First Oil Change at 1000 mi??

Kalizilla

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor Platinum 7.3
Current Ride #2
2006 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 Limited
Hey are you guys doing a first oil change at 1000 mi on the 7.3 after the break-in period? If so are there any other engine items that should be looked at?

I just change my filter at 1,000 miles and top off the oil, then change oil/filter at regular service intervals after that. Have done that with all my new cars.

Do the differentials and transfer case too. The rear diff really needs it. I'm planning a full oil change at 1,000 miles.

Did mine at 1,000 and replaced with full synthetic. There were lots of little metal particles left over in the bottom of the drain pan.

I wouldn't put full synthetic in mine until closer to 20K miles... the blend is just fine, but actually regular oil is better to use for the first few thousand miles as break-in oil to let the rings seat. They need to hone the bores and settle in which is almost impossible with full synthetic. Just my experience (and opinion). The rear diff oil change wouldn't hurt, probably not necessary unless you have been loaded up with weight, but the transfer case and front diff are almost pointless unless your 1st 1K miles were spent in 4WD. Your transmission fluid wouldn't be a bad idea to change along with the filter at around 10K. The pan has a BAM (bigassmagnetic) in it, plus with the filter, any initial metal particles should be fine until then - and 10K is even overkill for the tranny fluid change. With that said - everyone does their own thing.

i did my 1000 miles in 3 days and did my first oil change my self and now i do it every 7500 miles as i do highway but also tow

You actually pulled the pan at 1K ?
Or what you saw drain out ?
After draining the oil out of the oil drain catch pan there were metal specks and at least one metal shaving. That's why I change the oil so soon after getting a new vehicle. I didn't pull the oil pan.

After draining the oil out of the oil drain catch pan there were metal specks and at least one metal shaving. That's why I change the oil so soon after getting a new vehicle. I didn't pull the oil pan.
it is expected to have shaving on break in period so that is normal but chunks aren't normal ... had some shaving in my oil as well

it is expected to have shaving on break in period so that is normal but chunks aren't normal ... had some shaving in my oil as well
Shavings and especially 'chunks' are not normal to see in your drained oil ... they are usually only seen if you inspect the filter oil. For about $3, this is why I get rid of the filter and top off at the 1000 mile interval... if you can't trust the filter to keep the metal out of the circulating oil, there's a problem somewhere.

I've always found lots of metal in the differential oil early on. Change it at 1000 miles and see what you get. My experience is it takes about three changes before it's broken in. Then it stays clear for many miles.

Shavings and especially 'chunks' are not normal to see in your drained oil ... they are usually only seen if you inspect the filter oil. For about $3, this is why I get rid of the filter and top off at the 1000 mile interval... if you can't trust the filter to keep the metal out of the circulating oil, there's a problem somewhere.
I have built about 5 engines now and had 2 brand new cars with zero miles on them and have learned from others that this is normal to have shaving small very small shaving sit at the bottom of the oil pan and every engine has had this for the first break in oil change ... Minus the one engine I built that had some chunks in it because the block failed .... I even asked my buddy that worked at ford as a diesel tech and he said himself that it's normal on break in

Last edited:
Ahhh one of them kind. Lol
Just pick'n
hahaha maybe so ... i go off my experience with engines, i understand wear and tear happen its normal ...

Do the differentials and transfer case too. The rear diff really needs it. I'm planning a full oil change at 1,000 miles.
Going to be towing travel trailers between 5k and 9k lbs. 75% of the time so the diffs are a great idea. I usually change the oil in my toys after break-in, but this is my first new vehicle so wasn't sure of the protocol/opinion on the first oil change.

I wouldn't put full synthetic in mine until closer to 20K miles... the blend is just fine, but actually regular oil is better to use for the first few thousand miles as break-in oil to let the rings seat. They need to hone the bores and settle in which is almost impossible with full synthetic. Just my experience (and opinion). The rear diff oil change wouldn't hurt, probably not necessary unless you have been loaded up with weight, but the transfer case and front diff are almost pointless unless your 1st 1K miles were spent in 4WD. Your transmission fluid wouldn't be a bad idea to change along with the filter at around 10K. The pan has a BAM (bigassmagnetic) in it, plus with the filter, any initial metal particles should be fine until then - and 10K is even overkill for the tranny fluid change. With that said - everyone does their own thing.
Thank you for this post. I was thinking the same thing. I have always ran synthetic in my trucks, but have never had a brand new truck to break in. I was thinking I might want to wait until I get more miles on the truck before switching to synthetic. I might go with regular oil until 10k, blend until 20k and full synthetic after that.

Back