Diesel Owners - Do you shut your truck off when filling up?

FWIW Ford says in the manual that 1 hour idling is the equivalent of putting 25 miles ‘wear’ on the motor - I agree with turning it off if it’s gonna sit more than 5 minutes or so unless you have been running it hard and then it’s def better to let it idle 10 mins or so to help let everything cool down before the oil drops

To keep the AC on when it's 110 outside :)
Exactly the same reason I never shut mine off. Especially if my wife and dog are in the truck. Too dang hot here in FL most of the year.

Exactly the same reason I never shut mine off. Especially if my wife and dog are in the truck. Too dang hot here in FL most of the year.
FYI...It is illegal to leave your vehicle running while refueling it in several different states. It is also dangerous.

I always shut it down, unless towing heavy load, then I idle it for 10 minutes and then it shuts down by itself.

How did these habits get started?

Early diesel fueled trucks (1930’s) had inherent problems. The engine design made for poor starting. The oils were thick and heavy, the fuel tended to gel making the engines hard to start, especially in cold weather. The fuel quality was not as good and was not regulated like it is today.

Over the years fuel engines and technology have improved tremendously, but for some reason the old habit of leaving the engine running has stayed with us.

Myth: Diesel engines need to warm up at idle for 5 to 10 minutes or more especially on cold days before driving them.
Fact: This is one of the most common myths about diesel engines. Most engine manufacturers recommend that newer diesel engines idle for no more than 3 minutes before driving.

Gelling of diesel fuel used to be a problem. Refiners have resolved this problem by making winter blends that work better in colder weather. We also have additives that can be put in the fuel during extreme low temperatures.

Letting an engine idle actually does more damage to the engine than starting and stopping. Running an engine at idle causes twice the wear on internal parts com- pared to driving at highway speeds. Idling will increase maintenance cost and shorten the life of the engine.

Myth: Diesel engine idling does not waste much fuel.
Fact: Fuel is one of the largest operating expenses in our industry. Idling adversely impacts us by increasing fuel and maintenance expenses. One hour of idling time in a pickup consumes about one gallon of fuel. The larger the engine the more fuel consumed. A gallon of diesel costs over $3.20 per gallon now and is expected to climb this year. With the number of pickups, heavy trucks and equipment we operate, the cost of idling adds up quickly.

How did these habits get started?

Early diesel fueled trucks (1930’s) had inherent problems. The engine design made for poor starting. The oils were thick and heavy, the fuel tended to gel making the engines hard to start, especially in cold weather. The fuel quality was not as good and was not regulated like it is today.

Over the years fuel engines and technology have improved tremendously, but for some reason the old habit of leaving the engine running has stayed with us.

Myth: Diesel engines need to warm up at idle for 5 to 10 minutes or more especially on cold days before driving them.
Fact: This is one of the most common myths about diesel engines. Most engine manufacturers recommend that newer diesel engines idle for no more than 3 minutes before driving.

Gelling of diesel fuel used to be a problem. Refiners have resolved this problem by making winter blends that work better in colder weather. We also have additives that can be put in the fuel during extreme low temperatures.

Letting an engine idle actually does more damage to the engine than starting and stopping. Running an engine at idle causes twice the wear on internal parts com- pared to driving at highway speeds. Idling will increase maintenance cost and shorten the life of the engine.

Myth: Diesel engine idling does not waste much fuel.
Fact: Fuel is one of the largest operating expenses in our industry. Idling adversely impacts us by increasing fuel and maintenance expenses. One hour of idling time in a pickup consumes about one gallon of fuel. The larger the engine the more fuel consumed. A gallon of diesel costs over $3.20 per gallon now and is expected to climb this year. With the number of pickups, heavy trucks and equipment we operate, the cost of idling adds up quickly.

I this is a great piece of info ... But the only thing that changes is the cost of diesel based on the place as here in md it is 2.20 and when I was on my road trip in kansas I got diesel at a exxon for 1.69 and regular was 1.99 there

But when I was on my road trip Maryland to Uath then to Tennessee I never saw anything saying you can't idle when your fueling now I was towing and every station was a trucking station so they have way less warning and stickers or anything really on that side but I was towing 16k lbs so I let it idle when fueling and if I can into get food ... But not going in the store .... The gf always fucking take 30 to 2 hours .... Pisses me off ... But if idling really does alot of damage why does they really say more about it ... I under 1 hour of idling equals 25 miles of life but at times I would be driving 60 miles in a hour as well ... What has more wear and tear on the truck

FYI...It is illegal to leave your vehicle running while refueling it in several different states. It is also dangerous.

It may be illegal in some states but it usually referring to gasoline.

Refueling a Diesel engine while it is running is not dangerous though.
Diesel fuel is not volatile the way gasoline is, there are no flammable vapors, it is basically a light grade oil. I work in a department that manages close to 200 stationary Diesel generators and we refuel them while running as a practice.
we even change the fuel filters while they are running if we have redundant fuel filters In the system.

It may be illegal in some states but it usually referring to gasoline.

Refueling a Diesel engine while it is running is not dangerous though.
Diesel fuel is not volatile the way gasoline is, there are no flammable vapors, it is basically a light grade oil. I work in a department that manages close to 200 stationary Diesel generators and we refuel them while running as a practice.
we even change the fuel filters while they are running if we have redundant fuel filters In the system.
I don't normally refuel my truck at the diesel only pumps. There is usually a gas vehicle refueling across from me. Diesel is not flamable but gasoline is. Diesel is combustible. That is why I shut my truck off and watch out for any sparks or anything that might ignite the gasser across from me.

Diesel engines do not have any spark most likely you’ll spot a unicorn before your diesel is going to start a gas station on fire

Good info. I don't think it's a completely Incorrect myth then, it's just the time has gone down. Idle for 3 minutes instead of 5-10 minutes is not exactly Myth Busters over here.

Hell it depends on my mood, weather, whos/whats in the truck. Gas or diesel, i do what i want.

Good info. I don't think it's a completely Incorrect myth then, it's just the time has gone down. Idle for 3 minutes instead of 5-10 minutes is not exactly Myth Busters over here.
"...idle for no more than 3 minutes before driving..." means that it is not necessary to idol at all before driving. That is your Myth Buster.

Latest Discussions

Back