Infotainment Sync3 to Sync4 in the works

Created a profile for this thread specifically….sup everyone.

Have a friend at infotainment that *might* be able to help with a group purchase, no information available at this moment above what’s been discussed on this thread. Will update if I receive more information…

I’ve been closely following this topic as I am less than pleased with the fossilized sync 3 on my 21 lariat. Sad to say but it does not hold a candle to my previous Ram’s Uconnect.

Also interested to hear if someone’s found a fix / software patch for the dreaded CarPlay mic issue.
Good news. An over the air software update fixes CarPlay’s microphone issue.

Post in thread 'Issue w/ Sync3 Bluetooth/CarPlay calls: microphone volume'
https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/...play-calls-microphone-volume.2731/post-121807

What interests me is if we can convert that Mach-E center stack into one of ours.

THAT would be interesting. Also, if this does not occur, anyone know if we can change the default ui with forscan?

Well after more than a year this never became a reality. I am told it's electronically possible, the limiting factor is dashboard...

Really wish that someone could have figured it out, even if a custom part needed to be developed (3d printed?). I am truly shocked that if overseas brands make it possible to retrofit larger profile android tablets, yet no one can make the 12inch OEM screen work....

See this example: https://a.co/d/2BkT1rE

I am really considering trying it out because every time I look at that 8inch screen it makes me want to buy a new truck...which is not possible currently given these insane prices...

Well after more than a year this never became a reality. I am told it's electronically possible, the limiting factor is dashboard...

Really wish that someone could have figured it out, even if a custom part needed to be developed (3d printed?). I am truly shocked that if overseas brands make it possible to retrofit larger profile android tablets, yet no one can make the 12inch OEM screen work....

See this example: https://a.co/d/2BkT1rE

I am really considering trying it out because every time I look at that 8inch screen it makes me want to buy a new truck...which is not possible currently given these insane prices...
There are 14.4" screens out too. https://autotecpro.com/product/ford...s-bt-wifi-carplay-sync-4g-lte/?v=e4b09f3f8402

Hey buddy it's okay. The silver lining is that the 17-22's with the 8" screen will have much more aftermarket support (like the aforementioned 12" and 14" screens). Plus easier part sourcing in the future. The 22's with the 12" screen was a one off year. Good luck finding a dash for a 22 with a 12" screen 8 years from now.

Personally I'm going to hold off for a long as I can before I go aftermarket radio. They seem to be getting better each iteration. After looking at some f150 forums, the 14.4" is nearly there but not perfect. It does retain the stock sync 3 system. Here is video of install.

Last edited:
Lol, that is true.

That is actually a pretty slick unit. Really not a fan of introducing android into my truck's ecosystem as I know nothing about how it is interacting with the cars control units.

These newer aftermarket units retain some element of the APIM (most likely generalizing) so that you can still use the ford pass, but that said - that means the APIM can start the vehicle, lock doors etc - all pretty privileged stuff. Makes me wonder what that aftermarket unit has access to do....

Lol, that is true.

That is actually a pretty slick unit. Really not a fan of introducing android into my truck's ecosystem as I know nothing about how it is interacting with the cars control units.

These newer aftermarket units retain some element of the APIM (most likely generalizing) so that you can still use the ford pass, but that said - that means the APIM can start the vehicle, lock doors etc - all pretty privileged stuff. Makes me wonder what that aftermarket unit has access to do....
The 14.4" fully retains the APIM and the audio control module. So I would assume the unit has full access to the entire vehicle. I suppose if privacy was a concern you could leave the 4g antennas unhooked. I do believe this unit does not require you to use a third party app for Android auto/carplay like the yulu does. Requiring a third party app sketched me out.

That said I ain't trying to sell you on shit. I have not bought it, because I'm waiting for a couple more years for either quicker processors or more bug fixes. I'm just trying to hypothesize with you.

Edit: my dream is that one day someone will release a video passthrough that upconverts each hard coded pixel on the sync3 display out to some new resolution/aspect ratio. But I suspect there is reason no one has done this yet, it must be very difficult. even on these new screens, the OEM sync 3 display output is same resolution as stock, it's not upscaling anything.

