Cabin Filters

xler8r

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Just curious what (if any) cabin filters everyone has found. I'm not thrilled with the OEM one, too much smell from outside gets in. Seems like the NAPA Gold or Platinum are the best options for upgrade?

Check out this thread:

The MicroGard filter is the ultimate for, well, filtering. Carbon filter does the heavy lifting for smells, N95 HEPA for particulates. The downside it is notably restricts airflow. I've been OK with that, others are not OK with it.

Worth noting that coming up on a year and 15,000 miles with the MicroGard, its ability to block smells has basically worn off.

Last edited:
I put a Bosch Hepa filter in and it made a big difference in the air output from the fan. Got to crank the fan up definitely better fitter but does change heater output. Put it in when we where having a huge wildfire seems to have helped.

Just curious what (if any) cabin filters everyone has found. I'm not thrilled with the OEM one, too much smell from outside gets in. Seems like the NAPA Gold or Platinum are the best options for upgrade?
I used a bosch and it restricted so much air that I lost a lot of volume for the AC in the summer

@cavementech I assume you are referring to https://www.knfilters.com/33-5100-replacement-air-filter correct? I didn't think this was a Cabin filter since the page makes claims around Engine performance...

@ccw which of these did you go with? Just curious https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...automotive-truck-2022-ford-f-350-super-duty?A

I've noticed that air from even people hot boxing their car in front of me will even come in...so I'm keen to "unfuck" this situation. Not to mention if it helps solve what I went through in the Miami Tunnel that I posted about a while back...

I purchased the K&N cabin filter. I had to choose a 2022 but they are exactly the same.
I was able to use the one from my 2016 F150 same size. Reminds me probably time to pull it and clean it.

Just go with any charcoal media filter. Some of the “hepa” labeled filters are too restrictive.

I've noticed that air from even people hot boxing their car in front of me will even come in...so I'm keen to "unfuck" this situation. Not to mention if it helps solve what I went through in the Miami Tunnel that I posted about a while back...

I didn't see you make any mention of how you run the climate control.

1) Hit the RECIRC button. What you are describing is related to your system is pulling air IN from the outside. RECIRC will shut off the outside, and recirculate the interior air. Use at your own discretion if you have issues with beans or spicy foods.

2) I found my filters at O'Rileys as listed in the previous posts linked by @ccw . Well worth the monies. 💰 💰 💰

@cavementech I assume you are referring to https://www.knfilters.com/33-5100-replacement-air-filter correct? I didn't think this was a Cabin filter since the page makes claims around Engine performance...

@ccw which of these did you go with? Just curious https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...automotive-truck-2022-ford-f-350-super-duty?A

What is this "hot boxing" of which you speak? 🤔

@HeavyAssault - I basically leave Recirc on all the time. Unfortunately though, I get everything from other vehicles diesel exhaust and other noticeable smells from outside coming in... So I'm actually hoping something with a better seal will help solve this issue. I've been to multiple dealers that run diagnostics on the automatic door for the a/c and they say its working properly...

This one: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...motive-truck-2022-ford-f-350-super-duty?pos=0

To emphasize, be prepared for a notable drop-off in airflow (particularly because of the HEPA filter aspect). But only the worst diesel exhaust will make it through until the carbon filter fills up with smells. :D

This NAPA platinum one seems pretty comparable, if not identical to those MicroGard ones, might come down to which is closer and has it in stock :D
Make sure it has a carbon filter/element. That's what does the heavy lifting for eliminating smells.

I think I'm going to try that on @ccw and just see how things flesh out; partially since there's an O'Rielly auto right down the street, lol. I have a sneaking suspicion that the blending door likes to have a mind of its own...bring in outside air whenever it wants despite my recirc being on... if I'm still having issues with exterior smells dropping into the cabin...I'll probably have to call Ford directly.

• Winner
Reactions: ccw
I think I'm going to try that on @ccw and just see how things flesh out; partially since there's an O'Rielly auto right down the street, lol. I have a sneaking suspicion that the blending door likes to have a mind of its own...bring in outside air whenever it wants despite my recirc being on... if I'm still having issues with exterior smells dropping into the cabin...I'll probably have to call Ford directly.
Sounds good! Good luck! And that is strange with your recirc. There's always a delay for the smell to go away after turning recirc on, of course, but it's always worked for me.

Like a few others on here I ended up going with K&N. Mostly because I was tired of the fan running on high and having no air movement due to the restriction of the OEM. The K&N does a good job of filtering and reduced the restriction of the air flow. It seems to seal pretty well too as it is pretty tight in the housing, at least for me.

Like a few others on here I ended up going with K&N. Mostly because I was tired of the fan running on high and having no air movement due to the restriction of the OEM. The K&N does a good job of filtering and reduced the restriction of the air flow. It seems to seal pretty well too as it is pretty tight in the housing, at least for me.
Plus, all k&n filters are washable 👍😉

I’m running the stock filter and have found the airflow abysmal since new.

Back