It's here! 11 days early. Toms build thread.

The plastic tote/storage bin in the bed had to go. I wanted it to work but just not enough room. The idea was if I needed the full bed to haul stuff I'd be able to simply remove but with so many vehicles getting broke into these days something to slow them down a bit needed to be added. Plus i needed more room for "stuff". I had another smaller storage bin of stuff that I wanted to have in the truck.

$269 if i remember correctly at Lowe's. Works for me. Biggest downside is that I had to space it +/- 6 inches from the front of the bed to allow the lid to open enough to be usable. So lost even more bed space. Really the only time I use the bed is general house stuff so not killing me. I bought the truck for a daily driver and to be used offroad not to haul.

Anyways, I like. It's not full size (width wheel well to wheel well) so still able to haul say a bunch of 6ft 2x4s on the sides, etc.

The included install kit was nice. 2 options. Basic 4 holes nut/bolt or rivnuts. It came with a basic rivnut install tool too. So went down that road to make it a simple one person install job. Done in no time.

View attachment 3422

View attachment 3419

View attachment 3420

View attachment 3421

Tom
And Im sure that this has been asked and ive over looked it. Is there any issues with opening the tool box? Im thinking about the same thing with the cover but I was worried about the distance needed to open the lid.

And Im sure that this has been asked and ive over looked it. Is there any issues with opening the tool box? Im thinking about the same thing with the cover but I was worried about the distance needed to open the lid.
I lost some space having to space it out some from the front of the bed. I compromised and spaced it out so that I can get into the box and make it useful but not enough to be able to fully open the lid to a 90 degree opening. I have a rubber strip on the tool box lid so when it opens and contacts the cover nothing gets scratched/dinged. I'm sure if I had done more digging I could of found a box with a offset lid to account for the bed cover. Works for me. I like it being a smaller box meant for a smaller truck. It gives me room on the left/ride side for longer items if I need it.

Tom

I lost some space having to space it out some from the front of the bed. I compromised and spaced it out so that I can get into the box and make it useful but not enough to be able to fully open the lid to a 90 degree opening. I have a rubber strip on the tool box lid so when it opens and contacts the cover nothing gets scratched/dinged. I'm sure if I had done more digging I could of found a box with a offset lid to account for the bed cover. Works for me. I like it being a smaller box meant for a smaller truck. It gives me room on the left/ride side for longer items if I need it.

Tom
Thanks, any idea what kind of spacing I should look for? Is that’s the Bakfilp cover?

Thanks, any idea what kind of spacing I should look for? Is that’s the Bakfilp cover?
+/-4 inches spaced out.

Backflip cover.

20201210_163626.jpg

20201210_163725.jpg

20201210_163759.jpg

Tom

Say man. Quick favor. I think you've got your pillar lights mounted on the zraodz hood bracket, am i right? Would you be able to throw me a measurement of the mount where the lights bolt to. I want to get the same brackets but use them for antennas instead of lights. I need to be able to drill a 3/4" hole for NMO antenna. want to be sure there's enough metal there to support that. I reached out to zroadz but no response yet

Those were meant to be temporary. I just haven't got around to buying the SDHQ mounts, which are super solid (a buddy has them). Just some zigs and zags of some 3/8th steel flat bar. Cheap and easy. Would be plenty for an antennae mount unless one was going really crazy on the antennae.

20201210_180107.jpg

Tom

Another fine day in Vegas! Started out with a toy drive finale delivering the toys that we've (SNORR-Southern Nevada Off-Road Recovery a 401(3c) non-profit organization) donated, collected, etc to KLUC 98.5 . We departed from a strip location with lights and strobes a flashing for a several mile drive to NV energy parking lot. Lots of horn honks and waves along the way to deliver the toys. We finished filling their #33 container and got a good start on #34. Always good to give this time of the year!

20201212_121153.jpg

20201212_121222.jpg

TV snap shot this evening.

20201212_220956.jpg

Then moved on to a evening Taco recovery in some nasty goo right next to the lake. Started out with trying a single line pull which required the use of a Tre 25ft winch extension just to see (I had doubts) but had to swap it for a little more mechanical advantage. Broke out my Tre snatch block and 100ft Tre winch extension. That did the trick. Gooood to have stuff! Spendy but when/if needed good to have on hand!

