Can a Dealership do this??? (I didn't see this coming)

Just a side note to this observation by Sccritterkiller, I have had two dealerships confirm that Ford is not even building any stock lot trucks to sell. I'm close with an owner of a local Ford dealership and he confirmed that Ford is only building "special orders" (custom orders) at this time for Super Duties due to the chip shortage.

That being said for the OP of this thread, I can see why so many dealerships are trying to jump at the chance to sell any truck that they "can get their hands on".

I don’t know what to make of all this. Seems a little odd, but still feel for the dude if he was really wanting this truck. Lives in Arizona, close with an owner of a local Ford dealership, placed two orders for trucks out of state (Utah and Pennsylvania).

Hoping the OP can shed some light on this for us. Not to mention the last sentence of his post. 👀

Last edited:
Understand your comments. Bottom line is we only have one side of the story. While I feel Bad for the OP ------- bottom line is he planned poorly.

There is a saying that rings true here do not know who it is attributed to however, I have come to embrace it more and more. "Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part"

Everyone can learn a lesson from this.
I would have to disagree with this statement about poor planning, and yet that comes with some irony as well. I'll get to that shortly. As others have pointed out, I did order a second truck from Chapman Ford due to their 4% below Invoice offer that they had going because I was concerned that something could happen to my order (kind of like what I eventually experienced) and so I figured that it was safe to hedge my bet by ordering a second truck (plus I had a $3500 PCO). The irony is that the Utah truck was "my dream" build and once I knew that I had that one with a build date, I changed my Chapman truck at the last minute (you'll see the mention of that in the other thread) to what my business partner wanted for a new work truck since the order banks were closing on April 1st. The thing is that I changed the Chapman truck to his specs because that was now going to be his truck. So now I have to laugh that he'll get his truck at a smoking price and I'll be waiting to put in my order for a 23MY Tremor. (Maybe I'll get lucky enough to have a PCO available when I put in that order or maybe Chapman will still be running that deal! LOL)

As for my issues with the Utah dealership. I only wanted to start this thread to enlighten other members here that you need to be careful with these dealerships because they are more than eager to sell to someone else if you don't move quick enough (especially if you have some sort of Ford discount or X-plan on a Tremor that they can sell with an ADM). I'll admit that I have to assume some blame in all this since I felt that because I had a deposit on the truck, that guaranteed me the first right of refusal on the truck. I should've ditched out on my commitments, but those were to my children, the Army, and the youth group with which I volunteer. Someone mentioned that I should've done the deal over the internet. Good point! I did try to complete the deal over the internet because they needed me to complete my financing online. I have over an 800 credit score, so that was the least of my concerns. I asked them for the forms online, or at least the website that I needed to go to fill out the forms from my salesman. Nothing. I sent him my email address again. Still nothing. His only response was that I needed to give him 'in writing' that I didn't want the truck. That was the least of my intentions! I refused to do that because I just needed a few days to sell my 2018 Ram.....and I did have it committed for sale shortly. I don't feel like that was too much to ask. The SM later said that since I didn't fill out the online financing form, that was interpreted by them as my indication that I didn't want the truck. I told the SM that they didn't ever send me the financing form or a link to it, even though I had asked for it, and he said that was still on me.(??)
The interesting side note about the 2018 Ram truck is that my salesman called me in late December to tell me that "it could be up to two years before you see your Tremor". I told him that there was a used Ram at a dealership in Utah near him that I'd found because I was looking out of fear of not getting a truck, and he recommended that I buy that one "because the truck market is so good right now that we'll give you a good trade on that truck". So I flew up two weeks later to buy that Ram at the recommendation of my salesman. I figured that when my Tremor showed up that we'd have no issue trading it in "because the market was so good". During that conversation, he did say that I was lucky that they were willing to still honor the X-plan, but they would not honor a PCO or any other discounts because of the market conditions. The SM repeated that sentiment this week and acted like I had won the lottery in that they were still "willing" to honor the x-plan price and that's why he was "shocked" that I didn't bust up there that day to purchase the truck. When the Tremor arrived, my salesman told me immediately that "the terms have changed now that you have that Ram. I was expecting this to be a fully financed deal." Then he gave me a lowball offer for the trade of the Ram and I knew that I could sell my truck for much more (and I did have that offer quickly). The Ram wasn't and shouldn't of been a surprise or a sticking point because he essentially told me to go buy it in December. The reality is that I found out later from the sales manager that they had actually already sold my Tremor the day that they ghosted me when I asked for the financing forms and didn't give it to them in writing that they could sell it to someone else. That was all a whole week before Ford had indicated 3 different times that the truck would be arriving at the dealership (June 8th). I let him know when the truck arrived that June 18th would be the soonest that I could get to Utah being that it's 700 miles away and I had prior obligations. The humor in this is that the 3 weekends before the truck arrived, I had nothing going on! That's why I kept calling Ford to see when the exact arrival date would be because I was trying to be ready (I'd call that proper planning) and when they kept saying June 8th, I figured that was good timing. Again, I'm glad that I didn't purchase that flight or sell the Ram, or I would be without a truck right now. Now I laugh because my business partner is getting a new truck and I'm going to be waiting to order a 23. I should've never changed that order! On a bright side, I've been into diesels since I drove diesel tractors on the farm as a boy and so I'm enjoying the 18 inline Cummins..... and at least I have a truck to drive! I'm not planning on suing anybody and now that it's been a week, I'm pretty calm about the whole ordeal. Again, I was very upset when I posted this because I had waited almost 9 months for my truck to arrive, but now I hope that others waiting for their trucks can learn from this and not make the same mistake that I did! So yes, I'm saying to forego your HS daughter's last club volleyball tournament of the year, go AWOL for your Army drill weekends, and ditch out on the youth group that can't go on their annual high adventure without proper adult supervision!! They'll all live! You might not if you don't get your new Tremor that you waited so patiently for! ;D LOL