Last edited:
The 14.4" fully retains the APIM and the audio control module. So I would assume the unit has full access to the entire vehicle. I suppose if privacy was a concern you could leave the 4g antennas unhooked. I do believe this unit does not require you to use a third party app for Android auto/carplay like the yulu does. Requiring a third party app sketched me out.

That said I ain't trying to sell you on shit. I have not bought it, because I'm waiting for a couple more years for either quicker processors or more bug fixes. I'm just trying to hypothesize with you.

Edit: my dream is that one day someone will release a video passthrough that upconverts each hard coded pixel on the sync3 display out to some new resolution/aspect ratio. But I suspect there is reason no one has done this yet, it must be very difficult. even on these new screens, the OEM sync 3 display output is same resolution as stock, it's not upscaling anything.
I agree with your analysis and appreciate you sharing that unit with me. Did not know about the third party app -- I assume it could allow for a tunnel that provides internet access to the radio, which I would not appreciate.

Still up in the air about what I would like to do. Another part of my gripes around the 360 camera system, which imo is only one step above CRT resolution. Anyone who disagrees is clearly a Ford Engineering apologist.

Been thinking through some options for improving this. There are some aftermarket 360 camera systems and wonder if there is a world where an aftermarket radio could use an aftermarket 360 video feed... This is one that continues to come up in searches:

I agree with your analysis and appreciate you sharing that unit with me. Did not know about the third party app -- I assume it could allow for a tunnel that provides internet access to the radio, which I would not appreciate.

Still up in the air about what I would like to do. Another part of my gripes around the 360 camera system, which imo is only one step above CRT resolution. Anyone who disagrees is clearly a Ford Engineering apologist.

Been thinking through some options for improving this. There are some aftermarket 360 camera systems and wonder if there is a world where an aftermarket radio could use an aftermarket 360 video feed... This is one that continues to come up in searches:
Just saw that this screen is slated to come out quarter 2 this year. I may have just found the screen that is worth ditching the 8" for.
Screenshot_20230214_181803_Chrome.jpg

It looks like the three buttons are at the bottom on this one. That's interesting, I did not know that harness reached that far. Unless this one has a custom extension harness for those buttons.
Screenshot_20230214_181810_Chrome.jpg

That thing is massive, possibly too big imo. I just want something that is stable and does not interfere with normal operation of my vehicle. Fwiw, things I am looking for:
* Display outside ambient temperature!!!!
* Low latency with initial boot time
* Low latency when switching to camera
* Better resolution/larger views on 360 cameras
* No 3rd party app / no sketchy CarPlay integration

Anything more than that is gravy imo...

That thing is massive, possibly too big imo. I just want something that is stable and does not interfere with normal operation of my vehicle. Fwiw, things I am looking for:
* Display outside ambient temperature!!!!
* Low latency with initial boot time
* Low latency when switching to camera
* Better resolution/larger views on 360 cameras
* No 3rd party app / no sketchy CarPlay integration

Anything more than that is gravy imo...
That's a good list of requirements. Many of these Tesla screens seem to have a long boot time and a delay when requesting camera output. If this newest one retains the Sync APIM then it should display outside ambient on the sync screens. We'll see. A lot of unknowns right now.

It is big, but not much bigger than the largest screen offered in the Ford lightnings. (15.0" vs 15.6") It is also laid out similarly (basically a carbon copy) with the dial and feature hard buttons on the bottom.

Last edited:
I've thought about getting a Linkswell or something similar but omitting the hvac controls and other knobs and buttons is a big no from me.

Does this retain the OEM Supplemental Cab heater
There are 14.4" screens out too. https://autotecpro.com/product/ford...s-bt-wifi-carplay-sync-4g-lte/?v=e4b09f3f8402

Hey buddy it's okay. The silver lining is that the 17-22's with the 8" screen will have much more aftermarket support (like the aforementioned 12" and 14" screens). Plus easier part sourcing in the future. The 22's with the 12" screen was a one off year. Good luck finding a dash for a 22 with a 12" screen 8 years from now.

Personally I'm going to hold off for a long as I can before I go aftermarket radio. They seem to be getting better each iteration. After looking at some f150 forums, the 14.4" is nearly there but not perfect. It does retain the stock sync 3 system. Here is video of install.
I wonder if it keeps the Supplemental Cab heater, a lot of these lose that functionality.

Latest Discussions

Back