit" so I have oil and filters in stock.
If I had one truck only, probably run 7-8 k intervals with a good synthetic.

I use Schaffers and Ford filters -

Last edited:
I did the first at 2k, right before a 1,600 mile camper trip. Again at 5k, and I'll keep it at 5k. Ford semi synthetic oil. I just have the dealer do it. $80 and they rotate the tires. Not worth it for me to do all that and haul off the old oil.

I changed rear diff and oil and filter at 2k on my godzirra. Motorcraft filter and amsoil fluids. Will probably go by manual on mileage moving forward.

First oil change at 1000 miles with Motorcraft synthetic blend & filter to eliminate warranty issues. So glad since the truck has 4200 miles and it's getting a new 7.3 after an engine failure. I'm sure if they saw an aftermarket filter I'd be fighting them instead of smooth dealings so far...
My belief is that the engine lost oil pressure.

I plan on changing initially at 5k and 10k miles each with motorcraft 820-s filters and M1 extended performance 5W-30. For a sanity check and to take out the guesswork I’ll send a sample from each change to Blackstone Labs for analysis and use real quantitative results to better dial in oil change intervals. I expect higher wear metals for the first OCI and to achieve a proper baseline by the second OCI. I’ll then plan for a UOA every 30-40k miles thereafter to monitor the health of the motor and reference my numbers against universal averages.

Higher frequency OCI’s are “cheap” insurance but if you’re leaving potentially thousands of extra miles per change interval on the table, that adds up to a non-trivial amount over the lifetime of the vehicle. Mass spectrometry is far more accurate at judging an oils’ useful service life than gut feel or eyeballing it, just my 2¢
Curious how much does this cost to send to Blackstone thanks

Changed the oil every 3000 miles religiously on my '97 Powerstroke - after about 200000 miles and 6-7 oil changes a year I switched to Scheaffers 9000 5w40 I run in my CATs and have in bulk and added an FS-2500 OTR oil filtration system. Started changing FS-2500 Oil Filter at 10,000 miles and sending oil samples. Oil tests came back fine, and again at 20,000 miles - I just couldn't go longer than 20,000 although the lab said oil tested fine. Filtration Solutions claims oil should be good for 80,000 miles... Have 400000 miles on her and she still runs like she did 25 years ago.

Not sure what interval I will do on my '22 Powerstroke Tremor. Supposed to be no need for FS-2500 OTR filtration system and engine is not plumbed for it like the 7.3l Powerstroke. Different technology entirely with 6.7l I guess. I will start over with oil samples and testing and see what interval works out. Ford claims 7500-10000 miles between changes - manufacturers like nothing more than selling you another vehicle so I am always skeptical on their recommendations. Oil definitely stays cleaner and less soot build up in the 6.7l over the old 7.3l.

Attachments

• 4FC0DD7D-C0F7-43BC-8974-03BDF12A1324.jpeg
    4FC0DD7D-C0F7-43BC-8974-03BDF12A1324.jpeg
    895.7 KB · Views: 81
Curious how much does this cost to send to Blackstone thanks
They send free samples to collect/mail the oil in then it’s $30 for the basic test and $40 for oil + TBN (total base number). I’ll add the TBN on the first couple tests after baseline to help dial in the OCI’s as that tests for remaining base additive used to neutralize the oil’s increased acidity as the engine runs. I think TBN is also very useful for oils in engines that sit longer between oil changes like motorcycles/power sports equipment.

All the manufacturers now push out oil changes longer than they should so they can market "overall lower cost of ownership". I have the feeling that the 7.3 can probably handle longer oil change intervals than most - but when you look at modern engines such as Ford's ecoboost engines that followed Ford's recommendations, they are a complete mess inside (tarnish, buildup, etc.) and in my opinion is directly related to the issues those engines have with timing chains, turbos, etc.

I will definitely be changing my oil earlier than recommended as I care more about overall reliability and long term ownership rather than the average persons total cost over their 5yr ownership. Not sure which oil yet other than that it will be 100% synthetic, I actually really like Castrol Edge full synthetic in all my of my current vehicles.

All the manufacturers now push out oil changes longer than they should so they can market "overall lower cost of ownership". I have the feeling that the 7.3 can probably handle longer oil change intervals than most - but when you look at modern engines such as Ford's ecoboost engines that followed Ford's recommendations, they are a complete mess inside (tarnish, buildup, etc.) and in my opinion is directly related to the issues those engines have with timing chains, turbos, etc.

I will definitely be changing my oil earlier than recommended as I care more about overall reliability and long term ownership rather than the average persons total cost over their 5yr ownership. Not sure which oil yet other than that it will be 100% synthetic, I actually really like Castrol Edge full synthetic in all my of my current vehicles.
I'd be interested to see the source info from where the idea of manufacturer's pushing out their OCI's at the detriment of their own reliability comes from. Modern engines, especially turbo-charged, do induce much harsher shear and heat stresses on the oil so compared to an n/a motor I definitely agree OCI's should be pulled in a good bit to compensate.

I do think too a big issue with increased use of turbocharged engines across the board is that most "normal" drivers don't know how to drive them correctly and just treat them like all of the n/a vehicles they've driven in the past. Because turbo'd vehicles require more warm up and cool-down before shutting off the engine, a lot of this is ignored so it's no wonder people have heavy deposits and coking in their engines, especially in their turbo's oil supply lines. We're a long way away from needing turbo-timers and modern oils have powerful detergent and dispersant additives to combat sludge, but coke buildup will absolutely trash a turbo'd engine if it's allowed to progress that far.

No better way to be sure about overall reliability in the long-term than having the oil tested!

Back