Kernals on-board air system.

Looks awesome! Great idea.
you can put a self sealing air tank drain on with a remote cable and mount it by your rear door running board or in the rear wheel well. Then you just pull the cable to drain your tank without climbing under and dropping your tire. We use them on all of our rigs with air brakes and drain them during daily inspection.
That’s a great idea. I will definitely look into it.

Looks awesome! Great idea.
you can put a self sealing air tank drain on with a remote cable and mount it by your rear door running board or in the rear wheel well. Then you just pull the cable to drain your tank without climbing under and dropping your tire. We use them on all of our rigs with air brakes and drain them during daily inspection.
That's a great idea... something like the following, right?

General question about air tanks…..with compressors I drain the tank after I’m done using it for the day. Keeps condensation out of the tank so rust doesn’t form keeping them in top shape.

With the underbody tanks such as the one in the photos above are you emptying them periodically? Do you do so manually? I’ve been thinking about a N/O valve hooked to the same relay as my compressor. So when the compressor is on even if idle, the tank valve is energized closed. When I cut compressor power the valve opens and empties the tank.

But after it’s empty I’m thinking I’d rather have the valve closed again so to keep out bugs and dirt that could wind up in my lines so automatic may not work either.

Thoughts?
Why don't you just hook your air horn up to the lowest port on the tank. Then it empties every time you honk. On the remote, double click of the lock button and it removes the condensation from the tank.

Same. I’ve been looking at on-board air stuff all day and this mounting system is exactly what I will do. Let us know once you have an idea of cost, etc.

I noticed in your original work-up, you had the tank mounted upside down (legs up) which allowed a port to be down and drain. In the finished mounting, you ended up mounting the tank sideways. Can you elaborate on what changed your mind? My "concern" (not sure how big of a deal) is that now there are no ports for properly draining the tank, as no ports are at the lowest part of the tank. Again, not sure how important this is or isn't, but I'd love to know why the change happened, whether it was a clearance issue or something. I want to mount the tank and compressor in these areas for sure, as I think it is a fantastic idea for that use of space.

I noticed in your original work-up, you had the tank mounted upside down (legs up) which allowed a port to be down and drain. In the finished mounting, you ended up mounting the tank sideways. Can you elaborate on what changed your mind? My "concern" (not sure how big of a deal) is that now there are no ports for properly draining the tank, as no ports are at the lowest part of the tank. Again, not sure how important this is or isn't, but I'd love to know why the change happened, whether it was a clearance issue or something. I want to mount the tank and compressor in these areas for sure, as I think it is a fantastic idea for that use of space.
The installation looks great! and I am very interested if you start producing the brackets but I noticed the same thing. The tank would have to be almost 1/2 full of water before you could get the drain to function unless there is a port on the bottom that isn't visible in the picture.

On Board Air made simple ..
I've been following this, it's a super clean design. I like simplicity, you've nailed it here. I'm ready when you are.
Even as a Bolt-Together kit.

Latest Discussions

Back