First Oil Change at 1000 mi??

Do the differentials and transfer case too. The rear diff really needs it. I'm planning a full oil change at 1,000 miles.
Man I hate that Ford doesn't have drain plugs! Not on my 18 F150 diffs and it's a PIA in my view. Fluid extraction or getting a new several dollar cover is the only option correct? Dang dealer dependency engineering these days drives me crazy. Like my rear brakes can not be serviced without unlocking the rear calipers with a scan tool!

I changed the factory fill at 300mi and went to Kendall full synthetic 5w30. Changed that again at 2800 after a 10 day road trip. I’ll change it again at 6 and 10k and then do 5k oci from there on out.

Almost to 1000, so was curious what others are doing. Dealer owes me a full synth oil change, but now am wondering if I should go with semi longer, and save the full synth for later. Didn't think about differentials, but now after reading, I wonder if I should do them too. Maybe swap out the rear cover for a Banks. Had a Chevy Blazer years ago that the dealer forgot to add differential fluid. Wasn't pleasant when it seized about 150 miles in.

I must be missing the answer to my question on the entire internet and this forum. I have a 2022 6.7 250 Tremor. which rear end is in it, 10.5 or 10.8? is it a dana w275? the manual lists options but doesn't specify for my truck. trying to get the right oil.

Almost to 1000, so was curious what others are doing. Dealer owes me a full synth oil change, but now am wondering if I should go with semi longer, and save the full synth for later. Didn't think about differentials, but now after reading, I wonder if I should do them too. Maybe swap out the rear cover for a Banks. Had a Chevy Blazer years ago that the dealer forgot to add differential fluid. Wasn't pleasant when it seized about 150 miles in.

I am going to do it. Catch Can asap. Then break in service. 100% upside benefit and no downside. You will certainly remove micro particles from surfacing and rings setting, fluids burning in etc. Thus reducing those containments which can only cause harm. Fresh oil never hurts.

Speaking of oil, Advanced auto currently has buy 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and get a free Mobil 1 filter. Filters are going for $17 in my area. Bought two 5 quart containers and got 2 free filters. I know everyone has their own preference for oil and filters and that has been discussed here at length so not pushing the brand here. Just putting it out there- if you’re a Mobil 1 fan, decent time to stock up 😉.

I am going to do it. Catch Can asap. Then break in service. 100% upside benefit and no downside. You will certainly remove micro particles from surfacing and rings setting, fluids burning in etc. Thus reducing those containments which can only cause harm. Fresh oil never hurts.
This is what I did. Catch can went on the first night I had the truck, first oil change at 1675 miles.

Catch can had about 1/8 cup of oil in it.

I am at 805 and plan on taking in at the 1000ish for an oil filter only change. Dealer said not necessary till 5000 but i just can't wait that long.
Update took it in had 953 miles and the service guy said I didn't need it but I still wanted it done now it will be every 6 months as I don't drive that much as I have a company vehicle.

Last edited:
Man I hate that Ford doesn't have drain plugs! Not on my 18 F150 diffs and it's a PIA in my view. Fluid extraction or getting a new several dollar cover is the only option correct? Dang dealer dependency engineering these days drives me crazy. Like my rear brakes can not be serviced without unlocking the rear calipers with a scan tool!
The rear diff does have a drain plug. The drain plug is the lowest cover bolt. Remove it to drain the rear diff. Then put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the threads when you screw it back in.

I must be missing the answer to my question on the entire internet and this forum. I have a 2022 6.7 250 Tremor. which rear end is in it, 10.5 or 10.8? is it a dana w275? the manual lists options but doesn't specify for my truck. trying to get the right oil.
Guessing Dana 275 since it's really a F350 per this:

2022 F250 vs F350 mechanical differences (I swear I ...​

https://www.ford-trucks.com › ... › 2017+ Super Duty

Sep 29, 2021 — The F250 will come with a (well proven) Sterling rear axle while the F-350 would come with a Dana 275. (The Dana has had a few recalls since ...

Can confirm: all Super Duty trucks with the Tremor package have the M275.
You are correct! I thought the Dana 300 was drw trucks only. But all gas and diesel trucks with the tremor package have the Dana 275.

Reactions: ccw
I am at 805 and plan on taking in at the 1000ish for an oil filter only change. Dealer said not necessary till 5000 but i just can't wait that long.
Update took it in had 953 miles and the service guy said I didn't need it but I still wanted it done now it will be every 6 months as I don't drive that much as I have a company vehicle.
You are not hurting anything changing that early, but you are wasting money. Part of my job is managing a fleet of police cars, these cars are in service 24/7 for 7-10 years. I use motor craft semi syn blend oil and motor craft filters. When these cars arrive new, they hit the road and are ran hard, idle, start and stop constantly and get their first oil change at 5,000 miles, then from there on out, every 5000-7500. Haven’t had an engine failure yet, but one new day old crown Vic failed, but that was another issue. On my f250, I change the oil and filter with motocraft oil and filter, and change it very 5k.

You are not hurting anything changing that early, but you are wasting money. Part of my job is managing a fleet of police cars, these cars are in service 24/7 for 7-10 years. I use motor craft semi syn blend oil and motor craft filters. When these cars arrive new, they hit the road and are ran hard, idle, start and stop constantly and get their first oil change at 5,000 miles, then from there on out, every 5000-7500. Haven’t had an engine failure yet, but one new day old crown Vic failed, but that was another issue. On my f250, I change the oil and filter with motocraft oil and filter, and change it very 5k.
My comment was mainly about the differentials. The rear particularly. They wear in and get a lot of hardface material in the oil, making it look shiny with ground hardened steel in suspension. That can't be a good thing. After several oil changes, done earlier than required, the wear will stabilize and after about 50,000 miles the oil will stay clean. One of the reasons Ram, for instance, wants a break-in before towing, is to let the rear diff break-in. The Cummins doesn't need a break-in. I've changed my Tremor rear diff three times now and am at 48,000 miles. Each time it comes out cleaner. That was my policy with my dirt bikes too, and it seems to pay off. As far as the engine oil and filter goes, in the 7.3, I changed it at about 1,000 miles and then let the oil monitor tell me. It's ready at about every 8,000 miles.

My comment was mainly about the differentials. The rear particularly. They wear in and get a lot of hardface material in the oil, making it look shiny with ground hardened steel in suspension. That can't be a good thing. After several oil changes, done earlier than required, the wear will stabilize and after about 50,000 miles the oil will stay clean. One of the reasons Ram, for instance, wants a break-in before towing, is to let the rear diff break-in. The Cummins doesn't need a break-in. I've changed my Tremor rear diff three times now and am at 48,000 miles. Each time it comes out cleaner. That was my policy with my dirt bikes too, and it seems to pay off. As far as the engine oil and filter goes, in the 7.3, I changed it at about 1,000 miles and then let the oil monitor tell me. It's ready at about every 8,000 miles.
I got yah, yeah that’s correct the break in is for the axle. On my last ram cummins, I had a mag hytec rear diff cover and changed the factory fill around 30k, it was really dark and had allot of small shiny particles in it, clear from the break in.

Latest Discussions

Back