Ford Performance ARB Portable High Output Air Compressor Reviews?

I've been shopping portable compressors for a couple of months and frankly ARB has me turned off (with all of their products). Pricing is ridiculous for the inferior quality (plastic fittngs and air hose). At almost 1/2 the price with much better performance specs and reviews, I am going with the Viair 440 P. It checks 100% of the boxes for me for a portable solution. I have plenty of compressed air available at my shop, just need a reliable portable solution for those times that I'd need it.

Very happy with my arb compressor.

Attachments

• E8EB3CEB-05EE-4379-9E4A-46D4C3AE4EFD.jpeg
    E8EB3CEB-05EE-4379-9E4A-46D4C3AE4EFD.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 255
I've been shopping portable compressors for a couple of months and frankly ARB has me turned off (with all of their products). Pricing is ridiculous for the inferior quality (plastic fittngs and air hose). At almost 1/2 the price with much better performance specs and reviews, I am going with the Viair 440 P. It checks 100% of the boxes for me for a portable solution. I have plenty of compressed air available at my shop, just need a reliable portable solution for those times that I'd need it.
I just pulled the trigger on this setup. Thanks

Very happy with my arb compressor.
I'm happy with my wife. Doesn't mean there isn't a premium cost associated with it, just saying !!! LOL! I've just seen so many really bad reviews over the cheap things ARB uses coming out of their compressor (fittings, hoses, etc.), things that should be top-of-the-line for the price paid, not Walmart issue components. Cutting corners on things that fail in the field that should not. Plastic fittings under pressure are horrible in sub-zero temperatures. For a considerable cost savings, Viair seems to have everything (with better quality and performace) in their equipment. Apple to apples, they both get their crap from China. Same with ARB recovery components, they might be good, but there is better for much less. It seems they are trying to market themselves to off-road yuppie snobs... just my opinion.

I guess I need to look more closely at Viair. I admit I was suckered by the Aussie showmanship. To me the actual compressor of the ARB looks better designed than the Viair. It would be nice if there were some honest comparison reviews.

I guess I need to look more closely at Viair. I admit I was suckered by the Aussie showmanship. To me the actual compressor of the ARB looks better designed than the Viair. It would be nice if there were some honest comparison reviews.
I do like the ARB build, but hell no at their prices plus the mickey mouse complaints I see regarding just tossing in some cheap accessories... people actually buy a spare air hose as a backup when they purchase it (because they expect the 1st to fail) -- ?? Isn't that like tasting sour milk to see if it is, when someone else already said, "yuk, this milk is sour"? I have not seen these types of complaints with Viair, but if I did - I could almost by a 2nd unit complete with the price difference... don't get me wrong, I am not a penny pincher, but I will not wipe my bum with money just to flush it either. Viair support seems to be top notch too (for what it's worth). I have not actually used either product yet, but everything I see clearly points to Viair as the winner. I'd prefer 100% US made, unfortunately - very hard to come by in a portable compressor that will fill larger tires.

Last edited:
Maybe I don't read so good but it looks like the top dog Viairs are about the same as the ARB. I have only just started to compare them so maybe I'm mistaken.

The Viair Dual 485C OBA Gen 2 is $900 and only puts out 3.8 CFM

The ARB CKMTA12KIT is also about $900 but puts out 6.16 CFM

By my math that's 50% more for the same moolah!

Last edited:
Maybe I don't read so good but it looks like the top dog Viairs are about the same as the ARB. I have only just started to compare them so maybe I'm mistaken.
That's what I saw too, but then I started to look at the nitty-gritty of the specs plus the reviews, It just seems to me that one couldn't go wrong with the Viair units (at a much lower cost) versus the ARB, The 440 P should easily fit any Tremor needs even with larger 37" tires. I've looked at many other brands as well, Smitty-Built, Dewalt, Craftsmen all had my attention for a bit, but horrible reviews (still China made stuff as well - it all is). I've gone through 3 or 4 $29.95 Walmart roadside kits with plug-in DC compressors that can barely fill one tire on my Honda Civic to 29 psi in 15 minutes ... I've actually had faster results using a hand pump... I know I need to do much better than that... LOL!

