Oil change intervals & what oil

Always used Mobil 1 then switched over to Pennzoil Platinum for a year or so, now I use the Kirkland full synth and a motorcraft filter. I bought a case of them since all 3 cars in the house use them. That is until I get my 7.3. I usually change out at 7500 miles depending on what I have done in those miles or how hot it has been. My truck calls for 5/20 but in the summer I run 5/30 and back to 20 in the winter.
Blackstone has given me the OK to try a 10k change but I won't.

Picked up a Motorcraft filter and 2 jugs of Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend at Walmart today and my truck ain’t even made it to the dealer yet. Figured I’d better grab it while they have it and be prepared for when the truck is home.

Walmart is a good place for the oil I've found. Not a bad price and more importantly in stock most of the time...sorry ment for the Motorcraft oil

Last edited:
Anyone know the logic used for the oil life % in the truck?

Anyone know the logic used for the oil life % in the truck?
Don't know if the specific logic has ever been published, but it takes into account many factors, including:
  • Engine temperature
  • Engine runtime (both overall and length of runtime between starts)
  • Engine load
  • Engine RPM
  • Time since last reset
  • Engine off time
Might be more it takes into account.

I had the oil changed and tires rotated evey 6k miles in the 2013 expedition. It's currently got 173,000 miles on it and doing just fine. I imagine I will stick to the same schedule with the 7.3.

I may change the oil myself on this one and Baldwin filters come highly recommended from a few of the local guys that run weekend drag cars.

I've had the truck exactly a week today and have 1500 miles on it.

I drive about 4500 mile every six months. I have a oil change and tire rotate on Saturday and then I will take it in again in September regardless of the mile. I just do every 6 months.

Don't know if the specific logic has ever been published, but it takes into account many factors, including:
  • Engine temperature
  • Engine load
  • Engine RPM
  • Time since last reset
  • Engine off time
Great question...currently I am the mileage on the sticker the dealer put on my windshield but my oil life says at 55%.

I have the 7.3L. 2022 and have 9,500 miles give or take and have changed my oil twice myself. I’m not waiting until 0% oil life. Roughly 5,000 miles max. Sticking with OE oil and filter.

We have 4,650 miles on the 7.3L with about 75% highway miles and 55% remaining oil life

This is the same oil/filter that came on the truck, it has never been changed

How many people change oil when you oil life is at 5% or less Vs miles

What oil& filter do u use??
I have a 2022 with 8,000 miles. My first change was at 2,000. Continued to 8,000 for my next so far so good. Love the truck !

There are several ford tech guys on YouTube that I watch. You will quickly realize that none of them recommend going by the ford oil change intervals. I would say the census is 5k.
If you dig deap into the manual even Ford recommends 5K interval on the 7.3L for what they call severe service operation. I call that normal driving conditions especially for a Superduty Tremor.
440B2824-A1E2-48BA-A0A2-927CB745E467.png

Attachments

• 9DA726AF-1273-40EC-A9B3-CD51A1F05983.png
    9DA726AF-1273-40EC-A9B3-CD51A1F05983.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 63
I do the 1st oil change at 500-1000 miles after the break in period, and then about every 5000. Using full synthetic. Has kept all my trucks running great over the years like that. Decades ago I would do every 3000 miles.

Ford does recommend every 5K miles for “severe service operations” on the 7.3L. Which is going to be most Tremor usage, towing, off-roading, dusty conditions, words. I have been using the Motorcraft filters and Mobile 1 full synthetic every 5K. Going to have to look up this project farms stuff since the Mobile 1 has done well in lab testing I have read.
I have a 2020 7.3L. Love it. I changed at 2000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 Filter. I have 19k on the ODO. I am changing every 5k-6k miles even though Ford says 10k miles

Changed at 1000 miles after break-in, next at 5000 miles, and will be changing every 5000 miles after that regardless of what the truck says for oil life. Only exception would be if the truck determines it needs an oil change earlier than that. Almost guaranteed it's more frequent than it needs, but it keeps it simple for tracking purposes and ensures I'm not going too long without an oil change.

Using Motorcraft 5w-30 full synthetic. Again, keeps it simple. Available at all Ford dealerships so I can either change the oil myself or have the dealership do it. But higher quality than the normal synthetic blend.
This is the best protocol to follow. Don’t pay attention to what the truck says.

Reactions: ccw
We have 4,650 miles on the 7.3L with about 75% highway miles and 55% remaining oil life

This is the same oil/filter that came on the truck, it has never been changed

How many people change oil when you oil life is at 5% or less Vs miles

What oil& filter do u use??
I change mine every 5000 miles, no matter what the maintenance monitor says. I use Schaeffer’s supreme 9000 full synthetic with an oem oil filter. You can pick up a case of the filters online for a very reasonable price.

I change the oil at the dealership when the truck tells me it’s needed. I’m pretty sure it’s not mileage related, but engine hours. Ford had much smarter engineers than me, so I’m relying on their expertise.

Anyways, I will get rid of the truck before the extended warranty expires.

• Engine temperature
  • Engine load
  • Engine RPM
  • Time since last reset
  • Engine off time
Interesting, I always assumed it was programmed to alert you by mileage only. Just looked at my "Oil Life Remaining" status. Says I am at 40% oil life remaining and an estimated distance of 1,700 miles. Adding in my current mileage of 4,100 my first oil change would be 5,800 miles. I am a very light user, no towing, no off-roading, very easy on the accelerator (retired now, no big hurry, lol). Will be getting it changed at 5,000. Had the truck for about 7 months.

Reactions: ccw
Back