Changing Tires

tlsu1112

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor
Has anybody changed their duratrac
Tires to another tire and had improvements in towing a trailer that was previously swaying.

I Pull a long travel trailer toy hauler and when when gets blowing above 15 miles an hour it’s terrible to pull.

I have a ProPride Hitch and Airbags.

Add a rear sway bar to truck.
Yep, what WVBKW said .. Helwig Big-Wig has been my choice for many years. They're like everything else for these trucks, get it ordered if ya want it. Road-Master is another brand that has a good reputation. I just don't have any experience with them.

Tires to another tire and had improvements in towing a trailer that was previously swaying.

I Pull a long travel trailer toy hauler and when when gets blowing above 15 miles an hour it’s terrible to pull.

I know of a couple of people with the ProPride or Hensley hitch that eliminated the sway by turning off the truck's anti-sway control. Evidently, in certain situations, the truck's anti-sway control doesn't work well with this style of hitch.
You can find the setting in the Trailer Setup Menu. The default on startup is "on", so you have to turn it off every time you start the truck.
If I remember correctly, this info came right from ProPride or Hensley.

Yep, what WVBKW said .. Helwig Big-Wig has been my choice for many years. They're like everything else for these trucks, get it ordered if ya want it. Road-Master is another brand that has a good reputation. I just don't have any experience with them.
Got the Hellwig already on there.

What did you tow this trailer with prior to the Tremor?

How many miles on the Duratracs?

Trailer specs (length, weight, etc)?

A "long" travel trailer being towed with anything with 285/75 tires is going to sway.

our trucks are tall and out tires are mushy.

Switching to 20" rims would help
Switching to HT (highway tread) or even milder (less aggressive, harder compound) AT tires would help
Adding rear sway might help (OP already has one)
Reverse level might help
Proper tongue weight would help
Better trailer tires would help
A Dually would fix it

Every travel trailer I've ever towed with numerous different trucks has had sway. Sure there are things you can do to limit it, but its going to have it. It's physics or something.

What did you tow this trailer with prior to the Tremor?

How many miles on the Duratracs?

Trailer specs (length, weight, etc)?
Only towed it with this truck. I have 17,000 on them. Trailer is 38.5 foot long and dry weight 9,400. Got plenty of tongue weight at like almost 1,800 lbs as per my scale. It’s not really sway more of a bad “wiggle” as I go down the road.

A "long" travel trailer being towed with anything with 285/75 tires is going to sway.

our trucks are tall and out tires are mushy.

Switching to 20" rims would help
Switching to HT (highway tread) or even milder (less aggressive, harder compound) AT tires would help
Adding rear sway might help (OP already has one)
Reverse level might help
Proper tongue weight would help
Better trailer tires would help
A Dually would fix it

Every travel trailer I've ever towed with numerous different trucks has had sway. Sure there are things you can do to limit it, but its going to have it. It's physics or something.
I’m thinking a dually is what I need. Can’t find a gasser though with the 7.3. I’ve added sway bar, bags, new trailer tires and things have improved I must say. Still not there yet.

Last edited:
38' at over 10k loaded is a lot of trailer. There is a lot of leverage against the sidewalls of your tires when the wind and wind wash from big rigs hits the "box" of the trailer at weird angles.

Others might have a hitch set up that works better or worse for calming it down but either way that's a lot of trailer on tall truck sidewalls.

Go diesel and you'll never look back. :cool:

Back