The Viair 440 P puts out 3.0 CFM @ less than $300, also you need to compare duty cycle, max pressure, etc... A 35-37" tire doesn't need more than what the 440P offers... it's a portable compressor not a 100% duty-cycle, used daily shop compressor. A 33% duty-cycle is pretty good. It looks like you can get the ARB twin compressor package for about $615 (without the manifold and mounting kit), but that is still a huge premium to pay considering most people don't trust the fittings/hose that are attached to the compressor. If someone wanted something to use airtools, etc with at remote sites - maybe the ARB could be worth it after upgrading the fittings, etc. Me, I just want to adjust my tire pressure! If I were going to work remotely where I needed airtools, I would just throw my $400 gas-powered pancake compresser (way more useful) in the back of the truck and call it a good day. Right tool for the right job.

Last edited:
Does Viair make a permanently mounted air compressor? My dual ARB easily bolted right into my built right bed panel. I have a portable viair compressor, but wanted something permanently fixed and hard wired into the truck’s upfitter switches.

Of course you can find some bad reviews on the ARB, but I’ve also seen countless good reviews and they are one of the most common in the offroad industry.

I’ve always been happy with my ARB products, even when there are “more expensive” options out there... such as their awnings. i would’ve happily paid double for a nicer awning when I sold my last one on a trailer. However, the awning was so dang well built that I had a hard time justifying anything else.

I like the twin ARB design and that ARB install on the first page!
Clean! It seems to me that ARB's reputation in the off-road world is not unfounded. As for bad reviews - not everyone likes caviar! :)

Does Viair make a permanently mounted air compressor? My dual ARB easily bolted right into my built right bed panel. I have a portable viair compressor, but wanted something permanently fixed and hard wired into the truck’s upfitter switches.

Of course you can find some bad reviews on the ARB, but I’ve also seen countless good reviews and they are one of the most common in the offroad industry.

I’ve always been happy with my ARB products, even when there are “more expensive” options out there... such as their awnings. i would’ve happily paid double for a nicer awning when I sold my last one on a trailer. However, the awning was so dang well built that I had a hard time justifying anything else.
Viair air makes OBAs and dual systems, with or without tanks - would really depend on what you want out of a compressor unit. Me, I want portability (in a case under my back seat for when I need it), properly sized for large tires and something that is dependable and cost-effective. My application does not justify a $900+ system. As I mentioned before, I have a gas-powered unit if I ever need a real dedicated air supply for tools, etc., remotely. Also, a 240V 80 gallon compressor in my shop. If you have air suspension, air horns, etc... then an on-board air solution would make sense - it's just not what I am looking for. :)

Viair air makes OBAs and dual systems, with or without tanks - would really depend on what you want out of a compressor unit. Me, I want portability (in a case under my back seat for when I need it), properly sized for large tires and something that is dependable and cost-effective. My application does not justify a $900+ system. As I mentioned before, I have a gas-powered unit if I ever need a real dedicated air supply for tools, etc., remotely. Also, a 240V 80 gallon compressor in my shop. If you have air suspension, air horns, etc... then an on-board air solution would make sense - it's just not what I am looking for. :)
sounds like the Viair you mentioned definitely suits your needs.

On a side note, my dual ARB compressor, which I posted a photo of above, was only $557.

I bought the ARB portable compressor. Haven’t used it yet so I will reserve my review for later. I have never been disappointed with ARB products!!! Top shelf which is not cheap. ?

@fm650 I have a braided (2m) line running from the ARB to the rear of the truck. Then I have the chuck and have the hose cooled up and secured. When need I just flip off the dust cover and connect the air hose.

Back