First Time Diesel Owner - Oil Change #1 at what mileage?

Motorcraft oil is made by Mobil 1. Always best to spend more for full synthetic and change every 5000-7500 miles no matter what the computer says
Then, why does Ford charge more per the same amount of oil?

Motorcraft oil is made by Mobil 1. Always best to spend more for full synthetic and change every 5000-7500 miles no matter what the computer says
Why is it ‘always best’ when there are literally thousands of documented OA’s proving that conventional motor oil still has significant (30-50 percent) life left upon draining at the mfgr’s recommended intervals of 10k miles? There are also multiple OA’s showing the benefits of synthetic are minimal and basically only consist of easier starts if you live in an extremely cold climate and longer change intervals if you’re looking to go past 10k miles. Waste your time and money if you want but I challenge you to provide any actual evidence that running synthetic @ 7500 mile intervals provides any benefit over dino oil at 10k mile intervals. Only difference is wasting your money, time, and increasing environmental waste.

Why is it ‘always best’ when there are literally thousands of documented OA’s proving that conventional motor oil still has significant (30-50 percent) life left upon draining at the mfgr’s recommended intervals of 10k miles? There are also multiple OA’s showing the benefits of synthetic are minimal and basically only consist of easier starts if you live in an extremely cold climate and longer change intervals if you’re looking to go past 10k miles. Waste your time and money if you want but I challenge you to provide any actual evidence that running synthetic @ 7500 mile intervals provides any benefit over dino oil at 10k mile intervals. Only difference is wasting your money, time, and increasing environmental waste.
Synthetics have some advantages over conventional motor oil. They’re designed to be more effective at:

• Resisting oil breakdown, which makes it last longer than conventional oil
  • Withstanding higher temperatures than conventional oil, which helps keep engines running longer
  • Flowing in cold temperatures, thus reducing engine wear during frigid startups.

Synthetics have some advantages over conventional motor oil. They’re designed to be more effective at:

• Resisting oil breakdown, which makes it last longer than conventional oil
  • Withstanding higher temperatures than conventional oil, which helps keep engines running longer
  • Flowing in cold temperatures, thus reducing engine wear during frigid startups.

That’s exactly what I said and the point remains: unless you live in an extremely cold climate, why use a motor oil that will extend service intervals and then dump it EARLIER than the recommended interval? Pointless. You would be more than covered at 10k miles with syn (as you are with dino oil) and in reality with a quality syn 15k mile OCI’s would be totally fine although I would still follow the OLM

Turbo charged engines really need synthetic for it’s cleaning properties and heat breakdown resistance

That is hogwash. Our turbocharged engines are factory filled with 10w30 dino oil specced by Ford engineers and again it has literally thousands of documented OA’s proving that it holds up great well beyond the manufacturer OCI recommendations. Put syn in your truck if it makes you feel better but that’s all it’s really gonna do. And yes I know Ford specs 5w40 syn for ‘severe’ use but it has been tested side by side with the factory dino fill in extreme conditions and the dino comes out of the drain plug in perfectly acceptable condition when following the OLM- severe duty or not. I’m not saying not to use syn, I’m just saying it’s pointless to use it and dump it earlier than the truck tells you to.

That is hogwash. Our turbocharged engines are factory filled with 10w30 dino oil specced by Ford engineers and again it has literally thousands of documented OA’s proving that it holds up great well beyond the manufacturer OCI recommendations. Put syn in your truck if it makes you feel better but that’s all it’s really gonna do. And yes I know Ford specs 5w40 syn for ‘severe’ use but it has been tested side by side with the factory dino fill in extreme conditions and the dino comes out of the drain plug in perfectly acceptable condition when following the OLM- severe duty or not. I’m not saying not to use syn, I’m just saying it’s pointless to use it and dump it earlier than the truck tells you to.
I believe your truck comes with the combo synth/dino oil from Ford.

Since most of my miles will be towing miles, I'll probably do my first oil change at 5000 miles.

I have started a every 6,000 schedule with the oil and fuel filter being changed at every other oil change. Just my way of doing it, its easy for me to remember multiples of 6 and it doesn't feel like I am replacing my fuel filter too soon, nor letting it go too far.

Since most of my miles will be towing miles, I'll probably do my first oil change at 5000 miles.
did my #1 at 2500, upgraded to Amsoil. Will change every 7,500 miles unless I run it in the Baja 500.

Back