I would have to disagree with this statement about poor planning, and yet that comes with some irony as well. I'll get to that shortly. As others have pointed out, I did order a second truck from Chapman Ford due to their 4% below Invoice offer that they had going because I was concerned that something could happen to my order (kind of like what I eventually experienced) and so I figured that it was safe to hedge my bet by ordering a second truck (plus I had a $3500 PCO). The irony is that the Utah truck was "my dream" build and once I knew that I had that one with a build date, I changed my Chapman truck at the last minute (you'll see the mention of that in the other thread) to what my business partner wanted for a new work truck since the order banks were closing on April 1st. The thing is that I changed the Chapman truck to his specs because that was now going to be his truck. So now I have to laugh that he'll get his truck at a smoking price and I'll be waiting to put in my order for a 23MY Tremor. (Maybe I'll get lucky enough to have a PCO available when I put in that order or maybe Chapman will still be running that deal! LOL)

As for my issues with the Utah dealership. I only wanted to start this thread to enlighten other members here that you need to be careful with these dealerships because they are more than eager to sell to someone else if you don't move quick enough (especially if you have some sort of Ford discount or X-plan on a Tremor that they can sell with an ADM). I'll admit that I have to assume some blame in all this since I felt that because I had a deposit on the truck, that guaranteed me the first right of refusal on the truck. I should've ditched out on my commitments, but those were to my children, the Army, and the youth group with which I volunteer. Someone mentioned that I should've done the deal over the internet. Good point! I did try to complete the deal over the internet because they needed me to complete my financing online. I have over an 800 credit score, so that was the least of my concerns. I asked them for the forms online, or at least the website that I needed to go to fill out the forms from my salesman. Nothing. I sent him my email address again. Still nothing. His only response was that I needed to give him 'in writing' that I didn't want the truck. That was the least of my intentions! I refused to do that because I just needed a few days to sell my 2018 Ram.....and I did have it committed for sale shortly. I don't feel like that was too much to ask. The SM later said that since I didn't fill out the online financing form, that was interpreted by them as my indication that I didn't want the truck. I told the SM that they didn't ever send me the financing form or a link to it, even though I had asked for it, and he said that was still on me.(??)
The interesting side note about the 2018 Ram truck is that my salesman called me in late December to tell me that "it could be up to two years before you see your Tremor". I told him that there was a used Ram at a dealership in Utah near him that I'd found because I was looking out of fear of not getting a truck, and he recommended that I buy that one "because the truck market is so good right now that we'll give you a good trade on that truck". So I flew up two weeks later to buy that Ram at the recommendation of my salesman. I figured that when my Tremor showed up that we'd have no issue trading it in "because the market was so good". During that conversation, he did say that I was lucky that they were willing to still honor the X-plan, but they would not honor a PCO or any other discounts because of the market conditions. The SM repeated that sentiment this week and acted like I had won the lottery in that they were still "willing" to honor the x-plan price and that's why he was "shocked" that I didn't bust up there that day to purchase the truck. When the Tremor arrived, my salesman told me immediately that "the terms have changed now that you have that Ram. I was expecting this to be a fully financed deal." Then he gave me a lowball offer for the trade of the Ram and I knew that I could sell my truck for much more (and I did have that offer quickly). The Ram wasn't and shouldn't of been a surprise or a sticking