My safety distance... I originally parked a football field away until I had a chance to walk it (my jeep brother's on the recovery not so forward thinking as the first drove right up to the truck and got buried allowing me to plan and setup the recovery as the jeeps worked the extraction of one of their own, lol).

20201212_174540.jpg

20201212_174546.jpg

20201212_174605.jpg

20201212_174621.jpg

20201212_184114.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
Snatch block! I'm still (im)patiently waiting for Ford Performance Products to have the damn winch available as an After-Sales accessory, so I'm stuck reading winch use stories and videos and whatnot. There was one guy that always gets excited when he talks about snatch blocks. To the point that I'm shopping for one, even though the only winches I have are on my quads.

Looks like good times, both the charitable run and the volunteer time. I need to find more of that kind of stuff to participate in. You're an inspiring dude.

Snatch block! I'm still (im)patiently waiting for Ford Performance Products to have the damn winch available as an After-Sales accessory, so I'm stuck reading winch use stories and videos and whatnot. There was one guy that always gets excited when he talks about snatch blocks. To the point that I'm shopping for one, even though the only winches I have are on my quads.

Looks like good times, both the charitable run and the volunteer time. I need to find more of that kind of stuff to participate in. You're an inspiring dude.
Not cheap by any means but hard to beat 2lbs and soft shackle friendly edges! (I have 2 of them.)

Mailchimp-LT-SB.png

Tom

ARB finally got remote air coupling kits back in stock in the US. Love this set-up. I used a 2 meter ARB braided line. A little extra but not much. Why I ran it around the compressor. To eat up some of the extra length. The kit came with the coupler, mount, 2 90 degree fittings and one straight fitting.

View attachment 3027

View attachment 3028

View attachment 3029

I'm sure this will drive me nuts eventually but for the time being where the hose sits. I covered it with black auto wire conduit to blend in since the braided stuck out big time against the black bed spray.

View attachment 3030

Tom
very nice ...

I didn't even take a picture today.. One of the guys off a local offroad Facebook group announced a run (event) today to the historic Pioneer Saloon in Good Springs, Nevada. (http://www.pioneersaloon.info/) I figured what the heck never been there. Only 4 vehicles showed out of the 5 confirmed to go at 1300. We took a route that skirted the north and west sides of Potosi mountain then down into the desert floor to Good Springs. Nothing overly challenging. Just a fun run not to far out of town. The Ghost Pepper burger is the way to go with a jalapeño cheddar and saute onions!!!

Anyways... The Jeep challenge got tossed out as we showed at the saloon. Our fearless leader said on the radio I don't recommend anyone follows me on this last hill and just park. He wanted to buzz up it with his family from out of town. After seeing him go over the nasty section and being able to see his winch from below I knew it was dam steep and figured yup not me. But curiosity got me after watching one of the others attempt it and fail.

It was dam steep!!! Wish I had the inclinometer on the dash to see what angle it was... Had to be at least 45 degrees up at one point. Highly shocked neither of my bumpers hit. Never spun a tire. Looked like a boss killing it even though i held my breath the entire time. Lol

Lime green line was our route.

Screenshot_20201223-220617_Gaia GPS.jpg

The lead jeep climbing it along with part of the Dodge fail.

And my looksie followed by wth... send it.

Tom

Did these about a month ago. Love them with the boat! Rigid D-Series Pro w/flood beam.

View attachment 1714

View attachment 1716

View attachment 1717

Just did these this afternoon. Sitting here waiting for darkness so I can run out and test them... Mount still needs a little work to be dialed. Baby steps. Rigid D-SS Pro (side shooter's) w/spot main beam.

View attachment 1720

View attachment 1719

Tom
I want to get me a pair of those Rigid D-SS PRO side shooters w/ spot. I have a pair of these huge LP6 panel lights that are just to big. They are 6 1/12”. How big are the those Rigid ones. I would think the LP6 would be in the way of my view and I also worry if I had my windows rolled down there would be a terrible sound coming from them. Can you tell me the size of them. If they obstruct your view and if they make any sounds. You also told me you can change the lenses. I did not see lenses to purchase. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I guess just one more question. What is your thinking if I installed these monster LP6 lights. Thanks for all your wisdom. Merry Christmas my friend. ?????????

