Mirror Theft - 23+ Trucks - handle punch break-in?

Joined
Apr 1, 2024
Messages
1,988
Reaction Points
4,377
Location
OK
Current Ride #1
2022 F250 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1988 Yamaha Big Bear 350
Below is a photo i received from a customer today (permission was given to share).

He had his 2024 Super Duty broke in using some sort of punch as you can see in thebelow photo. They managed to get inside and stole both side mirrors, which he stated list price being $4,815 +tax.
What i cant figure out is that he explicitly stated there were no teeth marks on the lock cylinder. If what i've read/been told is correct, the newer trucks utilize a cable, not a lock rod like the 17-22.
The best we can figure, a thief punched through and somehow was able to unlatch/unlock the truck through this hole.

This is the first i've heard of mirrors being stolen off a Super Duty (feel like the last i heard it was on a different make truck) and this is definitely the first i've heard of thieves punching behind the handle (although i know this was a tactic used on the earlier Super Dutys.

Anyone with a newer truck know about this and/or done something to protect against it? I'd certainly like more info on this so I can share it on my IG.


1791486774884.webp
 
Last edited:
Also curious about where - Southern Texas I assume?

I have never heard of this. I wonder if there is a black market for these mirrors of if this was a one off from someone who needed them for their truck?

As 23+ owner, I will following this thread.

Maybe this will lead to yet another anti theft measure we need to take - I frickin hate thieves.
 
Also curious about where - Southern Texas I assume?

I have never heard of this. I wonder if there is a black market for these mirrors of if this was a one off from someone who needed them for their truck?

As 23+ owner, I will following this thread.

Maybe this will lead to yet another anti theft measure we need to take - I frickin hate thieves.
This customer is located in Dallas, TX.

Theres a market for any pricey auto parts. Heck i've been told by multiple people when letting them know what I make that i should make something to protect Porsche headlights. Apparently they are a hot item too 🤷‍♂️

Regarding the protective measures... protecting the horn should be top priority. BMC makes a plate, and I've partnered with them to sell them, to protect the horn and hood latch. Relocating or adding another horn to your rig is one way to not have to mess with anything up front but still have protection. The goal is to keep some sort of audible alarm working on your truck.

Protecting the door from being broke into is not something i have immediate access to investigate being that its only on the newer trucks - unless one of yall can let me have your truck for a few weeks and dont mind me wrenching on it 🤪🤪:unsure:
 
Also curious about where - Southern Texas I assume?

I have never heard of this. I wonder if there is a black market for these mirrors of if this was a one off from someone who needed them for their truck?

As 23+ owner, I will following this thread.

Maybe this will lead to yet another anti theft measure we need to take - I frickin hate thieves.
The black market is called EBay. They go for $300-$500 each.
 
The point of this thread was to see if anyone with a 23+ truck has figured out how to protect a brute force break in like this.
Hopefully someone on here has done something they wouldnt mind sharing.
 
The point of this thread was to see if anyone with a 23+ truck has figured out how to protect a brute force break in like this.
Hopefully someone on here has done something they wouldnt mind sharing.


I guess you didn't notice the latest anti theft device on my truck when we were in Moab, it is kind of subtle and easily missed.


1791492441278.webp



All kidding aside. Without an internal plate that surrounds the door lock, I am not sure how you could guard against this?
 
I guess you didn't notice the latest anti theft device on my truck when we were in Moab, it is kind of subtle and easily missed.


View attachment 274699


All kidding aside. Without an internal plate that surrounds the door lock, I am not sure how you could guard against this?
Hey... @MVI could do this. :ROFLMAO:
 
Following cause sharing is caring. :D:D

:cool::cool:🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲
 
How are they opening the door through that punched hole?

The 2023+ no longer have a lock rod they can reach through and activate, as they switched to a cable mechanism IIRC.

Got to know what they are doing in order to devise measures against it.
 
I am willing to bet they are knocking out a locking/locator for the lock cylinder in that position. Once they remove the locking feature, they simply use a flatblade screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder and unlock the door.
 
Regarding the protective measures... protecting the horn should be top priority. BMC makes a plate, and I've partnered with them to sell them, to protect the horn and hood latch. Relocating or adding another horn to your rig is one way to not have to mess with anything up front but still have protection. The goal is to keep some sort of audible alarm working on your truck.
Been watching another vendor for an updated relocate or protection kit for the horns on the 23+. This compatible with your HoodGuard to double up?

Strike that, the image finally loaded. Now if only grille removal wasn't such a pain in the ass with the new bumper. Haha
 
How are they opening the door through that punched hole?

The 2023+ no longer have a lock rod they can reach through and activate, as they switched to a cable mechanism IIRC.

Got to know what they are doing in order to devise measures against it.
I am wondering they can reach in with a small flathead (after they make a hole) a push against the cable to free the mechanism.

@OmahaBravo - Any chance this customer can provide you with pictures of the inside of the door where the hole is?
 
I’m not close enough to lend you my truck to wrench on but I sure don’t mind wrenching on it myself and sending whatever photos and measurements you’d need.

Edit: 2024 XLT
 

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom