Got caught out in the hail!

I watched my truck get hammered in Richardson, TX a few weeks ago by nearly golf ball sized hail for about 3 minutes. I was surprised I had no damage. I don't know if the aluminum deflects better that steel, is harder, or what, but a Ram parked next to me had pock marks all over, and I had nothing.

I hope you made it through without damage! Mine is in the Garaj Mahal right now near downtown, and I think I won't get weather/hail until about 1am. The truck will be fine, but I hope my roof will be left intact.

Ed
The Tremor Gods were with you or RAM is even worse than we thought!

Just curious if anyone has any more experience with these "Hail Protectors"?? We travel in the summer with our SXS and I've always hated not having any protection from hail besides the blankets your rip off the bed at 3 am as the first three hail stones hit the roof of the cabin!!

It would be nice to have the option once you get to where you are going to be able to throw this on when you have bad weather in the forecast. 500.00 for piece of mind really isn't expensive in my opinion. I look at it this way, if it can save you the hassle of making a claim, dealing with the insurance company and a body shop, why not ???

I know I'm extremely particular with my stuff but........am I crazy??? LOL

Just curious if anyone has any more experience with these "Hail Protectors"?? We travel in the summer with our SXS and I've always hated not having any protection from hail besides the blankets your rip off the bed at 3 am as the first three hail stones hit the roof of the cabin!!

It would be nice to have the option once you get to where you are going to be able to throw this on when you have bad weather in the forecast. 500.00 for piece of mind really isn't expensive in my opinion. I look at it this way, if it can save you the hassle of making a claim, dealing with the insurance company and a body shop, why not ???

I know I'm extremely particular with my stuff but........am I crazy??? LOL
$500 is less than my deductible. Somebody on here has one can't recall who.

Pretty sure I could deploy my shipping blankets much faster.
Only problem with them is they probably take up more space in the bed but it doesn't look like a lot more than that thing.
I'm rather leery of relying on something mechanical.

Hail sucks....and since I cannot get my truck in the garage I already ordered one of these.... https://hailprotector.com/
Have you had to use it yet? I was wondering your thoughts? I’ve almost pulled the trigger on this multiple times. I live in the dfw area, the weather around these parts can be all over the place.

Pretty sure I could deploy my shipping blankets much faster.
Only problem with them is they probably take up more space in the bed but it doesn't look like a lot more than that thing.
I'm rather leery of relying on something mechanical.

I see what you are saying but I look at it a little different. I don't want to have to run out in the rain at O Dark Thirty and try and get blankets on. From what I've read this system can be put on the vehicle like a cover and then if you need it inflated / deployed, you press a button.

If I was traveling and away from home, simply look at the forecast. If there is any concerns about bad weather, set it up and have it ready or if you want, have it inflated then just go to sleep with peace of mind.

One example for myself is every year we travel to the Black Hills of SD for SxS riding. We rent a house and are there for five days. This area is known for bad storms and hail and I cringe every year when go. In fact one year, my brother's pickup got hailed out and one of the other guys got his trailer hailed out. Fortunately we were not there yet but.......that was luck!! My previous Super Duty I was able to get it into the garage at the rental home (barely) and I was able to run it into the parking garage (barely) in Deadwood but, not sure if the new Tremor will fit!! Plus we travel to other locations over the summer and I'm always watching the weather as I don't want to deal with hail damage!!

Anyways, I would love to hear any feedback or thoughts!!

I'm all for technology but I'm very suspicious that their website seemingly hides any mention or displaying of how it actually works. They make it look like it's magic. Does it plug into the vehicle, a 120 AC extension cord, or does it have its own battery? I've looked at least three times without success so that makes me very suspicious. It does appear to work but is it powered by unicorns or wee faeries? Also, one wee puncture and you've got a $600 sail.

I'm all for technology but I'm very suspicious that their website seemingly hides any mention or displaying of how it actually works. They make it look like it's magic. Does it plug into the vehicle, a 120 AC extension cord, or does it have its own battery? I've looked at least three times without success so that makes me very suspicious. It does appear to work but is it powered by unicorns or wee faeries? Also, one wee puncture and you've got a $600 sail.

All of those questions can be answered if you check the website over. It actually comes with multiple power sources, it can plug into the vehicle, it runs off batteries and it can be just plugged in. Plus there are several videos of it being used as well as news media outlets doing stories on the system, all of which is on the website.

OK, I think I'm a believer now! I like that I can have power options. Since my trailer will usually be with my Tremmy then I've got AC but I'll probably get every option available.

Power To The People!

I think I'll relegate my shipping blankies to the trailer roof. The fiberglass sides are pretty stout so no worries there. It will take a pachyderm's load to cover the trailer but I'm thinking I could store blankies in front of the LP bottles or behind between the spare and the rear.

Well.........
I pulled the trigger on a Hail Protector!! The plan is only to use it for summer traveling when a guy needs cover !!

It’s pretty straight forward and what little assembly needed is simple. Getting it on the truck isn’t difficult either but I also had an extra had. I did not try it with one person, but with two it’s a breeze !!

Once you hit the power switch, I would say it’s about 7 minutes before you would have “protection” and at about 10 minutes it’s filled and you would have full protection.

Once you turn it off, it probably takes about 10 minutes to deflate and then the removal. I'm still messing around with this part, trying to figure out the best way as I'm not 100% sold on their recommendation for removal and "folding" it up. Once it's rolled / folded it does come with a storage bag you can put it in. The remainder of the stuff then goes into a carrying case that comes with the kit as well.

I went back and forth on this and ultimately decided, what the hell. I've spent 500.00 on dumber $hit!!!

Oh, you're not seeing double in the bottom pic, my brother decided to grab one too. Needless to say, I think we were the neighborhood attraction yesterday!!! LOL

03E7FB70-1F4E-48C4-87D3-8759DBBF74C4.jpeg

102EF439-E8A6-45CD-AF8D-0E5AC07EC880.jpeg

Last edited:
Well.........
I pulled the trigger on a Hail Protector!! The plan is only to use it for summer traveling and a guy needs cover !!

It’s pretty straight forward and what little assembly needed is simple. Getting it on the truck isn’t difficult either but I also had an extra had. I did not try it with one person, but with two it’s a breeze !!

Once you hit the power switch, I would say it’s about 7 minutes before you would have “protection” and at about 10 minutes it’s filled and you would have full protection.
View attachment 23919
View attachment 23920
Are they fairly compact when stored?

Well...... yes and no......

Is it big, no, is it small.....no.

I'm still working on this. The bag it comes with does have some straps so you can compress it, which helps. I'm going to look around for maybe a tote or maybe a different bag that I could compress even more.

Right now, it's compressed down and it's in the box, under the tonneau cover, at the front of the box. It takes up some room but I definitely still have room available.

I'll take some pics or maybe some measurements as to what it is now.

Well...... yes and no......

Is it big, no, is it small.....no.

I'm still working on this. The bag it comes with does have some straps so you can compress it, which helps. I'm going to look around for maybe a tote or maybe a different bag that I could compress even more.

Right now, it's compressed down and it's in the box, under the tonneau cover, at the front of the box. It takes up some room but I definitely still have room available.

I'll take some pics or maybe some measurements as to what it is now.
I did a decent job rolling it up. Could be tighter. But getting it this small is pretty easy.

size is SUV3

14FE6A4C-655A-4F4A-B9A6-10A433ABAC45.jpeg

7B0BCF49-EAFC-43AB-B179-1C4463ECE359.jpeg

We got stuck in a hail storm in central NC and we have about 5 tiny dents that you have to look at an angle to barely see. I'm wondering if I could use a cheap dent removal kit. They are barely there but I don't want to do more damage than is already there

We got stuck in a hail storm in central NC and we have about 5 tiny dents that you have to look at an angle to barely see. I'm wondering if I could use a cheap dent removal kit. They are barely there but I don't want to do more damage than is already there
Look up a paintless dent repair shop in your area. Those small dents can be a pain in the butt to remove by yourself. Sorry to hear it happened. The guy I have used in the past can work magic and I’m sure you will have the same results. Good luck with it!

What's hail? -florida man
I grew up in Florida and worked as a service manager in Gainesville FL in the 90’s and they had a hail storm so bad in Orlando that even up in Gainesville our body shops were completely full. The hail was orange size and I saw holes in convertible tops and busted windows. So, it happens albeit fairly rare.

Found an article on it. 60-100 million in damage.

Back