883666F6-D099-4E3E-8B96-12C34BE3F696.jpeg

Don ?

Last edited:
Not cheap by any means but hard to beat 2lbs and soft shackle friendly edges! (I have 2 of them.)

View attachment 11464

Tom
Love my TRE snatch block and safety thimble on my Jeep

I want to get me a pair of those Rigid D-SS PRO side shooters w/ spot. I have a pair of these huge LP6 panel lights that are just to big. They are 6 1/12”. How big are the those Rigid ones. I would think the LP6 would be in the way of my view and I also worry if I had my windows rolled down there would be a terrible sound coming from them. Can you tell me the size of them. If they obstruct your view and if they make any sounds. You also told me you can change the lenses. I did not see lenses to purchase. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I guess just one more question. What is your thinking if I installed these monster LP6 lights. Thanks for all your wisdom. Merry Christmas my friend. ?????????

View attachment 12531

Don ?
The Rigid Sideshooter is 3 inches tall 4 inches wide. A nice cube. Those LP6 have some power though. Nearly twice as much. Any of the smaller BD lights are about half the power of the Rigid. The Rigids don't make any noise and really you don't even notice them there.

Here's the cover below. They attach/come off painlessly. You have to order 2 since they're not sold in pairs. I love having the option to use white or amber depending on the situation.

Tom

The Rigid Sideshooter is 3 inches tall 4 inches wide. A nice cube. Those LP6 have some power though. Nearly twice as much. Any of the smaller BD lights are about half the power of the Rigid. The Rigids don't make any noise and really you don't even notice them there.

Here's the cover below. They attach/come off painlessly. You have to order 2 since they're not sold in pairs. I love having the option to use white or amber depending on the situation.

Tom
Thank You Brother. What’s your thoughts on a massive 6 1/2” round LP6 light on your hood. I got a great deal but was very expensive. Not worried about paying extra but Bbrett had LP4 on his hood of his beautiful beast and said he’s selling them. He never responded to my questions and that was in the back of my mind. Then these came in and it’s so not what I envisioned. So your thoughts Tom. Thanks.
Don. ???????

Thank You Brother. What’s your thoughts on a massive 6 1/2” round LP6 light on your hood. I got a great deal but was very expensive. Not worried about paying extra but Bbrett had LP4 on his hood of his beautiful beast and said he’s selling them. He never responded to my questions and that was in the back of my mind. Then these came in and it’s so not what I envisioned. So your thoughts Tom. Thanks.
Don. ???????
20k lumens verse 10k per pair. I'd say mount and see. You're going to need the same a pillar mount regardless so tossing them on without even wiring isn't costing you anything at this point. I just sat in mine trying to envision them being bigger but wasn't seeing it. Lol I only see maybe 40% of the drivers side with the Rigid SS. The rest is blocked by the pillar. I don't think I would have a problem running them. I'm off in the Boonies a lot and there's no such thing as too much light imo.

Tom

20k lumens verse 10k per pair. I'd say mount and see. You're going to need the same a pillar mount regardless so tossing them on without even wiring isn't costing you anything at this point. I just sat in mine trying to envision them being bigger but wasn't seeing it. Lol I only see maybe 40% of the drivers side with the Rigid SS. The rest is blocked by the pillar. I don't think I would have a problem running them. I'm off in the Boonies a lot and there's no such thing as too much light imo.

Tom
Tom you made my night. You are one bad ass dude. I needed a smile and you gave me one for sure. Your adventures are only dreams I can fathom. So thanks my man. Life is what we make of it and you have made a lot of it. Can’t wait to make a trip out West. I’m going to look you up and share some adventures, some cold beers, and some laughs. Thanks buddy
????????????✌️✌️✌️
Don ?

Don. ???????
I think with pillar mounts you need to be careful with bleed. If the light reflects off the hood a lot, it can be distracting. Alternatively, if you get a dedicated SPOT beam, there is very limited applications where you will use it - again, it becomes very distracting and looks like lasers coming out reflecting off dust and/or fog. Personally, I like my lights in front of the hood for this reason and put different light [patterns] on different switches...

Latest Discussions

Back