point because he essentially told me to go buy it in December. The reality is that I found out later from the sales manager that they had actually already sold my Tremor the day that they ghosted me when I asked for the financing forms and didn't give it to them in writing that they could sell it to someone else. That was all a whole week before Ford had indicated 3 different times that the truck would be arriving at the dealership (June 8th). I let him know when the truck arrived that June 18th would be the soonest that I could get to Utah being that it's 700 miles away and I had prior obligations. The humor in this is that the 3 weekends before the truck arrived, I had nothing going on! That's why I kept calling Ford to see when the exact arrival date would be because I was trying to be ready (I'd call that proper planning) and when they kept saying June 8th, I figured that was good timing. Again, I'm glad that I didn't purchase that flight or sell the Ram, or I would be without a truck right now. Now I laugh because my business partner is getting a new truck and I'm going to be waiting to order a 23. I should've never changed that order! On a bright side, I've been into diesels since I drove diesel tractors on the farm as a boy and so I'm enjoying the 18 inline Cummins..... and at least I have a truck to drive! I'm not planning on suing anybody and now that it's been a week, I'm pretty calm about the whole ordeal. Again, I was very upset when I posted this because I had waited almost 9 months for my truck to arrive, but now I hope that others waiting for their trucks can learn from this and not make the same mistake that I did! So yes, I'm saying to forego your HS daughter's last club volleyball tournament of the year, go AWOL for your Army drill weekends, and ditch out on the youth group that can't go on their annual high adventure without proper adult supervision!! They'll all live! You might not if you don't get your new Tremor that you waited so patiently for! ;D LOL
@dc3655 thank you for taking the time to clarify some points that were brought up by me and others. That makes sense about your second truck and only adds to the unfortunate string of events! I'm glad to see you moving past it with the right attitude. Have a great weekend.

@dc3655

Sit down. Keep your cool. Write out your complaint AND your ask of Ford. Send an email to Jim Farley.

To get in touch with Ford CEO Jim Farley, you can share your concern by sending your request by email. Please take a note of his official email address, President and CEO Email Address: [email protected].

Please note that only matters that cannot be solved at lower level management or customer service will be considered on this email.

And thank you for your service.

@dc3655

Sit down. Keep your cool. Write out your complaint AND your ask of Ford. Send an email to Jim Farley.

To get in touch with Ford CEO Jim Farley, you can share your concern by sending your request by email. Please take a note of his official email address, President and CEO Email Address: [email protected].

Please note that only matters that cannot be solved at lower level management or customer service will be considered on this email.

And thank you for your service.
Good advice. Note that they screen this account - A well thought out email has a chance of being read, unhinged rants don't.

I've watched this thread, and here's my $.02.

I ordered from Granger in IA. From day one, in every communication 90% conversations ( I had the cell # for my salesman) and 10% texts, I was very clear about expectations, and made sure to ask any questions as they arose. I also built a good working relationship with my salesman, and we communicated regularly. I knew when the truck arrived, I would be taken care of. I also was very comfortable with all the terms laid out, the "fine print" and the process I went through ordering.

Bottom line is he was dealing with 100's of customers, I was dealing with ONE salesman... I took it upon my self to make sure my $82K purchase was tracked and went smoothly. I sold my previous vehicle way in advance and made sure I had ZERO blockers to picking up my truck at the earliest possible opportunity.

I would not hesitate to do business again with Granger.

Back